fan-creation fraction: Elves - Tribal Wars

By phalgast, in BattleLore

Hi there

A first intent of an elven army. Situatet near of wood-elves of WHF. Elves and supporting natural and magic creatures that Need to use theyr synergies for victory. I tried to create some new mechanics (like a Caster Legend or a mixed ranged an melee unit) and also to use some existing abilities.

I hope you understand what i meant regarding my very Basic english-skills :blink: Thougts? Overpowered, underpowered or just missed the Topic?

There lacks a lot to really test it, overall lore cards... but may be enough for a general first impression

Battlelore 2: Elves – Tribal Wars

Core Set

A1: Infanterie Melee Tribal (4 points)

Tribal Braves

M: 2 A: 3 LP: 3

• Wooden Native:

This unit hasn’t to end it’s movement on Forrest or Ford-hexes. Forrests don’t limit the number of attack dices of this unit

• Fury of the brave:

crown: cause 1 damage if a Creature Unit is adjacent to the target unit

A2: Infanterie Range Tribal (4 points)

Rangers of the Southern Woods

M:2 A:2 (4) LP: 3

• Hunting Instinct:

add one dice to the attack for every lifepoint lost of the target unit

A3: Elite Melee Creature (6 points)

Dryades

M: 2 A: 3 LP:3

• Menace:

This unit gains +1 Attack for every adjacent enemy Caster-, Elite- or Legend-unit

• Magic Armor

crown: Put an Armor token on this unit. If this unit takes damage, remove the token and ignore 1 damage

A4: Cavalry Melee Creature (6 points)

Giant Spiders

M: 4 A: 2 LP: 3

• Terrify:

crown: cause 2 retreats

• Hunting Instinct:
add one dice to the attack for every lifepoint lost of the target unit

• This unit ignores the reduction of dices caused of flying units. Enemy flying units can not move through this unit
A5: Legend, Caster, Tribal (deer-mounted caster) (8 points)

Arbaron, Sovereign Sorcerer

M: 3 A: 5 (3) LP: 3

Visionary:

This unit ignores any restrictions of sight. It may attack all units within its range

Magic Armor:

crown: Put an Armor token on this unit. If this unit takes damage, remove the token and ignore 1 damage

Second Set

B1: = A1 ( Tribal Braves )

B2: Infanterie Melee Creature (4 points)

Wood Gnomes

M: 2 A: 2: LP: 4

• Wooden Native:

This unit hasn’t to end it’s movement on Forrest or Ford-hexes. Forrests don’t limit the number of attack dices of this unit

(may be usefull with special lorecards? Was the Intention...)

• Healing:

crown: Recover 1 LP of a wounded Tribal Unit within 2 hexes of this unit

B3: Caster, Tribal (5 points)

Tribal Shaman

M: 2 A: 3 (3) LP:3

• Conjurer:

crown: place a direwolf (M: 3, A:2, LP: 1) on a empty hex adjacent to this unit. This unit gets automatically activatet additionally everytime you play a command card. It counts as Creature Unit. This ability has no effect if there is a direwolf under your control yet

• Elder Wisdom

lore: gain 1 lore. You may play up to two lore your lore cards per step until the beginning of your next turn. Lore cards cost 1 lore less for every acitvated Elder Wisdom (never less then 1 lore).

B4: Elite Melee Tribal (6 points)

Guard of the Council

M: 1 A: 4 LP: 3

• Add 1 movement if this unit is adjacent to an friendly unit at the beginning its movement
  • Immovable 1: Igore 1 retreat each combat
B5: Cavalry Melee Range Tribal (6 points)

Horseback Rangers

M:3 A: 2 (4) range or 3 melee LP: 3

• Skilled Horsemen:

This unit may choose every time it gets activated between a ranged attack with Hunting Instinct or a melee attack with Fury of the brave

B6: Legend, Melee (8 points)

Tree Giant

M: 2 A: 4 LP: 5

• Wooden Native:

This unit hasn’t to end it’s movement on Forrest or Ford-hexes. Forrests don’t limit the number of attack dices of this unit.

• Armor: 1

This unit may ignore one (single sword) die results produced each combat

• Massive:

This unit cannot move into or occupy building hexes

Edited by phalgast

I really like the rangers. Just to give you some more ideas, I don't see the Leonx Rider from Rune Age, or the Pegasus Rider from Runewars, and the Forest Guardian name could replace the Tree Giant. I don't understand the Guard of the Council. Does it really have 1 life point?

I have my own custom elves, but the only ones I really like are

Storm Sorceress

2/3/3

5 cost

Caster Ranged Infantry

Heroic-Word of Vaal: Choose an enemy unit within three hexes of this unit. Move the chosen unit one space in any direction. A friendly unit adjacent to where the enemy unit orginated may move into that space.

Lore-Amplify: Gain 2 lore if you are within 1 hex of a forest.\

And my pegasus rider.

Edited by Toenail

Guard: misswritten... its corrected. Are some ironbound likes...

Hello.

Good idea think elves near the forces of nature but i dont like the spiders (i see them more near to the forces of darkness) and the gnomes.

I love Dryades and the tree gian (they are the soul of the forest)

Like toenail i like so much leonx and pegasus riders because they are the most beautiful units of runewars.

The elves got a huge potential. I believe that FFG will produce them for sure!

There is some great stuff here!

Hello.

Good idea think elves near the forces of nature but i dont like the spiders (i see them more near to the forces of darkness) and the gnomes.

I love Dryades and the tree gian (they are the soul of the forest)

Like toenail i like so much leonx and pegasus riders because they are the most beautiful units of runewars.

