Custom Class : Druid

By rugal, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

@Dadler93 another great idea with that token and you did nice job with the graphics @rugal . It makes 100% sense.

In wow you can also find some druid restoration spells with blue tone:
ability_druid_improvedtreeform.jpg?33941 inv_relics_idolofrejuvenation.jpg?33941 spell_nature_healingtouch.jpg?33941

3 minutes ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

@Dadler93 another great idea with that token and you did nice job with the graphics @rugal . It makes 100% sense.

In wow you can also find some druid restoration spells with blue tone:
ability_druid_improvedtreeform.jpg?33941 inv_relics_idolofrejuvenation.jpg?33941 spell_nature_healingtouch.jpg?33941

Thanks, even if I'm not satisfied.
But those are a bit too small to be use

Didn't you worded your "Primal wrath" strangely ? The way is it the druid have 3 actions each turn for free ?

Another tip inspired by your thread and something that dawned on me re playtesting and feedback / refinement and change cycles is thus:

Because the playtesting and feedback loops may lead to things the designer isn't happy/sure about (and a few tensions over which solution works best) perhaps whilst anything is in-development en route to its final version- there's no reason why you can't include some alternatives with some simple explainers, where you're not quite sure which option to go for yet, as an example:

Some play testers suggested that.. so you may wish to use this alternative rule.....

That kind of thing, that way if there's anything you're not sure about while things are being developed you can give your players the alternative possibilities and keep your options open.

It's also quite good for playtesting/development purposes as it may lead to further feedback on the various options as players will be able to try out such alternatives and see how they play out. If particular sticking points can't be agreed on you may even then be able to give players options in the final version that suit their preferences (there may be certain things that never get agreed on, but you could design this into the finished creation if there are particular problems as some players may prefer one choice over another)

As players it's also worth not being too harsh on anything somebody else has created- if something doesn't seem to work too well for your player group you can always 'house rule' the game so it does work for your group as every group will be different and might have different ways they play or choices they make that could affect how the game plays out for you that need their own solutions for your groups' individual style of play. But be kind to creators- it's hard to arrive at that 'final' 'working' version so you've always got that option of doing your own refinement to get it just right for your group which you can then feed back to the creator as it may help get to a final definitive version, or at least for providing such tips on alternative options.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:46 PM, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

I have the cards printed and ready for some playtesting. For now I don't plan to change them, until I play with them for some time.

Here are the templates if anyone is interested to modify, translate, or anything else with them :
druid - class cards
druid - familiar
druid - item
druid - token

Here is print at home pdf .

druid_preview_en.jpg?pub_secret=191756a0a6

Hi,

first of all, this looks really cool and it's crazy how much work you guys put into it.
I would love to try it out. I have a few questions though.

Gift of Nature:
Does the first part work on knocked out heroes?

Primal Wrath:
to the second part of the card, this means you get 3 actions each turn, is that right? But why at the beginning of each encounter as well?
Does that mean on my first turn in an encounter I would have 4 actions? What's the point of that?

Primitive Heart:
I find it a bit confusing that it says "revive action" and not something like "revive and adjacent hero", since it does not require an action. I guess you did it, so you won't have to add all that "roll two red dice" part?

Primal Force:
I would probably re-word the first part to "Exhaust this card after you revive a hero, that hero gains 2 rejuvenate tokens", just to keep the wording more
in line with the rest.

Apologies if some of it has already been discussed before, I've only skipped through the thread.

I've been thinking about making a druid as well, since that was my favorite class in my WoW days. after looking at all the spells and abilities, it looked too much of an undertaking to me. so, I didn't do it. you can probably create a druid for each archetype using the different druid specs. But who has the time, right?

Anyway, great job guys!

8 hours ago, Hendolph said:

Hi,

first of all, this looks really cool and it's crazy how much work you guys put into it.

Rugal did incredible job with this design all credits go to him, what an designer! He is developing this class over 7 years: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1007758/shapeshifter !

Gift of Nature:

No, I recommend looking at the CRRG page 13 about Defeated (knocked out) heroes.
" [A knocked out hero may not] be affected by abilities or effects (except healing effects, see below), as he is not on the map and spaces cannot be counted to him. ".

Primal Wrath:
to the second part of the card, this means you get 3 actions each turn, is that right? But why at the beginning of each encounter as well?
Does that mean on my first turn in an encounter I would have 4 actions? What's the point of that?

On 5/23/2020 at 11:02 PM, rugal said:

Didn't you worded your "Primal wrath" strangely ? The way is it the druid have 3 actions each turn for free ?

Yes! I screwed this up during translation. Time sentence connectors works slightly different in Czech and English 🤐 .

You should only get 1 extra action at the start of each encounter, when your turn starts. Not 3 actions each turn and 4 at the beginning.

I will correct wording later, thanks 🙂 !

Primitive Heart:
I find it a bit confusing that it says "revive action" and not something like "revive and adjacent hero", since it does not require an action. I guess you did it, so you won't have to add all that "roll two red dice" part?

Yeah, that make sense. "revive an adjacent hero" is better wording, also used on Potent Remedies .

I will apply this change later, thank you! 🙂

Btw, there are some cards like Dungeoneer that also include "action" (search) and of course just cost 1 action and not 2, even though it does not explicitly say "this does not require an action" (like Lurk ).

9 hours ago, Hendolph said:

Primal Force:
I would probably re-word the first part to "Exhaust this card after you revive a hero, that hero gains 2 rejuvenate tokens", just to keep the wording more
in line with the rest.

Sentences are connected with ", to" to reduce amount of text and to be as similar as possible on both Druid and Werewolf part. But your wording is absolutely correct and can be used aswell, I think this is just aesthetic or is there some confusion in current wording?

