Minis and their bases

By Llez, in Mansions of Madness

Does anyone else have the issue of the minis CONSTANTLY falling out of their bases? its incredibly tone shattering to have to search for the model and the base since they keep falling off. I'm going to go buy some glue tomorrow and try and fix this, since its unreasonably space destroying to have ALL the monsters just sitting on the table and doesn't make storage easy either having to spend 5-10 minutes playing "where's the monster?" after opening the box. Arg. Frustrated grunt.

I have glued mine.

Glue them all, like there is no tomorrow (said the gal who had a parachuting cultist surviving a 7 m fall from my balcony - thankfully, he landed on soft grass)

I have three cultist that are impossible to get fit in their bases so even gluing is a challenge. I also had four small bases missing but had extra two medium bases with three holes on them and couldn't figure out which minis could fit them. Can anyone confirm I got wrong ones and I'm missing some or did I just mix them up by myself? :D

The medium tiles with three holes in it are to be used with the riot minis

the medium base with 2 holes is for the hunting horror and 3 holes is for the riot minis

I'm actually considering getting some smaller bases and displaying the minis on those. The large bases seem to be a hold over from first edition, and right now (aside from perhaps using the runes for individual monster identification) I can't really see any other purpose for them?

That's noting that I won't be playing first edition again, of course. So unless I'm wrong about that?

There's something thematic about the big bases. :)

So here's what I'm doing:

1) Remove the paper from the bases (which can be a challenge sometimes, but a small knife can help).

2) Use an x-acto to shave off the "Flash" on the mini. Flash is the extra plastic that seeps around the seams of a mold, and it is one of the things that makes it hard to insert or place a mini into the base right.

3) As I think I might paint these in the future, I'm using a water-soluble glue to attach the pieces. A very small dab of Elmer's Gel glue (blue bottle) so it doesn't run or seep everywhere. Excess is wiped away while fresh.

4) Let dry overnight

5) Use the x-acto knife again to shave the mounting peg flush with the underside of the base (and to remove excess glue), so that the cardboard piece can slide in unhindered.

In the past I've used a hair dryer to fix and straighten molded pieces, but I don't know yet if the 2nd edition plastic will support that.