Parasite Cage and Dark/player cards

By pepsIcola2, in Rules Discussions

Hello,

A few questions about this combo...

1.) If the parasite cage is played as a "friend" to a Dark Player card, and his ability is used to take a friend from a Light player, can another copy of that friend be played by the Light character? I believe not, because one is still in play.

2.) Since parasite cage's ability will not return the friend taken by his ability unless parasite cage is defeated, if the Dark Player uses the Parasite Cage in a challenge, will the taken friend return? I would think not because the parasite cage would not be defeated, it would be the player that would be defeated.

3.) If the parasite cage is discarded by some other card ability, will the taken friend return to the player? I would also think not because again, he was not defeated.

Thanks again.

Additional question...

If Parasite cage is destroyed by magic, i. e. using a spell or two to kill the parasite cage. Will the friend be returned to the player? or is killing the cage by magic not defeating it?

1) Yes, they may. Although the friend is still in play, it is no longer on your opponents play field. Therefore, they can still play friends of the same name

2) That is correct. If you play a Paracite Cage as a Friend card, the taken Friend Card is basicly as good as discarded

3) Again, that's correct.

4) Of this, I'm not entirely sure about. I would assume not, as the only time you can use Magic on your opponent's Dark Friends is during the Challenge Phase (and Battles [i.e. Defeats] can only be done during the Action Phase) therefore you're not technically "defeating" the Cage.
However, I can see opposing arguments where this can be so. So I guess I cant' answer your question lol

Thanks!

Another quick question if you have time...

If you defeat Behemoth with magic, do you still have to fight with every friend out?

devilmonkey said:

1) Yes, they may. Although the friend is still in play, it is no longer on your opponents play field. Therefore, they can still play friends of the same name

2) That is correct. If you play a Paracite Cage as a Friend card, the taken Friend Card is basicly as good as discarded

3) Again, that's correct.

4) Of this, I'm not entirely sure about. I would assume not, as the only time you can use Magic on your opponent's Dark Friends is during the Challenge Phase (and Battles [i.e. Defeats] can only be done during the Action Phase) therefore you're not technically "defeating" the Cage.
However, I can see opposing arguments where this can be so. So I guess I cant' answer your question lol

1 and 3 are false DM.

1) If a friend is taken by PC, another copy of the card can not be played since the card is still considered in play, but attached to Parasite Cage (like an actual parasite)

3) If an ability like Herc or Beast bounces/destroys Cage, the friend is then discarded.

4) I really want to say the friend would be discarded since it wasn't defeated in battle.

5) No, Behemoth would be discarded before battle so his effect would not trigger.

really? I thought I remembered a big old deal about Paracite being a friend and "how unfair it'd be if your opponent couldn't play the same friend"? For some reason, I think dutopod was part of the dispute

devilmonkey said:

really? I thought I remembered a big old deal about Paracite being a friend and "how unfair it'd be if your opponent couldn't play the same friend"? For some reason, I think dutopod was part of the dispute

You would be correct DM...and after trudging through this forums atrocious search function...I managed to find the thread.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

If ya sift through the little flame war and argument, there is a legit and official ruling in there somewhere...around page 3 or 4 maybe?

yuck...trudging through that jungle of a rules question thread wasn't the most pleasurable experience. and I'm still not sure I got what I was looking for.

I could have swore for the life of me it worked differently and even finding it I feel more confused.

I think it has something to do with the overly detailed posts that dut put up. They just intimidate you into confusion