Looking for suggestions on how I should approach this game - I'm not interested in deck-building and competitive play

By Deviser, in General Discussion

Hello everyone,

I really like card games + I'm a big fan of 'Song of Ice and Fire' world, so it's only natural that I checked this game out. I bought one core set and played some matches with suggested decks and in general I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I wanted more. The problem is, I have no wish to invest my time into deck building neither I want to spend money on all the expansions, it would be p erfect to have a few well constructed and balanced decks, which I could just take from the box and play right away. So, my question is, are there any people around here who are in the same situation as I am? Maybe you have any suggestions/ resourses which would help me figure out how to build these decks (would be awesome if I needn't buy all excisting cards)?And what decks are generally better - single or double house? Or it would be better to just part with this game and look for something non-LCG/CCG?

Thank you for your help!

Try Thronesdb.com if you're not interested in deckbuilding; there are decklists there so you don't have to do it yourself.

True, but those decklists very rarely limit themselves to a single Core Set. If the preference is to not buy any more cards (packs, expansions or additional copies of the Core Sets), you're probably not going to get much help from sites like Thronesdb.com or Cardgamedb.com because most of those decks assume access to 3 copies of every card in print.

If you are not interested in buying any more cards, you will probably want to go with double house decks rather than single house, simply because the actual number of cards for single house decks is not there. That's OK, though, because by just combining 2 of the Houses, you have 28 potential combinations without actually having to do any real deckbuilding, especially if, like the suggested decks in the Core Set rules, you ignore the "Loyalty" mechanic. (The choice of neutrals can mirror the sample decks. You will probably also develop a preference for a set of neutral cards pretty quickly on your own.) You'll need to choose 7 plots that go with your chosen Houses (or, for more fun, you can draft plots; shuffle all the plot cards, deal 7 to each player, have them look, choose 1, and pass their pile to the next player; continue until each player has chosen 7 plots). Ultimately, though, that's not much more "deck building" than, say, Smash Up.

I'd say you should try the "shuffle building" method for awhile and see if you still enjoy the game. You really can get a lot of play and variety out of just the Core Set in that way. As you get experience with which Houses work best together, and their strategies, you can decide if you want to invest in expansion sets for individual Houses (only Stark is currently available, but there are a few cards for every House in the box, including new plot cards), which will also have deck lists you can build with the expansion and the Core Set.