Apologies if some of it has already been discussed before, I've only skipped through the thread.

This was some really nice feedback! Thank you for contributing!

I've been thinking about making a druid as well, since that was my favorite class in my WoW days. after looking at all the spells and abilities, it looked too much of an undertaking to me. so, I didn't do it. you can probably create a druid for each archetype using the different druid specs. But who has the time, right?

Anyway, great job guys!

You would probably need 4 times as much cards for that 😄 !

Creating the exact druid from WoW with all possibilities is impossible to descent. I'm sorry to say this is the only druid I will do because of the time it took to me.

Hope you will like it !

Edited by rugal
3 hours ago, AwesomeTree_in_the_Dark said:

Rugal did incredible job with this design all credits go to him, what an designer! He is developing this class over 7 years: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1007758/shapeshifter !

No, I recommend looking at the CRRG page 13 about Defeated (knocked out) heroes.
" [A knocked out hero may not] be affected by abilities or effects (except healing effects, see below), as he is not on the map and spaces cannot be counted to him. ".

makes sense. it's not actually healing, it's giving a token that does the healing later on. so yeah, you're right of course

Yes! I screwed this up during translation. Time sentence connectors works slightly different in Czech and English 🤐 .

You should only get 1 extra action at the start of each encounter, when your turn starts. Not 3 actions each turn and 4 at the beginning.

I will correct wording later, thanks 🙂 !

ah right. I still don't really get why you would need an extra action at the beginning of an encounter. Sure, it's nice to have, but encounters usually start slow anyway, which gives plenty of time for recovery. Also, if you were to use the class in Road to Legend, the one extra action at the beginning would be pretty useless. The first part of Primal Wrath is awesome, but all in all it's quite weak for a 3xp skill. you really only use the first part during the encounter and that seems more like a 1xp skill or 2xp max. Primitive Heart gives you an extra attack or a revive action for just 1 fatigue. If you add Misty Step, you'll essentially get 1,5 extra actions (0.5 being "move up to 2 spaces") each turn for just 1 fatigue and 3xp. Doesn't seem to be justified to gain 1 extra heart every turn for 3xp.

I'm not trying to mess with your hard work. These are just things that stuck out to me looking at the cards. I'm obviously late to the party and it's your project.

Yeah, that make sense. "revive an adjacent hero" is better wording, also used on Potent Remedies .

I will apply this change later, thank you! 🙂

Btw, there are some cards like Dungeoneer that also include "action" (search) and of course just cost 1 action and not 2, even though it does not explicitly say "this does not require an action" (like Lurk ).

Dungeoneer actually indicates the action to search with that arrow and it does say "you may perform 1 attack during your turn without using an action". I think Lurk is more what we're talking about. Adding "this does not require an action" (like on Lurk) might make it clearer. I like both actually. the one I proposed and "revive action" plus the part from Lurk. The latter might actually make it more obvious what to do, because a revive action is defined in the rules.

Sentences are connected with ", to" to reduce amount of text and to be as similar as possible on both Druid and Werewolf part. But your wording is absolutely correct and can be used aswell, I think this is just aesthetic or is there some confusion in current wording?

This is pure esthetic. It's perfectly clear what to do here. Lost Legends even introduced new ways to word things, either on purpose or by accident. So, who am I to judge :)

This was some really nice feedback! Thank you for contributing!

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I can imagine how many changes these cards must have seen in the past 7 years. So it already feels weird to come in at the end and add my two cents.

You would probably need 4 times as much cards for that 😄 !

and yeah, it's too much. maybe for a group who can work on it full time, but for the other mortals with normal lives and limited time, it seems impossible. sadly.

So, hat off to Rugal for his dedication!

14 hours ago, Hendolph said:

Hi,

Gift of Nature:

Primal Wrath:

Primitive Heart:

Primal Force:
in line with the rest.

Anyway, great job guys!

My final version is on the first page and should be right

11 hours ago, Hendolph said:

ah right. I still don't really get why you would need an extra action at the beginning of an encounter. Sure, it's nice to have, but encounters usually start slow anyway, which gives plenty of time for recovery. Also, if you were to use the class in Road to Legend, the one extra action at the beginning would be pretty useless. The first part of Primal Wrath is awesome, but all in all it's quite weak for a 3xp skill. you really only use the first part during the encounter and that seems more like a 1xp skill or 2xp max

I don't like road to legend mod so I didn't take it in my work on this druid.

In "classic play", having a extra action during the start of the encounter can help to perform better placement, discard a condition, perform an addtional attack or rest action, and since you may want to morph, give healing tokens to weak heroes from previous encounter, move and rest, for example, you can do it. No so strong, but the card also double your healing abilities, and could be just that for 3 xp in fact.

Primitive Heart gives you an extra attack or a revive action for just 1 fatigue. If you add Misty Step, you'll essentially get 1,5 extra actions (0.5 being "move up to 2 spaces") each turn for just 1 fatigue and 3xp. Doesn't seem to be justified to gain 1 extra heart every turn for 3xp.

You're wrong : it never cost 1 fatigue, but 2, since the card can only be used after you morph from one form to another. So, 2 fatigue to be granted a extra action, and only attack when morphing into werewolf or a revive when morphing back to druid is fair.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I can imagine how many changes these cards must have seen in the past 7 years. So it already feels weird to come in at the end and add my two cents.

You have not, to me at least ;) And don't forget the cards you referecing to have changes from Awesome tree that I'm not according to, and have not been tested as much as I have.

Recently, I've tested many times (around 10) my last druid, and I'm pretty sure he is great (perfect ? :D ) as I have done it.