DarthTom's Painting

By tomkat364, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello all,
Thought I would share some painted miniatures with you. I have been working on several projects at once, so I don't have many Descent specific minis done yet. I started with the Cave Spiders using some inspiration from the many examples that can be found on line. Here they are in a group shot:

cave-spider-group.jpg

More information (and more minis) can be found on my blog: https://darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com/

Please take a second to comment, whether you like 'em or hate 'em. I appreciate all feedback. More to come soon, I hope.

Edited by tomkat364

Good job, they look nice. I like the web effect on the master spider's base. :)

Cool, like your basing art.

You can give the master some highlights on her legs. For example:

garden_spider_with_yellow_and_black_3440

This one looks like she's trying on some sexy stockings.

silver-garden-spider_1.jpg

This one's going goth, trying out new striped stockings.

Edited by Mlai

You can give the master some highlights on her legs. For example:

This one looks like she's trying on some sexy stockings.

This one's going goth, trying out new striped stockings.

I had actually started off trying to make them more exotic looking, but the hair on the abdomen was so deeply sculpted that more complex patterns just didn't look right from more than one angle. I'm saving these types of looks for the bane spiders, which have smooth abdomens. See this terrific paintjob by another painter: http://orig08.deviantart.net/79e5/f/2016/127/e/0/descent___bane_spiders__1_by_styfen-da1kzzh.jpg

Edited by tomkat364

Nice minis! Keep on painting!

The flames are very well done! A lot of painters go for the regular highlight with flames, but, I tink the 'inverted' is better because it more looks like actual flames. Nice blend at the tail! However, I believe the back is also supposed to be water, but it is very hard to tell on this model:/

Very, very nicely done with Valyndra, especially the leathery effect on the wings.

Hi all!

Finished up the Labyrinth of Ruin expansion a little while ago, having finished Queen Ariad in plenty of time for the finale. This has to be one of the ugliest miniatures ever to be produced, but I think I did a fair job on her.

queen-ariad-front.jpg

queen-ariad-br.jpg

As always, more to be seen at my blog: https://darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com

Edited by tomkat364

Ugly? Why?

Nice work!

I would hit that Queen Ariad with a purple or green ink wash on the blue/white parts to deepen the contrast a bit and make it a bit more organic looking.

I was all excited to paint her for the Finale of my Labyrinth of Ruin campaign, only to have the players absolutely slaughter Ariad in the Web of Lies mission (or whatever that mission was where she performs the ritual).... making the model itself obsolete.

48 minutes ago, Silidus said:

I was all excited to paint her for the Finale of my Labyrinth of Ruin campaign, only to have the players absolutely slaughter Ariad in the Web of Lies mission (or whatever that mission was where she performs the ritual).... making the model itself obsolete.

Our heroes were so overpowered at this point that I house ruled that she had transformed anyway. Ended up being a great finale, and the heroes still won anyway. But having her figure out was reward enough for the Overlord.

Ha, ok so its not just my players then.

I blamed that one on the '2 hero rule' since it allowed the heroes to double move + fatigue + attack, giving them way more range that would otherwise be possible. So first round they were already stomping on Ariad.

In my case I won the Finale (the other one), so I guess it worked out for the best. Would have been nice to get that model on the table thought.

Finished the Shadow Dragons and posted them to my blog!

Here's the Master and Minion together. Plenty of other pictures at https://darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com

dragon-pair.jpg

Let me know what you think of them.

Edited by tomkat364

Well painted all of it, but I especially enjoy your bases.

Very nice :). Your consistent style is appreciatedthe bases as other mention are just great too. I certainly can't paint like that yet !

The valyndra comment is interesting. It looks to me you used better technique than the suggested alternative, you also seemd to have executed them better overal, yet is not to the liking of some - but I like it

Any reason you didng go for more contrast with queen ariad?

5 hours ago, GralQ said:

Very nice :). Your consistent style is appreciatedthe bases as other mention are just great too. I certainly can't paint like that yet !

The valyndra comment is interesting. It looks to me you used better technique than the suggested alternative, you also seemd to have executed them better overal, yet is not to the liking of some - but I like it

Any reason you didng go for more contrast with queen ariad?

Thanks for the comments.
I think the lack of contact with Ariad is more a photography issue than anything else. In real life the wrinkles pop a little more. I think the combination of the red and teal screwed with the camera's saturation a bit, and I could only get a semi-accurate read on one area for the shot.

17 hours ago, tomkat364 said:

Thanks for the comments.
I think the lack of contact with Ariad is more a photography issue than anything else. In real life the wrinkles pop a little more. I think the combination of the red and teal screwed with the camera's saturation a bit, and I could only get a semi-accurate read on one area for the shot.

Cool,

Also you asked about the shadow dragons: great you went for smoothness both in color transition and color variety that many others seem to avoid, I really like that specially the greenish one.

I'd use that as inspiration to paint mine but I'll wait for Sorastro's since he will post a tutorial which helps me learn. I'll still use your Valyndra though :D. I expect to paint a lot in this cold Polish winter

You mention you have other projects. Do you have a blog or channel or similar?

Edited by GralQ
15 minutes ago, GralQ said:

Cool,

Also you asked about the shadow dragons: great you went for smoothness both in color transition and color variety that many others seem to avoid, I really like that specially the greenish one.

I'd use that as inspiration to paint mine but I'll wait for Sorastro's since he will post a tutorial which helps me learn. I'll still use your Valyndra though :D. I expect to paint a lot in this cold Polish winter

You mention you have other projects. Do you have a blog or channel or similar?

I have a blog at https://darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com

Hello all,

Today I bring you my take on Bol'Goreth, the character exuding troll Lieutenant from the Trollfens expansion. I think I did rather well with the non-metallic metal on the shields, and I really like the skin-tone I created for him. As always, more pictures and a more detailed explanation of the project can be found at my blog, https://darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com

In the meantime, enjoy the pics, and please leave feedback!

bolgoreth-front.jpg

bolgoreth-fl.jpg

bolgoreth-br.jpg

Simply amazing.

Hi everyone,

Back with yet another Lieutenant miniature. This time it's Verminous, from Shadow of Nerekhall. Quite a fun miniature to paint, with surprisingly good detail and molding. Very pleased with this guy. As always, more details can be found on my blog:

https://wordpress.com/post/darthtomsgaming.wordpress.com/738

verminous-front1.jpg

verminous-rear1.jpg

Please leave comments and critiques!