Deckard's gun = bolt pistol?

By Professor Tanhauser, in Deathwatch

In the movie 'Blade runner' Deckard carried a farily large pistol that seemed to fire exploding projectiles. Does anyo e else think it was roughly equal o a bolt pistol? It was buikt to takr out replicants who were generally tougher abd strobger than humans. I wobder if it wss mesnt to be kire piwerful than a normal gun meant to wotk on humans.

In the movie 'Blade runner' Deckard carried a farily large pistol that seemed to fire exploding projectiles. Does anyo e else think it was roughly equal o a bolt pistol? It was buikt to takr out replicants who were generally tougher abd strobger than humans. I wobder if it wss mesnt to be kire piwerful than a normal gun meant to wotk on humans.

mmm . . . that spelling.

Now, now. If I remember correctly, Prof is posting from his smartphone.

Personally I'd still take the time to fix stuff, but I understand not everyone may want to bother. Ever since my gamescom "week off" from the PC, I know how obnoxious it can be to struggle with those tiny buttons (I'm using an S3 Mini ). ;)

Now, now. If I remember correctly, Prof is posting from his smartphone.

Personally I'd still take the time to fix stuff, but I understand not everyone may want to bother. Ever since my gamescom "week off" from the PC, I know how obnoxious it can be to struggle with those tiny buttons (I'm using an S3 Mini ). ;)

I know it was probably just smart phone posting. I just thought it was funny. ^_^

The nature of Deckard's pistol is a topic that has been long speculated on:

http://futurewarstories.blogspot.ie/2014/08/the-weapons-of-sci-fi-deckards-blaster.html

What Does the PKD Detective Special Fire?

The simple answer, we do not know. From a fictional in-universe prospective, it is never explained, nor is the PKD ever shown on-screen being reloaded. In the original text, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? , the Deckard character there used an "laser pistol" or "laser tube". In the 1997 Westwood CD PC game, the junior Rep-Det Roy McCoy uses an standard issue 2019 Detective Special. According to this game, Rep-Detect handgun fires .45 ammunition. No mention if it .45 Long or .45 ACP. This is the first mention and one only references to the PKD firing .45. When we examine the original prop, the working portion is an Charter Arms Bulldog revolver that only chambers the then-popular .44 Magnum round. Some fans and prop-model makers have assumed that it fires some sort of futuristic ammunition, mostly caseless. It is likely that due to the M41A1 Pulse Rifle that fans have attached the casless ammo theory to the 2019 Blaster.

Chief among these internet fan speculations of what the 2019 blaster chambers, is the 10mm caseless round or even the 12mm. Of course, the 10mm was what the M41A1 Pulse Rifle fired and 12mm is very close to the .50 pistol round found in the very popular IMI Desert Eagle .50 Action Express hand cannon. Some of the prop replicas sold today, are stamped with various calibers on the barrel. Some say .44, others 10mm, and some even say 12mm. Even noted experts on the M2019, Richard Coyle and Phil Steinschneider, believe that the M219 fires caseless ammunition (based on the design of the weapon) and that is fires some sort of "special ammo". The scene with Roy Batty in the Bradbury apartments is often cited as the example of when Deckard fires the special ammo and reloads the Detective Special. That reload scene is supposed to be in the Work Print of BR .

Since I own the obsessive fan 5-disc Ultimate Collection Briefcase edition of BLADE RUNNER , #49983 out of 103000, I popped in the Work Print DVD. After closely examining the section of the Work Print from the time Deckard enters the Bradbury Building to when he drops the pistol, there is no portion where Deckard reloads his sidearm. When he fired on Roy, I slowed down the film and zoomed in, and it is clear that the blast comes from the original barrel. There is some sort of mechanical sound when Deckard takes position behind the door but that is the only clue. The idea of that scene demonstrating the reloading of the M2019 may come from the Marvel comic adaption of the BLADE RUNNER , which is clearly said in the narration dialog box.

The Fictional History of the M2019 Detective Special

This information comes from my unfinished, unauthorized and unpublished BLADE RUNNER book "Lifespan". This book was all about the combat Replicate squads on the off-world colonies and the flesh-and-blood humans that lead them in corporate open warfare to control the best colonial real estate. In 2010, the revolt of a combat team of Nexus-03 Replicates on the off-world colony of Tanhauser Gate caused ripples throughout the colonies and Earth. This resulted in massive policy change, and the banning of Replicates on Earth by the United Nations in 2011. In that same year, Earth-based police departments created specialized units, the Replicate-Detection or commonly known as “Blade Runners”

Answering the call, the German-Japanese firearms manufacture, Pläger-Katumate Arms, rushed a large-framed powered cartridge revolver onto the Law Enforcement and military markets. The standard issue Plager-Katumate series D .44 Magnum revolver soon became the choice of Blade Runners around the globe and some off-world military contractors and officers. Rep-Detect units in LA, Hong Kong, Tokyo, and London were the first to buy and use the series D .44 revolver. The need for such a powerful handgun by these specialized police units was due to the hearty construct of the Replicants.

