Tranquilizing and non-lethal take-downs?

By wowspartan11, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Hey Guys! I've been playing RT for a bit, mostly as a GM, but now as a player who is a navigator. He is fairly religious, and a bit of a softie. While making a backup character that was a Dark Eldar Wych, i was looking at the Mind-phase Gauntlet(pg 113 of The Soul Reaver), which gave fatigue and stunned an opponent, making a fairly good weapon for taking someone down and out without harming them too much. Looking for and imperium equivalent, i'm a bit stumped.

I was looking for most likely some sort of bolt action gun that fired tranq rounds, or some way of knocking a target out. The only reference to such a thing i could find was in Into the Storm, Pg 186, a Tranq-gun mounted on a vehicle, with no rules information on it, which leads me to believe its purely for Animal Trade Endeavors.

So i ask, has anyone found any rules, (including from DH or Only war) for tranq guns or ammo(preferably man portable!), and the rules for what they do in actual use? If not, does anyone know of a good alternative for what i'm trying to do, be it house-rule, or a good reasonable weapon to knock people out?

I've talked it over a bit with my GM, but we both are a little confused on how to make this work, so any help from you more experienced and knowledgeable players and GMs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for any help you can give in advance!

Edited by wowspartan11

Take a look at Manhunter alternative rank, Hostile Acquisitons p.41 and his talent "Take Them Alive":

"When the Explorer makes a Called Shot attack against an enemy, he may choose to reduce the damage he inflicts after reduction by the target’s Armour or
Toughness Bonus by a number equal to his Perception Bonus, and inflict a level of Fatigue for each point of damage reduced in this way."

Take a look at Manhunter alternative rank, Hostile Acquisitons p.41 and his talent "Take Them Alive":

"When the Explorer makes a Called Shot attack against an enemy, he may choose to reduce the damage he inflicts after reduction by the target’s Armour or

Toughness Bonus by a number equal to his Perception Bonus, and inflict a level of Fatigue for each point of damage reduced in this way."

Thank you for the suggestion and quick reply! The Man-hunter definitely seems to be a master of non-lethal take-down certainly. The only problem is that considering as a navigator, i'd have to give up one of my pretty important ranks, dip 500 exp in one of the pre-req talents, then another 750 for the actual talent itself.

Again, its certainly great for taking down enemies, but it seems more oriented towards a combat focused character. Sorry if i'm being difficult, i was just hoping since the imperium has such a propensity for weapons, i'd be able to pick up some weapon or equipment to do the job. I'm a little less inclined to dip an entire rank into it and steer my character towards becoming a bounty hunter just so i can not kill people in combat.

That being said, thanks for bringing up the man-hunter, its basically the best looking bounty hunter i've seen so far, which is what one of my friends getting into RT was interested in playing!

DH GameMaster's Kit have rules for poisons&toxins. The only way to use them in combat that I can remember now is Toxic Dispenser for melee weapon, but it might be houseruled. Needle rifle&pistol must be able to use any toxin. Hypo Pistol (DH Inquisitors's Handbook p.110) and Choke Gas grenade (IH, p.122) and a lot of Shocking weapons may be useful too.

have you looked into getting a webber?

A personal favorite of mine is to use de-tox in place of a damaging poison, a bit messy, but does the job.

A personal favorite of mine is to use de-tox in place of a damaging poison, a bit messy, but does the job.

I didn't think of using Drugs as poisons! While it may only be something that works against humans, those are really the only things he's really worried about saving. My GM is pretty open, but we just didn't know how to run it mechanically, so just looking through some of the drug effects as offensive opens up a new avenue. Thanks friend, you may have helped me to not have to be as Grimdark as the universe expects me to be! Also, a webber is something i'm planning on when i can make my aquisition roll! Thanks again!

DH GameMaster's Kit have rules for poisons&toxins. The only way to use them in combat that I can remember now is Toxic Dispenser for melee weapon, but it might be house-ruled. Needle rifle&pistol must be able to use any toxin. Hypo Pistol (DH Inquisitors's Handbook p.110) and Choke Gas grenade (IH, p.122) and a lot of Shocking weapons may be useful too.

Thank you! With htSmithium's advice about drugs, i may be able to use tox dispenser to administrate something similar enough to do what we are trying. Thanks again, to the both of you! The response to my question was very quick and kind, so thanks for helping me out with this!

DH GameMaster's Kit have rules for poisons&toxins. The only way to use them in combat that I can remember now is Toxic Dispenser for melee weapon, but it might be houseruled. Needle rifle&pistol must be able to use any toxin. Hypo Pistol (DH Inquisitors's Handbook p.110) and Choke Gas grenade (IH, p.122) and a lot of Shocking weapons may be useful too.

Actually, looking at drugs, i found Ploin Juice,(pg 134 of into the storm) which is a drug that causes 1 level of fatigue on a failed -10 carouse test. Not the greatest, but i may be able to find a way to concentrate it more. Thank you guys again for all your help! Happy Trading!

Aww, one's introduction to the concepts of "stun settings are for people who can't commit" and " guaranteed non-lethal except to the poor fool who is stuck carrying one " is important. ;)

+++opening 40k armory database+++

huh, there's a lot.

For beast catching there's Venator Pattern Air Yacht (Into the Storm) - skimmer with Harpoon Gun, Net Launcher, Tranq Gun, and special lifeform-tracking auspex.

From personal weapons, obviously, webber - and variations thereof. Also -

Web Grenade     	Hostile Acquisitions	Scarce  	thrown/GL       	much like webber	
Web Missile     	Hostile Acquisitions	Rare    	for launcher    	much like webber	
Snare Shells    	Into the Storm  	Rare    	for shotgun     	much like webber, but one target	
Capacitor Rounds	Faith and Coin  	Rare    	for shotgun/bolter	reduced damage, zappy	
Bolas           	(core)          	Average 	Primitive Thrown	inflicts no damage at all, pretty much silent	
Volonx Bone Bolas	Inquisitor's Handbook	Rare    	like bolas      	spiky and poisoned	
0.5 I Hypo Pistol	Inquisitor's Handbook	Scarce  	Exotic Pistol   	shoots [Scarce] injector darts, capped to 1 actual damage	used by Mechanicus vat-farm boys if they mess up and meat goes wild
Anbaric Shock Blaster	Inquisitor's Handbook	Rare    	Exotic Pistol   	zap gun using laspistol cells	
"strixis tincture"	Inquisitor's Handbook	?       	knockout        	usually loaded into 0.5 I Hypo Pistol darts	
Sleep Dust, Zillman's	Inquisitor's Handbook	Rare    	sleep		
Night Dust      	Inquisitor's Handbook	Very Rare	sleep/hallucinations	Insanity points                                         	produced by that bloodsucker thing from Dusk
Snare Gun       	Radical's Handbook	Scarce  	SP Basic		
Sting-Blunt     	Daemon Hunter   	Common  	SP Pistol       	fires special [Common] weak shock rounds                	used by bounty hunters
Techxorcism Rifle	Lost Dataslate (free)	Very Rare	Exotic Basic    	Haywire, -20 to tests vs. Shocking, [Very Rare] ammo    	the cogboys don't like giving this stuff to others, but not banned outright
Techxorcism Cannon	Lost Dataslate (free)	Very Rare	Exotic Heavy    	same, but Haywire(4) Blast(4)                           	if you want something to one-shot groups of murder-servitors, etc