Bell of Lost Souls: Rune Wars Interview

By Nalim, in Runewars Miniatures Game

Just saw this one on Youtube and thought you might be interested, too:

There's not too much new things, but Evan, the FFG representative, points out that all of the units from the core set will also be sold separetely. I think that's a good thing to hear, meaning we'll be able to have individual, custom 200 points armies from day one, not just the choice of buying as many full core sets as we need ;) .

That's excellent news on the separate unit sales, and what I expected. This way an Undead general can lean heavy on Archers during list building, while her opponent may prefer devastating cavalry charges as a hopeful counter. Good stuff.

So it's gonna be like the XWing model?

Core set then get XWing and Tie Fighter expansions?

For this genre/scale, I'd just prefer giant faction army boxes.

Adding one more video to the queue...

Edited by dboeren

Really? I think most tabletop wargamers would beg to differ - I prefer to buy exactly what I want / need instead of lots of stuff I probably will never use bundled together. If I just want another four cavalrists, I don't want to have to buy 16 spearmen and a rune golem on top.

Really? I think most tabletop wargamers would beg to differ - I prefer to buy exactly what I want / need instead of lots of stuff I probably will never use bundled together. If I just want another four cavalrists, I don't want to have to buy 16 spearmen and a rune golem on top.

Depends on how useful these boxes are and how big the discount is, GWs new Start Collecting boxes have useful miniatures and a good discount and so they sell good, yes GW did boxes with which you saved next to no money and which included bad units, but generally army boxes are nothing new and some of them are crazy like the whole Space Marine chapter box GW once did for only 11690 bucks.

No thank you. I prefer to buy what I need and not be stuck with stuff I won't use because it was bundled with a bunch of other stuff. Unit boxes separately please.

Yes, I'd rather have the bigger box of my faction in it (including the necessary upgrade cards)... rather than buying one of each to stay competitive.

I'm not saying one way is better or not. I'd prefer to just have it all at once instead of scouring eBay for the single cards I need/want. Or minis that I will never use.

Did this make sense? Or I'd rather have a big box of my faction vs. the current XWing model.

Edited by IceQube

No thank you. I prefer to buy what I need and not be stuck with stuff I won't use because it was bundled with a bunch of other stuff. Unit boxes separately please.

Who said it can be only one of those? Some miniature games have both single unit boxes and army boxes (40K, AoS, Warmachines, Hordes, Infinity)

The default for minis games is buy what you need. However, they also offer one box starter armies. These generally save you some money but you have less control over what figures you get. So, they are attractive to new players that don't really know what they want yet. Experienced players tend to avoid them because any savings are lost when you realize you may seldom use some of those models because even if they're not "bad", they may not fit your playstyle.

Good video, they get into mostly information more than just watching someone play.

Some key points I caught:

1. Release is "very early 2017", he emphasized "very"

2. He suggested that the best way to get into it would be to split two cores with a friend and divvy up the models by faction, perhaps indicating that they do not expect most people to collect all factions

3. He confirmed that they are planning more factions

4. He says the Necromancer has magic, not sure if this means like spell cards or just a built-in ability. Spell customization would be great though.

5. Some figures come in both mounted and unmounted form

6. Says they are looking to push the setting and "make it real"

7. Four different sculpts for the rank & file troops so there is variety and look better

8. Some posability when you assemble figures, typically push peg in joint and maybe a drop of glue. No sprues.

So will there be no army compilation, or force organisation!? Could you really go for a hole undead archer army vs a cavalry human army, without any restrictions?

I can't believe or imagine this for myself really and i hope that there will be limitations when you build your army :) .

I enjoy how chunky the figures are; they will be less spindly, perhaps reducing breakage. And no sprues ... I can seriously appreciate that.

So has anyone asked them yet about modifying figures and stuff like that? What are the rules for a model to be tournament legal if you want to customize it? What are the base sizes? Say I'm playing the undead guys, is it possible for me to just like rebase some other company's models to fit in the trays and use those? You would still be buying the units to get the trays and dials and cards and stuff, but if you happen to have some undead models that are already painted, it would save a lot of work.

For instance, PP I think still uses the rule that at least 50% of the model must be from the original official model, but this does allow you to swap in a different weapon or repose them or sculpt your own customizations like adding a cloak or whatever.

So has anyone asked them yet about modifying figures and stuff like that? What are the rules for a model to be tournament legal if you want to customize it? What are the base sizes? Say I'm playing the undead guys, is it possible for me to just like rebase some other company's models to fit in the trays and use those? You would still be buying the units to get the trays and dials and cards and stuff, but if you happen to have some undead models that are already painted, it would save a lot of work.

For instance, PP I think still uses the rule that at least 50% of the model must be from the original official model, but this does allow you to swap in a different weapon or repose them or sculpt your own customizations like adding a cloak or whatever.

No one asked in the videos I saw, but I suppose it's too early for that to be set in stone anyway. My guess:

• You need to have the cards belonging to your units (FFG standard I suppose).
  • Customization (they talked a little bit about this in one video, not sure which one) is allowed.
  • Models from other manufacturers are not.

This would be organized play standard for most things except KoW tournaments - but their main selling point is that you can use your expensive GW miniatures in a game system that's still supported.