Box lid split :(

By alexbobspoons, in Mansions of Madness

Upset about this really.

I am a game collector and take very very good care of my games, yet just now with only very slight pressure putting the lid on (you know, to counteract the air needing to escape) it is such a tight fit (or poor glue) that the jointed-corner of the lid just split all the way up.

I know folks will think I was heavy handed but nope not at all, ver very little pressure and pop.

Looking at it, I cannot see any evidence of glue on the card, so I think it was held together by the thick printed paper covering of the box, hence a very weak joint.

Upset. I think this is an awesome game and awesome purchase, but upset at the box :(

It's always a pity when things like this happen. :mellow:

Hmm... even if it's an exotic request, you could try and ask for a replacement?

Damaged/Missing Components Request Service

Should FFG be so kind to send you a replacement, you could craft some sort of "Keeper's Screen" out of the damaged lid. :)

Could be worth trying, Alex. Even if it's odd asking for the replacement of the box (it's not exactly a game component, i.e. you don't need it to play, but to store the game), it's also true that having a box worn out after two weeks of use it's bad. I generally noticed a substantial decrease in quality of boxes over the last 12 months

I imagine international postage of a box lid would be prohibitive but thanks :)

In-country distributors I doubt have anything but wrapped full sets.

I have played twice, but opened the box another once when it came and once to organise components and once to add my new plano box. So its been opened five times in total across just over a week.

It made me also realise, genuinely in 30 years of collecting boardgames and miniature games, this is my first bust box (other than second hand purchases already damaged). Thats saying something considering the FFG boxes are thicker card than most, so I still think the card wasnt glues and it was only the covering paper holding it together.

Probably a bit of good quality tape on it will do :)

Don't understand, Alex, sorry. If they accept your request for replacement, they pay the shipping, not you. I was helped by FFG customer service a few times in the past (missing mini for BattleLore, 3x broken ships for X-Wing, missing sheets and cards and a couple more) and they always sent me the replacements free of charge. And anyone who has used their customer service has received identical treatment. The only question here is if it's something they are sending replacements for or not. I'd suggest to send them a message; worst case scenario, your request is declined

Makes you wonder if they are cutting corners on the packaging as a whole lately as I have noticed a lot of recent game boxes falling to bits, I just noticed my zombicide black plague box has split along 3 sides on the bottom box too, its only been out on games night 2 or 3 times!!

Don't understand, Alex, sorry. If they accept your request for replacement, they pay the shipping, not you. I was helped by FFG customer service a few times in the past (missing mini for BattleLore, 3x broken ships for X-Wing, missing sheets and cards and a couple more) and they always sent me the replacements free of charge. And anyone who has used their customer service has received identical treatment. The only question here is if it's something they are sending replacements for or not. I'd suggest to send them a message; worst case scenario, your request is declined

Thanks Julia, I was meaning that it would be expensive for them just for a lid, so they may not want to as it isnt a "component"

Thanks for the advice though, its worth an email as you say :)

Makes you wonder if they are cutting corners on the packaging as a whole lately as I have noticed a lot of recent game boxes falling to bits, I just noticed my zombicide black plague box has split along 3 sides on the bottom box too, its only been out on games night 2 or 3 times!!

I was wondering to myself the fact that newer boxes feel thicker and tougher than they used to be 10-20 years ago, the card used to be so flimsy (like birthday card material).. and I wondered if thats part of the problem, older boxes flexed a bit, newer boxes dont, they seem so solid (until the edge splits). Add that to the fact I am sure mine wasnt glued and was just wallpapered together, means newer boxes breaking.

Back in 2005 I designed something called Boxsolid. It was a set of 4 clear plastic clips that you could slip over box corners to improve rigidity and avoid splitting and damage. We had a very modest stand at Essen 2005 and everything.

My little venture didn't work for three reasons;

1. I couldn't risk upscaling manufacture to bring the price down to what the market expected;

2. There was an original design problem that needed some edges softening; and

2. The market at the time wasn't big enough - there were not enough broken boxes for it to be a critical problem and also there was not the same appetite for sleeves and protection that there is now.

Every time I read a post like this I wonder wistfully to myself "Hmmm, would they sell better now?" - not that I'm going to go back into production.

I hope you manage to fix the box. That is a long tall seam to repair. I am also wondering if it might be worth puncturing a hole in the base of the box (Heresy!) to let air escape. I have noticed very high resistance to the air compression when putting the lid back on.

I just put in a request as well. One of my bottom seams split and I for the life of me can't figure out why? I guess the air pressure could do it...I opened this only a handful of times and kept it on my shelf until I could play.

FFG has been great to me in the past with replacing a couple damaged items but we'll see about a box. Fingers crossed.