Discarding spells

By gran_orco, in Mansions of Madness

When a Spell is discarded, it is returned to its respective deck. But where? To the bottom, or the top? Or is it irrelevant?

From the rules reference:

When an investigator discards a Spell, he returns it to the
Spell deck.
I suggest you read the rules before asking the rule-related questions. The rule reference is very intuitive to use, it has glossary and all sorts of neat things. It's very easy to find an answer to most things there.

It's irrelevant. Take a look at the spells section and you'll see it says to claim a random one, so when you discard it doesn't matter, just give the deck a shuffle before you grab a new one.

The more relevant part is that when an investigator gains a spell, he gains a random copy of that spell. So it is irrelevant where you return it to.

When a Spell is discarded, it is returned to its respective deck . But where? To the bottom, or the top? Or is it irrelevant?

From the rules reference:

When an investigator discards a Spell, he returns it to the Spell deck .
I suggest you read the rules before asking the rule-related questions. The rule reference is very intuitive to use, it has glossary and all sorts of neat things. It's very easy to find an answer to most things there.

I suggest you that you read my question two times before replying. My English is not my native language, but I think that I did my question correctly. And I have read the glossary two times. The second time was to copy-paste the sentence, precisely. Thank you, anyway.

Thank you, Bleached Lizard. Your answer is what I was looking for. I found it in the spell entry.

Edited by gran_orco

I did, I just decided to reply much later, as no one else did, and I was going from the way I remembered it. Regardless, my point stands, your question is answered by simply reading the rules reference, under the related article.

I did, I just decided to reply much later, as no one else did, and I was going from the way I remembered it. Regardless, my point stands, your question is answered by simply reading the rules reference, under the related article.

Yes, but not everyone's proficient enough in English to read that thing and analyse and remember all the points. Asking never hurts, it's important to involve people in our hobby and make them feel welcome. When I started the hobby I kept on making stupid mistakes, and I ended up editing rulebooks. And this because I met patient people who helped me getting into the rules and so on.

Keep your questions coming, Orco, and no worries

Edited by Julia

Being able to find an answer without going to forum is vital. What if they stumble upon something during a session? Do they halt the entire thing and wait for someone on forum to respond? I do not forbid anyone from asking, I encourage people to try finding an answer on their own first, especially for such simple questions.

Edited by John Constantine

John, I am a referee in a lot of games. In fact, I am answering to many people in the Spanish forum. I like reading rules a lot, that is why I can help them. I enjoy it so much that I am willing to read the rules in other language two or three months before I could play the game.

Did you realize that you said what I already knew and you repeated what I said? You didn't answer my question. Yes, it is very easy to find that a spell card is returned to the deck, but I could not see in the rules if the card should be put on the deck, or under the deck. It is more difficult to remember a whole rulebook in a language that is not yours. Trust me. Even more when the place where I must put the card is indicated in other entry, different from the "discard" entry. Seriously, I lose more time writing this. I am not asking in the forum by laziness.

Do not worry about me not being able to find the answer in the rules. I am studying them deeply en English, about two months before the game is published in my country. And then, I will read them again in my own language. For now, I am able to help people that cannot understand your language.

I would guess you just discard the spell and when you've used the last one, shuffle, make new deck. There would be no reason to discard the spell back on top if you're just gonna draw the same card again.

I would guess you just discard the spell and when you've used the last one, shuffle, make new deck. There would be no reason to discard the spell back on top if you're just gonna draw the same card again.

The correct sequence is:

- discard the spell (wherever you want)

- randomize the deck

- draw a new spell from the randomized deck

this means that you can draw again the very same spell you just discarded

The correct sequence is:

- discard the spell (wherever you want)

- randomize the deck

- draw a new spell from the randomized deck

this means that you can draw again the very same spell you just discarded

Ah, I see. I'll probably just make a discard pile and shuffle it up when it's necessary. Less fiddly, doesn't interrupt the pace of the game, and I'd be kind of bummed if I actually had the same exact effect again.

Point taken; just keep in mind there's also a drawback in this: once you have a few plays under your belt, you'll know what's on the backsides of spells so that if you use one a lot, then you'll know what the effects on the last card in the deck will be. Not game breaking, nor problematic, just a thing to remember :) Then play how you like the most :)

John, I am a referee in a lot of games. In fact, I am answering to many people in the Spanish forum. I like reading rules a lot, that is why I can help them. I enjoy it so much that I am willing to read the rules in other language two or three months before I could play the game.

Did you realize that you said what I already knew and you repeated what I said? You didn't answer my question. Yes, it is very easy to find that a spell card is returned to the deck, but I could not see in the rules if the card should be put on the deck, or under the deck. It is more difficult to remember a whole rulebook in a language that is not yours. Trust me. Even more when the place where I must put the card is indicated in other entry, different from the "discard" entry. Seriously, I lose more time writing this. I am not asking in the forum by laziness.

Do not worry about me not being able to find the answer in the rules. I am studying them deeply en English, about two months before the game is published in my country. And then, I will read them again in my own language. For now, I am able to help people that cannot understand your language.

At this point, any question asked here is going to be answered by someone after they check the rulebook for an answer (just like you would if you would have done it yourself), because game is not out and no one knows rules yet (cept for designers and testers, prolly). I know I didn't, I said I was answering it from my memory because when I first time saw this thread I thought someone would reply to it, but no one did, so later I decided to do it. I remembered wrong, sheet happens, this doesn't affects the point I made in my post.

Why are you talking to me like english is my native or something? I'm form Ukraine. No one speaks english here.

At this point, any question asked here is going to be answered by someone after they check the rulebook for an answer (just like you would if you would have done it yourself), because game is not out and no one knows rules yet (cept for designers and testers, prolly).

Wrong. I answer people because I know the rules. If not, I can remember where I read the doubt of the person who is asking me, so I can find it quickly in the rules reference and I can tell him where is the answer, or answer him directly, as Bleached Lizard did. People is not asking because they din't read the rules, but because they do not find them in the rulebook or because the rule is not explicity explained. Other times, it is merely because the do not understand the rule as other do.

Why is there a "rules" subforum in most games, then? Visit the Imperial Assault forum, for example. From your point of view, there would be no FAQ, never.

If you find always the answer in the rules, great. I already got the answer. I won't write more about this to help other people to find it in this thread.

Either I express myself unclearly, or your english is indeed a bit weak, because you claim that I am wrong and then counter with completely irrelevant to what you have quoted points.

Ok guys, not to sound rude, but can we stop this here? :)