Adepta Sororitas General Discussion

By Servant of Dante, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

The sisters repentia have some historical precedent. There were "naked warriors" in various bits of history, like the celts occasionally fought the romans naked. Freaked the romans out, at first. Then they realized the gaesatae may look disturbing running at you naked with weapons in their hands and their dorks hanging out, but when the romans stopped running and started fighting them, they got their naked asses handed to them.

there were ancient greece era warriors, etruscans,who would go into battle with breastplates at times but with their twigs and berries handing out. Sensational but not that effective either.

So yeah you can argue human history has naked warriors freaking out the enemy. How freaked out an ork, tau or god forbid a tyranid is gonna be at the site of a nude woman is..... debatable.. Some orks might be kinda disgusted. "Oi! Ain't doze oomies gots no decency?! Yer don't go inta a fight all wiffout clothes like dat! Ain't proppa.."

A tyranid might be thankful it doesn't have to spit out the clothes when it's done chewing.

I suppose naked guys running at eldar might demoralize them, coz you know human coupling gear has got to be bigger than what those boney snobs have...

Necrons might stop a minute and think "Hey, didn't I use to have something like that?" if attacked by naked guys, and "Hey, aren't I supposed to be feeling something about now?" when attacked by naked women.

But in "reality" a sister repentia is a bullet riddled corpse before she gets ne ar any competent, armed enemy. Yeah, her boobs might be big but that eviscerator is a lot bigger and I know which one I'm going to be focused on.

if you wanted a practical sister repentia...how about one with a set of armor on the front half only, and on her back she's got a honking suicide bomb? Before going into battle she loads up on some holy joy juice that ramps up her metabolism and makes her ignore pain and injuries that don't actually take off parts. She runs into an enemy formation and no sooner than you can say "For the emprah!" sets it off. Instant redemption, go directly to the emperor, collect 75 handsome virgin studs, enjoy the afterlife.

Edited by Professor Tanhauser

Well, I don't mind the no armour on repentia, I just wish the models didn't fall so clearly into "fan service"

Anymore, I've gotten used to the "basically naked" thing, so I'm mostly fine.

I just have to remember that the Repentia's fluff is not sexual in any way, and then I think I can deal with (most) of their models.

But you have to admit the mistress of repentance has a bit of a bdsm thing going on.

And, you're mixing religious source material, but I'm sure you're aware of that. The SoB are based of course on The Catholic Church, with a good amount of grimdark added in, while you are referencing, well I'm not actually well versed enough in world religon to know EXACTLY what religon and specific traditions you are referencing, but I'm pretty sure it's middle eastern.

Edited by Servant of Dante

Actually the etruscans were ancient greek. The Gaestatae were celtic. Neither were really middle east.

The Repentia are semi-naked not because of some intended effect on the enemy, but simply as a sign of humility (mirroring some early real life Christian practices), a sign of their exile, and because they actively seek death as a way to redemption. Considering the rather creepy codex art, I'd say the only possible problem would be that the minis lack this sort of detail.

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/OxayotlTheGreat/media/Hunting-To-Conduct-The-Inquisition-The-Hunters-The-Sisters-The-Battle-1920x2560_zps316e26da.png.html

As to the general bdsm criticism, I think this is just something every fan has to come to terms with. Ultimately, it's simply media-induced fetishism ("nunsploitation") that attaches a sexual undertone to various rituals. Stuff like whippings and spankings and naked vigils have been and, in some places likely still are, an integral part to such a fanatically devotional regime, and I believe that scaling it back just because of this double meaning would have a significant effect on the amount of "crazy" that makes the Sororitas into what they are as presented in GW studio material.

If we really wanted to, we could attach sexual innuendo almost everywhere, anyways. Black Templar pain gloves? Assassin bodysuits? Genestealer reproduction?

Don't get me wrong; I'm sure that /some/ sexualisation is entirely intentional on the part of GW. "Boys will be boys" and all that. I just don't think it is a problem where it doesn't look out of place in context to the setting. Which is why I have a far bigger issue with some of FFG's artworks and their propensity for high heels on military personnel, for example.

If we really wanted to, we could attach sexual innuendo almost everywhere, anyways. Black Templar pain gloves? Assassin bodysuits?

Edited by Professor Tanhauser

I was referencing the 70 virgin studs thing when I said middle eastern.

And I am adjusting to reality as Lynata explains it. I don't know, I'm tired.

Don't the Sisters Repentia gain some faith-fueled defenses & protections due to their humility and faith? :P

I was referencing the 70 virgin studs thing when I said middle eastern.

And I am adjusting to reality as Lynata explains it. I don't know, I'm tired.

Oh, i was just making a joke about dead SoBs gettting 72 well endowed virgin studs in the afterlife. Sort of making a little jab at another bunch if unfortunately all too real religious fanatics who believe in killing all unbelievers...

WorldSmith: Absolutely -- another example of the "mind over matter" aspect of Acts of Faith, in this case the Repentias' "berserker" mode causing them to ignore pain and thus be harder to incapacitate. Kind of like this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogendra_Singh_Yadav

Edited by Lynata

Actually the etruscans were ancient greek. The Gaestatae were celtic. Neither were really middle east.

Etruscans wasn't ancient greeks. Only sources of celts "naked warriors" are doubtful roman texts.