What does Rare actually mean?

By MorbidDon, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

Hey Gamers,

So this is a topic I've touched upon before but never really delved deep into with the community.

Item Rarity

So that the Bolter (thank you I will lol), accordingly its supposed to be a rare to very rare item (without looking it up of course for sake of conversation herein). Now if that's the case why are there so many "Bolters" in the possession of so many "statted" foes in the publishing?

Back in my D&D days (which I have formally retired from thank you lol) a rare item was just that - say I ran x20 game sessions - in all that time I would prolly have a Bolter set again you or or as a prize 4 out of the 20 sessions - that's it - get while the getting's good - otherwise go requisition one from the Inquisition...

Same goes for power swords, chain weaponry, etc

In keeping with this thought - I generally replace what the publisher has "given" that stat-generated NPC with two lesser items from the greater single one.

Example - say a Bolter is assigned - I'd take that Bolter and turn it into a Autogun and a primitive weapon.

If its a "boss" or named individual - say an NPC higher up or simply one the GM has designed - we'll then item rarity has no place herein for such tailored individuals and situations...

Another option is to give them the Bolter - that the NPC was written in with - but when the Player "win" the legendary revered weapon its damaged - in fact its at the lowest quality grade of Poor (look it up but I think its -10% to BS put some other sh*tty caveats lol)

Want to repair something in an empire that's on the decline - ohh the men of Mars cant or might not even help and when they do - guess what - "side mission time Players!~

Anyways just some thoughts on item rarity - hopefully this will get some of you thinking - most importantly the game designers and fluff writers...

Stay GAMING

Morbid

Personally, if I was running a DH campaign, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the raritys - I would just go by what felt right. If the person looked like someone who shouldn't have a power sword (far more rare than a bolter, as far as I'm concerned) then they won't have one. Of course, my view is strongly influenced by the availability of equipment in the TT Wargame. Sure, most people in the IG codex that can get a Bolter can probably also get a power sword (I don't actually know - maybe Commissars and the like can't get power weapons), but if one looks at the Space Marines (where everyone has a bolter), relatively few have power weapons.

Keep in mind my minimal RPG experience.

I agree. Go with what feels right to you.

Make sure the players know that whipping out a Bolt weapon is making a statement bigger than "D10+5X, Rending" though. Not just anyone gets a bolt weapon - you're obviously kind of a big deal if you're carrying one. It will have effects on subtlety.

Thanks Sgt. thats how I felt it was to be...

Granted what's "rare" for an Astartes isn't the same as whats rare for an Acolyte - though both could be issued their gear on a mission by mission basis without bringing on other caveats.

Same would go for any Rogue Trader and his fellow Scions (aka the other players) whom have the raw access by money, trade, or might to the choicest kit!

To me the gear availability food chain in accordance to rarity would be as follows

Rogue Trader
Astartes (Black Crusade / Deathwatch)

Acolytes (Dark Heresy)

Imperial Guard (Only War)

I only place Rogue Traders at the top because they can technically acquire voidships and own worlds - not talking toe to toe power here, just kit

If talking about the most powerful weapons and armor then the Astartes win - though I don't see them swapping kit (outside whats in their armory) like an RT can...

Stay Gaming

Morbid

Agree Morbid - except for one point. I'd reverse Dark Heresy and Only War gear availability.

My rationale is that the Imperial Guard have the full weight of the Munitorum behind them - you might only get a lasgun and flak armour; but by the Emperor, it will be a lasgun and flak armour made on a forgeworld, damnit.

An acolyte cell is in cover, and will cobble together whatever they can get their hands on. Sure - they might have bolt pistols and carapace armour if they need to make a show of force; but the magazines are empty and the chestplates are held together with duct tape and spit. When push comes to shove, they pull out stubbers and hope for the best.

That's purely a personal flavour though. My DH campaign is desperately gritty.