The elves got a huge potential. I believe that FFG will produce them for sure!

Fluff creatures : Pegasus-Rider would be to near by Roc warrior if Legend, imo. Rename the tree giant to forrest guardian seems a good idea

spiders

Overall I didn't want to make the elves only "good" or "bright" (i din't like the style of WHF High Elves so much), so the Spiders and dryades should symbolise a dark side of the elves. The Spiders are one of my favorite creations for several reasons: They have a weak attack, but may be a good unit to attack enemy VP or buildings. Attacking a blessed unit they get a huge threat. When I thougt about hunting instinct, I didn't want to use it for melee Units. But in combination with the 2 Attack Spiders I really like it. So it seems a very tactical unit that is strong if it get's its spot.

Also the H orseback Rangers are one of my favorite creations. very flexible without beeing op imo.

Hunting instinct was the try to create a ranged ablitiy makes them playable without beeing OP. I think it's a bit less strong then doubleshot of Daqan, but may be very effective either to the end of the game.

Tree giant is huge fighting in forrests. Outside he is still hard to kill, but wihtout any damage buffs. So he's seems to be fair.

Caster Legend i'm not sure if it's to hard like it can "hit and run". Magic armor for sure is powerfull but like it's a token (1 max) it might be fair enough. Overall with the 3 LP of this Legend. It's 5 attack dices may be ok like he's a Caster with damage 6+

Gnomes: I'm not really not sure about them neither. I wantet a "Creature" core unit that is more support then fighters... ideas?

Guard of the council : good attack with limitated movement. with immovable a bank in buildings... tendencally defensiv unit that's able to attack also almost any enemy. Similar to Ironbound and Golems.

Tribal Braves: May be the core unit with the highest damage-potencial... if they fight aside a creature. If not, no buff at all. So a very tactical unit. Might be a interesting unit. i fear that fury of the brave may be a bit OP

@ all: I think they already used some ideas that would have matched better to elves. As Roc Warrior or the Riverwatch Riders. So it's quite a challenge to create fluffy stuff that's has some feeling to be really new.

@ Toenail

Sorceress sounds nice. Vaal is a crown-ability I imagine? to remove a unit from a VP or a building and occupy it by an proper one is a really big deal. Ok undead have a similar ability but combined with an elite unit with a poor attack... I do mind it could be OP

What stats and abilities gave you to your Pegasus Rider?

Edited by phalgast

My idea for a Word of Vaal ability for the Storm Sorceress that I came up with a year ago was: "When this unit causes retreats, enemy units retreat directly toward it, rather than away from it." This lets you bring enemies closer to you and your armies, separating them from their own forces and making them vulnerable to your attacks. You can even cause damage by causing the unit to retreat into the Sorceress or by having her attack (ranged, caster) from a hill hex where she can shoot over her allies and pull enemies toward them.

DEEPWOOD ARCHER

Infantry, Archer, Ranged

Movement: 2

Combat Value: 2 (range 1-4)

Health: 3

Crackshot: If this unit does not move during the move step, it may commit results to deal damage.

Mobility 1: After a combat phase ends during which this unit was ordered, it may move 1 hex.

STORM SORCERESS

Caster, Infantry, Ranged

Combat Value: 3 (range 1-3)

Word of Vaal: When this unit causes retreats, enemy units move directly toward it rather than away from it.

Fearful Display: [Lore] Cause 1 retreat.

AYMHELIN SCOUT

Infantry, Melee

Combat Value: 2

Arboreal Strike: This unit gains +1 die on combat rolls into and out of forest hexes.

Edited by Budgernaut

My Pegausus was:

3/3/5

Flying

Heroic-Inspire: Place a tactics token on a friendly unit within two hexes of this unit (may not choose this unit). Inspire tokens may be spent to roll one additional attack die, and to convert all [lore] rolls into damage.

That's a pretty strong effect. I'd hate to see that token on a unit with combat value of 4.

At first I read it wrong and thought it granted rerolls. That would be a great theme for an inspire-based effect. Rather than giving them more potential power, you give them more accuracy, essentially. I think the only rerolls so far are in the Berserkers, right?

That's a pretty strong effect. I'd hate to see that token on a unit with combat value of 4.

At first I read it wrong and thought it granted rerolls. That would be a great theme for an inspire-based effect. Rather than giving them more potential power, you give them more accuracy, essentially. I think the only rerolls so far are in the Berserkers, right?

I like your idea better. Spend the token to reroll two dice.

Phalgast, I finally got a chance to read through all of your units in more detail. (The font was too small to read on here, so I copied it to a Word document and enlarged it tonight.) There are some things I love about your ideas! Things that standout:

• A ranged cavalry unit
  • Spiders (I love spiders! I agree with Toenail that it doesn't feel very much like an elf unit, though.)
  • Hunting Instinct is a brilliant ability! It's a great way to play off of the Uthuk and Waiqar infantry units' abilities.

Your post finally inspired me to finish my faction tonight. We converged on some ideas. It's interesting to see what's the same and what's different.

EDIT: On second thought, let me start my own thread so I don't hijack yours.

Edited by Budgernaut

EDIT: On second thought, let me start my own thread so I don't hijack yours.

Feel free to use this thread for all kind of fan creation's for Elves...

Mine are going up tomorrow. Got some last minute changes to make, and will get to it tonight. Maybe then we can all vote on which designs we like best, and create a semi-official box with the best of all of us!

Anyone else up for making some elves of their own?

Edited by Toenail