Question Trial by Combat Card

By NSYakfisher, in Rules Questions

Situation:

Wife is playing Lannister Fealty, I'm Martell fealty

My plot is calm over Westeros where I reduced her military claim value by one and since it was one it gets reduced to zero.

She wins an intrigue challenge with Cersei where with her ability would claim two of my cards from my hand but instead plays Trial by Combat which has interupt apply military clam instead... Does she kills two characters?... One Character or none?

Thanks

You need to closely read the cards in question. (BTW I'm not trying to shout it's just that mobile makes it difficult to format key words.)

Calm over Westeros: When Revealed: Name a challenge type. Until you reveal a new plot card, reduce the claim value on the attacking player's revealed plot card by 1 during challenges of that type in which you are the defending player.

The important thing to note here is that it says "during challenges OF THAT TYPE." TbC doesn't change the TYPE of the challenge, it applies a CLAIM REPLACEMENT effect.

Now let's look at Cersei. She specifically affects your plot card, causing it to essentially go up by one.

Read over Trial by Combat. It just says during an Int challenge, apply military claim.

Now, based on these facts, are there any possibilities to can eliminate? What do you think the ruling should be?

Edited by Grimwalker

you apply the normal claim on intrigue but it is dealt as military. so with cersei you will still have to kill 2 characters

I was trying to be Socratic here, to illuminate the *why*, just just hand the answer.

The Socratic method, without providing the answer, comes across kind of condescending and mean-spirited in message board posts. Take it from one with experience....

Surely you would only kill 1 character?

Your claim is 1 when using Cersei in an intrigue challenge against an opponent using Calm

Surely you would only kill 1 character?

Your claim is 1 when using Cersei in an intrigue challenge against an opponent using Calm

Your claim is 2 in an Intrigue challenge because Calm Over Westeros was used to reduce claim during Military challenges.

jokerkd: The thing to recognize about Trial By Combat is that it doesn't change the Intrigue challenge into a Military challenge. You just end up killing characters for intrigue claim instead of discarding cards.

Think of it this way: if your first challenge is an Intrigue challenge and you use Trial By Combat to change it to military claim, you still have a Military and a Power challenge left to initiate that phase, not a (second) Intrigue and a Power challenge, right? That's a pretty good indication that it is still an Intrigue challenge that is resolving when you trigger an event, not a Military. And because it is an Intrigue challenge, things that only apply to Military challenges have no effect, even though you are killing things with claim.

Ninja' by a cached version of the page that didn't show Ktom's last reply.

But this much should be evident from reading the text on Calm Over Westeros, which references a challenge type, versus Trial by Combat, which only affects claim.

Edited by Grimwalker

Sorry, i had the idea in my head that the Calm player had chosen intrigue