Built to survive the rigors of colonizing hostile worlds and combat, Replicants were able to absorb greater gunshot trauma than a normal human being. While the relative small size of Blade Runner units keeps the orders for these heavy-hitting revolvers limited, it was an vid program that fueled greater demand. In 2014, the vid-show “Hiding in Plain Sight” starring veteran TV actor Danny Ito portraying an hard-boiled veteran Blade Runner who carried the PK-D handgun. Sells jumped after the first episode. By 2015, Plager-Katumate Arms was fielding several variants of their iconic revolver to serve the increasing market. To help keep up with demand, Plager-Katumate opened an off-world manufacturing facility. Some firearms experts have noted differences between the PK series of revolvers made on Earth and the ones made off-world. It is noted that some of the off-world manufactured PK series revolvers chamber unusual cartridges found on the colonies. It is rumored that Plager-Katumate is working on a magazine-fed automatic pistol. While some PKD pistols have been procured from military sources on the off-world colonies for the purposes of personal defense, the company has no plans to release their famed PK line of pistols to the civilian firearms market.

I like the lawgiver from Judge Dredd. Lot's of ammo types, very deathwatch.

"Double whammy!"

Well, the Adeptus Arbites is an obvious knock-off of Dredd, so that fits.

And don't forget the shotguns!

dredd5.jpg

50437_83c2e8143dff6fecaadf5ffc2cf92c9b.j

Edited by Lynata

tumblr_ncowfpN5qh1s2wio8o2_500.gif

Now deathwatch marines can also take shotguns. (wich look way to much like a normal boltgun for my liking) but they get wyrmbreath rounds (real life equivalent: dragonbreath)

Don't forget the Scouts!

99120101036_SpaceMarinesScouts5NEW04.jpg

The adeptus arbites (judges) minis and the scout minis make useful figures for other SF games. As to arbites with bolters... I say psych value. They tend to fight in city settings so stuff like flamers are a no no. They are not mainline military so plasma guns are dubious. But a bolter, yeah. Imagine some malcontent seeing his leader\rabblerouser take a head hit from obe, abd his whole head explodes from within. Or a chest hit that blows his chest out from inside. Yeah, that's gonna kick the mob's moral in the pants planets.

And shotgun with Fire Selector is real even now: Neostead, Kel-tec KSG. I'm sure I've seen at least prototype of 3-magazine shotgun somewhere in the Net.

They tend to fight in city settings so stuff like flamers are a no no.

Oh, I dunno. Flamethrowers are excellent for close quarters fighting... Its primary disadvantage - low range - is entirely negated here, and you can smoke out entire rooms of squatters without fear of getting shot at because any opponent will already be on fire as/if you enter.

But yeah, bolt weapons in that setting are very much about the psychological effect; same reason gang leaders use them, too. The Necromunda rulebook even specifically points out how they are valued both for their role as a status symbol as well as because of the noise they make. :D

And shotgun with Fire Selector is real even now: Neostead, Kel-tec KSG. I'm sure I've seen at least prototype of 3-magazine shotgun somewhere in the Net.

Nice!

Coincidentally, I was actually planning to acquire a shotgun fire selector for my new DH2 character . 10 rounds pellets, 4 solid slugs, 4 incendiary sound like a good mix? ;)

Maybe I can convince our GM to allow DH1 Executioner rounds some day, too.

My last DH1 Arbiter had a habit to mix regular and blazer shells in his combat shotgun and always wear one blessed round on a chain around his neck .

There's also a double barrle pump action shotgun in mutant chronicles...

178.png

5088300_01_std_mfg_dp_12_12ga_dbl_bbl_pu

... and in real life. (sigh.)

To bad you have to fire both barrels before you can reload.

They tend to fight in city settings so stuff like flamers are a no no.

Oh, I dunno. Flamethrowers are excellent for close quarters fighting... Its primary disadvantage - low range - is entirely negated here, and you can smoke out entire rooms of squatters without fear of getting shot at because any opponent will already be on fire as/if you enter.

But yeah, bolt weapons in that setting are very much about the psychological effect; same reason gang leaders use them, too. The Necromunda rulebook even specifically points out how they are valued both for their role as a status symbol as well as because of the noise they make. :D

Nice!

Coincidentally, I was actually planning to acquire a shotgun fire selector for my new DH2 character . 10 rounds pellets, 4 solid slugs, 4 incendiary sound like a good mix? ;)

Maybe I can convince our GM to allow DH1 Executioner rounds some day, too.

Flamers tend to start fires, fires tend to spread, In a city this might be undesirable.

Flamers tend to start fires, fires tend to spread, In a city this might be undesirable.

Ah, I see what you mean. Well, depending on the environment -- I picture the average Imperial hive to be an urban nightmare of concrete and metal; not much flammable material. But that's just my take on things!