So how will packs work?

By Supertoe, in Arkham Horror: The Card Game

If you have to play campaign mode, how will packs work? Do you have to wait for the whole cycle to be out to play the new campaign? Or will packs only contain player cards and the deluxes will be campaigns?

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game comes to mind. However, I percieve it more that AHLCG will have 1 scenario per pack, tied to the whole campaign of the cycle in chronological order. I hope that each Mythos Pack will contain a new hero just like LotR LCG does.

Good question. The LotR model of having half player cards and half quest cards seems to work out well. I wonder if they'll do it like that. I'm actually not sure what other models would work, actually. If you got only player cards in a pack, you wouldn't have any new challenges to try them against. But player cards are often what I look forward to most in each pack, so a quest -only pack might be a bit of a bummer.

I think they will manta in the LotR format. In this way, you're forced to get the scenario even if you're interested in player cards only, and vice versa. Was the content split, it'd sell less

Thought it said somewhere that each pack contains a scenario, but I don't know whether that means each cycle is a 6 part campaign that you have to wait for?

Each deluxe introduces a campaign.

adventures, investigators and player cards appear in mythos packs.

It sounds like the deluxe box comes first and that each mythos pack will build upon the campaign until the climax at the 6th pack.

You probably won't have to wait. Each scenario will most likely be playable straight away, but if it follows the LotR model of each cycle of scenarios will require the encounter cards from the core and deluxes. So you wouldn't be able to play cycle 2 with only a core.

Each deluxe introduces a campaign.

adventures, investigators and player cards appear in mythos packs.

It sounds like the deluxe box comes first and that each mythos pack will build upon the campaign until the climax at the 6th pack.

Either way sounds good: campaign first, then scenarios, or vice versa.

I'm so excited that I can play this SOLO! I hate investing in an LCG if none of my friends are also buying... but if I can invest and play all by my lonesome, that's awesome!

Edited by The Mick

My question is how many mythos packs are necessary for 4 players? I can live with 2, but if it's 4 this will be a solo game

I wish for an article on the card distribution now! If each little pack has a mere playset of each unique card, and the set is defined as a pair, it would be really hard to make decks for 4 players with overlapping skill categories. Even two players could be difficult if they share any spheres.

However, if they plan to sell pure scenario packs and separate class packs, like Pathfinder ACG or Warhammer Quest ACG, I think it'll be easier to manage full decks for all. The game looks different enough that I wouldn't put it past them to not follow the old release model.

I'm gonna throw in my two cents and agree with the folks who've said it will likely follow the LOTR model (although maybe that is only because I'm so familiar with it I can't really imagine them doing something different). Most of the other models mentioned seem like they would be pretty dissatisfying. Having player cards and adventures combined means that I don't have to wait extra long for either...When a new pack comes out I know I'm gonna get some new cards to put in my deck AND something new and interesting to try them against (new adventure).

As far as making 4 decks and how many packs will be needed...I'll again reference LOTR. You can easily play 4 player with just 1 core set if 2 players use 10 sided dice for threat trackers (I actually do this most of the time anyway). If AH comes with preconstructed decks it might be the same (or not). Where the difficulty lies is building custom decks for 4 players...with only a few packs released and not may traits developed this was probably difficult in the early days of LOTR (the "unique" property wasn't helping much either). But with a few cycles out, I've been able to build 3-4 good decks out of my cards no problem (of course, they all are very different styles of decks so they aren't necessarily competing for a ton of cards).

In the end, though, I don't really have anything to base this off of except what seems to work well for FFG's other co-op LCG (whose designers created AH).

One full playset will let one player make anything he wants. You can certainly build multiple decks from a single playset, but at times you might run into collisions where two people want the same card in their decks. It's not a question about the game or the cards or the packs, it's a question about YOU. How willing are you and your friends to compromise and use a "second best" card sometimes? How willing are you guys willing to maybe play a different investigator if all of your selected classes overlap too much?

I would expect that two playsets should be fine for most people who are willing to bend a little bit once in a while.

One full playset will let one player make anything he wants. You can certainly build multiple decks from a single playset, but at times you might run into collisions where two people want the same card in their decks. It's not a question about the game or the cards or the packs, it's a question about YOU. How willing are you and your friends to compromise and use a "second best" card sometimes? How willing are you guys willing to maybe play a different investigator if all of your selected classes overlap too much?

I would expect that two playsets should be fine for most people who are willing to bend a little bit once in a while.

Obvious supposition here:

LOTR gives us two player cards for each sphere and one neutral player card plus one hero. LOTR defines a playset as 3 cards so that is 28 player cards in a 60 card pack.

For AH a playset is two cards but there are five spheres. One solution would be 2 cards for each sphere plus 2 neutrals which would be 24 player cards. I agree that we probably won't be getting a new investigator in each pack, but we might be getting a couple of neutral weaknesses that we need to include. I think we will probably be getting a new investigators in the deluxe expansions, but I hope it is more than one.

Obvious supposition here:

LOTR gives us two player cards for each sphere and one neutral player card plus one hero . LOTR defines a playset as 3 cards so that is 28 player cards in a 60 card pack.

For AH a playset is two cards but there are five spheres. One solution would be 2 cards for each sphere plus 2 neutrals which would be 24 player cards. I agree that we probably won't be getting a new investigator in each pack, but we might be getting a couple of neutral weaknesses that we need to include. I think we will probably be getting a new investigators in the deluxe expansions, but I hope it is more than one.

Most of the time anyway. Foundations of stone and Long dark had 3 lore and no neutral.

There is 119 Player cards in the box (if we can believe the leak of the component list). Each deck is 30 cards +3 ( character personal equipment, character weakness and random weakness) so it's impossible to construct 4 decks out of one base set.