Some advice to enchant the play

By Letanir, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hello everyone!

My playgroup likes the game a lot and we've played around 100 games. While it's still fun to just play we've ecnountered some problems

1. Adding Dunwich and/or Insmouth board drastically decrease chance to win by sealing 6 gates (additionally mythos sometimes just spawn 2 doom tokens). While it's fine to fight the Ancient One, we really don't want to do this every time. So, are we doing something wrong? It there a balanced way to prolong games a bit?

2. Lot of locations are visited extremely rare (almost all of "green locations"). Hunting clue tokens takes the precedent, so these location left over (and there are SO many cards we haven't seen at all). Any ideas how to motivate investigators to go there?

3. We've heard of leagues and that they enchant the way you play Arkham. But most of scenarios are really not that intresting (removing items/investigators is just not fun at all). Maybe there are really cool scenarion which really change the way you play the game?

1. Adding Dunwich and / or Innsmouth requires players to step up their strategy, i.e. to be faster at assembling clues and sending people into OWs with enough clues to seal. I still win 95% of the games I play and most of the victories are by sealing gates, so, it's definitely possible winning. If you really need to prolong the game, skip a Mythos phase every one in a while (like every 3 Mythos you resolve) or something like that

2. Green locations are not so often visited, true. To fix this, you may want to use this very elegant Guardian Amikezor designed, a long time ago:

AShadowFromThePast-Guardian.jpg

3. The problem of most of the Leagues is that they were designed by people not understanding properly the game; the Edge ones were especially terrible under this point of view; so, I'd not look into those. If you really want a challenge, you may join the advanced player league; the link is in my signature, and if you need further explanations, just ask me (I'm currently the administrator for the League, since the creator retired from forum activity)

Letanir,

Julia has provided some excellent suggestions, and I've used one element when hosting multiple players: Start the game with one encounter.

Also, if you get your hands on Kingsport, one of the Guardians greatly encourage the Investigators to take encounters at stable locations.

Cheers,

Joe

I still win 95% of the games I play

Serious suggestion. Have you ever considered a youtube type playthrough video? Kind of instructional tutorial on one of the hardest setups but also narrative adventure? I would certainly watch it with enthusiasm.

Not sure of overhead camera would fit in the whole board/s in enugh detail or if directed handheld type (you see what I see) is better.

It would be a heck of a long job with a lot of work, just wondered if you had considered it.

:)

I thought shortly about it, but truth is that I'm involved in too many projects to actually have time for this. I'm testing and working as rules editor for three different companies, and I wanna start creating some prototypes for games I have in mind, and I want to keep helping new players in the forums, and I still have a family and a life, so, unless you have a time stopper of some sort, there's no way I can start making videos of my games :(

Still, if you have the patience to dig out a few of my old reports, you should have at least an idea of how I play

Anyhoo Alex, the next game I'll play is Rhan-Tegoth + Black Goat of the Woods, with Miskatonic Mythos in, and Dunwich and Kingsport sideboards in play, so, it's almost the toughest setup you could ever have in Arkham (worst would only be with Innsmouth in place of Dunwich). I promise I'll post a report of that game

Fully understood Julia, I know how many games you play per year so I suspected this was the case but wanted to mention anyway :)

For the record, you help around the forums, this game and many others, is very very much appreciated!

Looking forward to any pkay reports you post :)

What's your group size? My rule of thumb is to use 1 investigator per third of an Arkham board. With AH, IH, and DH in play at once, that means to use a minimum of five.

3. We've heard of leagues and that they enchant the way you play Arkham. But most of scenarios are really not that intresting (removing items/investigators is just not fun at all). Maybe there are really cool scenarion which really change the way you play the game?

Hi Letanir,

You may want to try some of the scenarios I posted over on bgg. Give them a try and let me know what you think:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136757/arkham-horror-thematic-scenario-project