Scratching an itch: Mythos

By Magehammer, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

For those of you who have played Eldritch Horror: Thematically speaking, once Arkham Horror LCG comes out, what reasons would you have to play Eldritch Horror if theme is the most important thing when playing a Mythos game?

Or to put it another way: Why buy both games?

Edited by Magehammer

Because they're two very different games?

Eldritch Horror is a world-spanning single play board game focusing on strategically figuring out how to keep the world from ending. Arkham Horror LCG is a campaign driven card game seems to be focusing on individual investigators in a smaller locale responding tactically to specific threats.

Would you ask a wargamer why he plays two different WWII games, one of which was about the politics, economics, production, and strategic considerations of the entire war spanning years and the other which was about tactical squad combat over a particular battlefield? They're both WWII and competitive and have the same opponents, but entirely different gaming experiences.

i love Eldritch Horror, and have played well near 100 games of it. it is a gear up and go kind of game. you build your team, gain information (clues), stockpile weapons, gain skills and spells and complete the mystery.

you also require a solid team.

You need a strong physical or magical fighter for monsters, usually a spellcaster for support, a solid support character, a gatecloser, and a problem solver (high observation).

sometimes they need to be managed into a smaller team.

this is expansive and a "game"

if this doesn't make sense to you, please remove the easy mythos cards!

i'm hoping at least, that Arkham Horror is closer to the Call of Cthulhu RPG game.. small setting, small mystery, imposing odds, high chance for death and insanity. a very controlled setting and story is told.

when i wanna sit down and come up with a strategy against the game that takes 3 hours i'll play Eldritch, for the small setting, quick fix, i hope Arkham will scratch that itch.

I love the Mythos a lot and don't mind having most of my games in its theme. The more the better for me.

I bought Eldritch Horror in 2014 and all its expansions now save for the newest because it seemed like the best solo Mythos experience. The Arkham LCG appeals to me immensely and I love card games. Didn't even know there were co-op ones but that's even cooler.

I'll be picking the LCG up as soon as possible and playing a lot but see myself going back to Eldritch sometimes, too. I already own it and MoM 2e but all three are different games. If I want a shorter but more thematic game with a hand of cards I'll play the LCG. When I want an epic, longer, strategic adventure and I've exhausted the current LCG scenarios (especially at the beginning) I'll play Eldritch. Just depends on what I want and I think both will be great games in my collection.

Each of the games serves up theme in a different manner and style. For context, I play games solo and currently own AH (all expansions), EH (all expansions), MoM (2nd edition) - will likely get it's expansions, and when AH LCG comes out I'll pick it up immediately based on what I know right now.

Of these games, AH is getting the least plays recently, mainly due to having played over 200 games and EH was fresher. I've been slowing down on EH lately and could see myself going back to EH. These two both serve the role of "group of people taking on world ending doom in Town/World".

MoM v2. is getting a lot of interest from me because it's the kid at the table and I never played MoM v1 (since it wasn't fully co-op with the keeper role). Even with streamlined set up though it takes more time to compete a game. AH LCG looks like it will fill the same niche as LOTR LCG: break it out and play a quick game with my prior deck. Then, after wards, think about how I can make the deck better (either to do better over all or because I just lost horribly). The built in campaign aspect for AH LCG is one thing that all of the others lack out of the box, although people have created various campaigns for AH (including FFG) and EH.

So, in short, there's room for all of these in a players collection if they have the budget and desire.

Each of the games serves up theme in a different manner and style. For context, I play games solo and currently own AH (all expansions), EH (all expansions), MoM (2nd edition) - will likely get it's expansions, and when AH LCG comes out I'll pick it up immediately based on what I know right now.

Of these games, AH is getting the least plays recently, mainly due to having played over 200 games and EH was fresher. I've been slowing down on EH lately and could see myself going back to EH. These two both serve the role of "group of people taking on world ending doom in Town/World".

MoM v2. is getting a lot of interest from me because it's the kid at the table and I never played MoM v1 (since it wasn't fully co-op with the keeper role). Even with streamlined set up though it takes more time to compete a game. AH LCG looks like it will fill the same niche as LOTR LCG: break it out and play a quick game with my prior deck. Then, after wards, think about how I can make the deck better (either to do better over all or because I just lost horribly). The built in campaign aspect for AH LCG is one thing that all of the others lack out of the box, although people have created various campaigns for AH (including FFG) and EH.

So, in short, there's room for all of these in a players collection if they have the budget and desire.

So, you don't play Elder Sign, Richard? Anyhoo, I fully argee with everything you said here, each game has its own peculiarities and scratches quite a different itch

Elder Sign is pretty light both in mechanics and theme. I'm not interested in the boardgame version but I do have the app version.

Elder Sign is pretty light both in mechanics and theme. I'm not interested in the boardgame version but I do have the app version.

Core set and the first expansion are pretty light, I agree. But Gates of Arkham and Omens of Ice? They are quite more challenging, and require players to cosniderably step up their game to avoid constant, crushing defeats

So, you don't play Elder Sign, Richard? Anyhoo, I fully argee with everything you said here, each game has its own peculiarities and scratches quite a different itch

I actually gave it a try up through Unseen forces, but found that other things make it to the table much more often. Nothing wrong with the basic game - just found that I spent time on other things. As per your other quote, it does look like the the later expansions look like they gave the game a lot more depth and so I may revisit it at some point.

On a side note: I really enjoyed the digital version they came out with as it often presented a lot more of a challenge.

I just like that it's fast - correcting the "gameplay per minute" ratio to a more reasonable value :)

I actually gave it a try up through Unseen forces, but found that other things make it to the table much more often. Nothing wrong with the basic game - just found that I spent time on other things. As per your other quote, it does look like the the later expansions look like they gave the game a lot more depth and so I may revisit it at some point.

On a side note: I really enjoyed the digital version they came out with as it often presented a lot more of a challenge.

Yeah, Gates (and Omens) are really another game. From what I've learned of your likenings over the years, you should love Gates. It brings the game on another level, where resource management and good strategy are required to have a chance at victory (core game / UF were definitely too easy)

Yeah, Gates (and Omens) are really another game. From what I've learned of your likenings over the years, you should love Gates. It brings the game on another level, where resource management and good strategy are required to have a chance at victory (core game / UF were definitely too easy)

Well I trust your opinion so I just may need to give Gates a try when I can manage to find the time - right now I'm trying to find time to play Mansions of Madness 2 and then come this winter there will be Arkham LCG ...