Clues, Challenge, and Chaos

By Kakita Shiro, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

I love this:

ahc01-unexpected-courage.png unexpected-courage2.png

Unexpected Courage is back!

I feel like I'd rather have a chaos die (or dice) than some bag of counters. This article actually makes me hesitate on whether or not to purchase the game. Maybe I'll feel better after a few more articles.

I feel like I'd rather have a chaos die (or dice) than some bag of counters. This article actually makes me hesitate on whether or not to purchase the game. Maybe I'll feel better after a few more articles.

But they even said that the compostion of the bag changes over time. Imagine trying to do that with dice! :blink:

I love this:

ahc01-unexpected-courage.png unexpected-courage2.png

Even the art looks like a hobbit. Bet that was a little fun on the designer's part. Hopefully its not as OP as the old one!

But they even said that the compostion of the bag changes over time. Imagine trying to do that with dice! :blink:

By adding another die or replacing it with another one? Like how they added the blessing/curse die to Elder Sign?

I have to say I had the exact opposite reaction, this article made me way more interested. I had sort of dismissed this game out of hand(try to limit my LCG's) but today's preview info has really intrigued me.

I get why some people can be turned off by a pull bag and it's randomness and lack of "elegance or simplicity". The scalibility and thematic possibilities of the draw bag really excites me. I am similarly supportive of the rune casting system in Runebound 3. While it would pure insanity to have these types of mechanics in true competitive games like Netrunner, in games that are in large part about emergent narrative I say go for it. The more thematic the better from my perspective even if it can lead to swinginess that is part of the fun and drama of the game.

(Obviously this all comes with the caveat that I may be proven wrong and this may take too much player agency out of the game. I will certainly be paying way more attention though,)

Max 1 committed "what"? An investigator? An ally? An attribute? I feel like a word is missing in that sentence. Or is it saying you can only have one Unexpected Courage active during a skill test? Either way, it just reads weird to me.

That is interesting...It actually made me feel more confident that the chaos bag will be an interesting mechanic..different strokes.

Max 1 committed "what"? An investigator? An ally? An attribute? I feel like a word is missing in that sentence. Or is it saying you can only have one Unexpected Courage active during a skill test? Either way, it just reads weird to me.

I think it has to do with the two question mark icons on the left margin...you can discard it during a test to add two of any of the challenge icons (will, intelligence, combat or agility) to a skill test. So it is very flexible, but doesn't have any other effect than as a boost when you discard it. So the text is just specifying that you can't use multiple copies for a single test.

It IS a really cool homage to the LOTR card...

Unexpected Courage is back!

...When you least expected it!

A hint at a possible lesson learned from LOTR:

Your bag of chaos tokens changes based upon your campaign and the difficulty level at which you play through your campaign.

(Emphasis mine).

So it looks like we will have "easy mode" (or whatever they decide to call it) from the very start instead of tacked on later.

Did you see that two more of the investigators were spoiled in the example layout:

Agnes Baker and Skids O'Toole.

One of those cards.

Your bag of chaos tokens changes based upon your campaign and the difficulty level at which you play through your campaign.

(Emphasis mine).

So it looks like we will have "easy mode" (or whatever they decide to call it) from the very start instead of tacked on later.

We already know the game has four difficulty settings.

(Emphasis mine).

We already know the game has four difficulty settings.

Yes, the four difficulty settings, at least in the rulebook at GenCon, are:

• Easy (I want to experience the story)
  • Standard (I want a challenge)
  • Hard (I want a true nightmare)
  • Expert (I want Arkham Horror)

I took a picture of this (and some other parts of the rule book), but I'm not sure how to post it to the forum.

Edited by cparadis

Pictures have to be hosted elsewhere then you can link to them here using url of picture

What? A non 0 level card in base set? Wow that really made the theory of only level 0 cards in the core set completely gone. I am really cannot figure out any more how deck building works in there.

Edited by soul31

What? A non 0 level card in base set? Wow that really made the theory of only level 0 cards in the core set completely gone. I am really cannot figure out any more how deck building works in there.

We saw non level zero cards in the initial announcement.

They're needed for upgrades. I'm guessing there are enough scenarios in the box that you'll level up at least a couple of times.

You have a level limit and class limit, but you start the investigator at the lowest level, presumably. Then you gain experience for finishing the investigations, which is spent on replacing cards with higher level versions. So your class skills start at 0 but can reach 5 through the campaigns, and secondary ones wouldn't go higher than 2 (or whatever the investigator has as their limit).

With the deck requirement of exactly 30 selectable cards I don't think you can choose higher skill levels than 0 when starting a new investigator either.

By adding another die or replacing it with another one? Like how they added the blessing/curse die to Elder Sign?

oh please, give it a rest. if you don't like it, don't buy it. just as i've told every other person that complains about it.

why don't you take a d6, and every time you pull a token out of the bag, you can roll it... does that make it better?

The fact that that game has had a single new die added ever since publication tends to work against your own point, not in favour of it. Clearly, when you add, remove and exchange tokens it's possible to change the odds and possibilities much more simply, and at a much more granular level than is possible when adding, removing and exchanging dice.

App is still the best way to go.

App is still the best way to go.

yeah, sure best way to go.. whatever. because sticking your hand into a bag takes more effort. -_-

there's another thread where i explain how to pull tokens out of a bag, if anyone is having issues wondering how it works, you should check it out. it's pretty easy. good luck.