RTL for new players

By Takeda, in Road to Legend

My group is going to give RTL a try next week and us all being new players I was wondering if there is anything we should be mindful of?

New Descent players, or Descent players who are new to RTL?

New Descent players, or Descent players who are new to RTL?

Both!

Try to play the initial quest from the Descent box campaign to understand the core rules.

Read the RTL rules, there's some differences and new rules to assimilate and play first the tutorial quest in rise all goblins campaign.

I love this one to teach Descent rules:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/93172/heroes-quickstart-guide-descent-20-comic-style

Edited by kraisto

A few things that caught us out in your situation:

- When going through the monsters actions, skip any that aren't relevant and move on to the next one.

- Stun doesn't make a monster lose a turn, it just takes away one of its actions.

- Gold is assigned by the app when you search and you can spend it at the city to get upgrades, rather than finding them.

- When going through the monsters actions, skip any that aren't relevant and move on to the next one.

- And don't forget to 'loop' back around and go through the list again if there is still an activation left when you get to the bottom

- And don't forget to 'loop' back around and go through the list again if there is still an activation left when you get to the bottom

I did not know that. :-) I don't think it has ever arisen in play for us, though.

I did not know that. :-) I don't think it has ever arisen in play for us, though.
Edited by kraisto

- Gold is assigned by the app when you search and you can spend it at the city to get upgrades, rather than finding them.

Oh? My group and I weren't sure if we were seeing any difference in our gold for searching more :/ Also, we started to ignore most searches if they weren't incredibly close because we've been hit by that terrible "take X damage spread between your party" major peril far too many times and it has always been the death of us. Is there any way to stave off the perils? We were thinking that it would just be something that meant we needed to advance already, but even when we started to speed through the peril just kept happening each turn, even when we got to the final room/boss the quest.

Gold for search tokens have a cumulative impact, but search cards can be a life saver, but it's not mandatory. You maybe lost some cool items in certain quests.

Playing in hard you need move quickly and kill things efficiently.

Edited by kraisto

Is there any way to stave off the perils? We were thinking that it would just be something that meant we needed to advance already, but even when we started to speed through the peril just kept happening each turn, even when we got to the final room/boss the quest.

You've got it. The perils are there to keep you moving. The minor perils are there as a warning that you need to be moving along soon and the major perils are there to say that you should have listened. Otherwise the game would go something like: Open door -> kill monsters -> rest and heal for a few turns -> repeat.