Teamwork and compassion saves

By chemical22, in Talisman

Hey Everybody,

We just came off a fun game last weekend.

We had a moment when a new player met Death for the first time ever, and rolled a 1. He had no light fate to save him. So out of compassion, another player threw a dark fate at him to re-roll. As 'un'luck would have it, Death was a stubborn fella, and another 1 was rolled. So the new player ended up learning about Death the hard way.

It created for a pretty cool moment in the game.

So I have a 2 part question:

1. Does anyone else have good stories about Dark Fate used for good or an otherwise compassionate moment in the game?
  2. That got me thinking about team battles. Does anyone play them? I'd love to hear some house rules here.

Cheers!

Edited by chemical22

I have a story that recently happened...

It has always been tradition, as a bunch of dorks, when girls actually play nerd games they get a relative "easy path" and some compassion plays from the group. Our one friends wife(Claire) was playing recently and she faced death, rolled a one and her husband(Rich) spent a dark fate so she could reroll; she rolled a 5. She sent the reaper to our other, very much sadistic friend Shaun, who proceeded to roll a 5 as well. He sent the reaper to the Rich who had spent a dark fate. He rolled his die and rolled a 1. He spent a light fate and rolled another 1. He was pretty much dominating the game at this point with the assassin and dropped all his stuff on the space.

Next turn, Shaun lands on the space with all the stuff and is now the clear favorite to win as he just needed a Talisman and now had it. He went up the tower...got the alternate ending and drew "Horrible Black Void". In the end Claire ended up winning, all because her husband was compassionate. :-P

I have a story that recently happened...

It has always been tradition, as a bunch of dorks, when girls actually play nerd games they get a relative "easy path" and some compassion plays from the group. Our one friends wife(Claire) was playing recently and she faced death, rolled a one and her husband(Rich) spent a dark fate so she could reroll; she rolled a 5. She sent the reaper to our other, very much sadistic friend Shaun, who proceeded to roll a 5 as well. He sent the reaper to the Rich who had spent a dark fate. He rolled his die and rolled a 1. He spent a light fate and rolled another 1. He was pretty much dominating the game at this point with the assassin and dropped all his stuff on the space.

Next turn, Shaun lands on the space with all the stuff and is now the clear favorite to win as he just needed a Talisman and now had it. He went up the tower...got the alternate ending and drew "Horrible Black Void". In the end Claire ended up winning, all because her husband was compassionate. :-P

There's karma for you :) Nice story - had to read it twice to stay with it. A happy wife is a happy life!

Edited by chemical22

I've never used a dark fate to save a friend, but I'm not as aggressive when it's a friendly game. For example, I would never use Misfortune when someone is rolling against the Reaper. Against the Enchantress, yes, but not the Reaper. With as much time as it takes to get together, get set up, and play the game, we want to make sure everyone plays to the end.

I've never used a dark fate to save a friend, but I'm not as aggressive when it's a friendly game. For example, I would never use Misfortune when someone is rolling against the Reaper. Against the Enchantress, yes, but not the Reaper. With as much time as it takes to get together, get set up, and play the game, we want to make sure everyone plays to the end.

But if you die you just get a new character or are you talking about Bloodbath?

It depends on how far into the game we've gone.

So you do not start the game with Bloodbath but someway though you do?

It's not that we forbid anyone from starting a new character. But four hours into the game it's a little demoralizing to try to start a new character, especially when others are making a push to end it.

The only reason to use misfortune is on the Reaper. And if I can go back and dig it up out of the graveyard to use it again, I will do that too! :-)

The only reason to use misfortune is on the Reaper. And if I can go back and dig it up out of the graveyard to use it again, I will do that too! :-)

It depends on who you're playing against and how often you play. If you're in a tournament, I absolutely agree. Kill your enemies as quickly as possible.

For someone like me, I only get to play in person two or three times a year (if even that much). My friends and I get together for a marathon game. We play all the expansions, and we recognize that the game is going to take 4-6 hours.

But we're there to have fun and enjoy each other's company. It just so happens that a Talisman game is going on at the same time. So we never do anything to kill each other off. I think we've even cast Healing spells on each other to lend a helping hand.