Why the App?

By Kriloff, in Mansions of Madness

Hello everyone

This is a simple question that has been bugging me for a while, and is mostly directed at Fantasy Flight Games, but as the title says: Why the App?

Why would FFG choose to use something like an app, instead of a normal rulebook for mansion and keeping the keeper. To me this idea of having apps in boardgames is mindbogglingly wrong, in MoM 2nd ed it takes one of the most awesome things out of the original game: being able to go politics with your keeper and just general interaction with him/her and vice / versa. Personally if I would want to buy the new MoM I would ONLY do so, if they made it so that it is possible to play with proper rules and a real rulebook. What I think is the reason behind FFG having the new MoM have an app is simply to reduce production cost and to reinvent the wheel with the app-keeper thing, which really lowers the overall value of the newest edition in my opinion.

What are your guys' thoughts? Are they going to continuously keep the app up-to-date forever? Or is this game only usable for a limited amount of years, like other boardgames that use apps?

Regards

- Kriloff

Even if they didn't use an app unless they continued adding expansions you would stop receiving new content for the game. If they are willing to keep adding expansions can't see a reason why they wouldn't keep the app up-to-date and with the app randomizing maps it allows for replayability of campaigns. Apps are the way to go moving forward. Even if one doesn't like solo play as a regular thing it is a good way to get a handle on the rules to make it much less complicated for other players, especially those new to board/table top gaming. If games keep moving in this direction you are going to have people that love RPGs, but struggle getting friends and family to play because of how "complicated" they are, able to get people to play them because they think they are just playing a board game. The only thing I would like to see different going forward is both the option to play fully coop or for one player to play the DM role. I think the full coop would be a good way to introduce new characters and then once they are hooked introduce the all against one. With the limited period of time in which they have been offering app supported versions of descent and how MOM looks so far, I am impressed and certainly hope this is the model they continue with going forward.

Or is this game only usable for a limited amount of years, like other boardgames that use apps?

Funny thing - I own a number of board games that use apps, and not one of them has expired yet.

Let me know when you find one.

I have to wonder if you've even looked at the app before rejecting it. One of the scenarios is something like 6 hours long, with multiple locations and a huge amount of story and flavor text. I cannot imagine that level of detail being represented using the old system.

And this game most certainly has "proper rules and a real rulebook". The Keeper was always fairly restricted in his or her available actions. Just because the interaction has changed to happen exclusively between investigators means very little for the game.