A chance to get 1e figures?

By Beren Eoath, in Mansions of Madness

Ok, so everything in this game looks amazing but I do not own 1e but want to have those monsters and investigators figures, maybe even the map tiles. Does anyone know is FFG going to reprint those? Are they going to make a new box with those so if YOu do not own 1e still can incorporate that material?

Will there be any official FFG product with those figures and/or map tiles? Or must I pay to much for a used product on the net?

Thanks for your replay

Beren

Nothing's confirmed, but if Descent 2nd edition is any indication, you will probably see those contents being updated and released in new expansions for MOM 2nd edition along the line.

I would go seek for these boxes on the second hand market as soon as possible. There are still many copies flying around, even in stores.

Yeah, it annoys me that I'd be buying the 2nd Edition but ultimately paying for a load of content (33 monster tiles, etc.) that I simply cannot use as I do not own the 1st Edition.

That's a lot of content that should simply have not been included in this game. If the conversion kit was a separate product it could have made the base game cheaper or allowed for more content that could be used for all.

This is clearly a game that's all about getting the existing 1st Edition owners to upgrade. For that reason, I'm out until I can see where FFG are going with this.

Yeah, it annoys me that I'd be buying the 2nd Edition but ultimately paying for a load of content (33 monster tiles, etc.) that I simply cannot use as I do not own the 1st Edition.

Why shouldn't you? You don't have the minis, but you can place the monster chits on the board and use a simple proxy for investigators. The only annoying thing will be when the app calls for a 1st edition tile you don't own, but those are very few occasions in a scenario (if any) and you can easily prox the missing tile with a piece of paper (or possibly on BGG there are images of 1st edition tile, so you can print those at home)

Clearly it's not the ideal, but still, it doesn't mean you can't use the available content

That's a lot of content that should simply have not been included in this game. If the conversion kit was a separate product it could have made the base game cheaper or allowed for more content that could be used for all.

This is clearly a game that's all about getting the existing 1st Edition owners to upgrade. For that reason, I'm out until I can see where FFG are going with this.

I'm 100% positive that FFG will be putting out expansions to fill in the gaps that will have the hero figures and the monster figures from the first edition. FFG doesn't overlook an opportunity like his.

The only annoying thing will be when the app calls for a 1st edition tile you don't own, but those are very few occasions in a scenario (if any)

Where do you base this on?

The only annoying thing will be when the app calls for a 1st edition tile you don't own, but those are very few occasions in a scenario (if any)

App played a few times in the last 24 hours (yeah, shamelessly addict)

Yup! That's addiction! :D I would do the same if I could. The waiting for having the game in my country will be maddening. I will take 5 horror tokens meanwhile...

If you do want to try to track down the 1e expansions for the sake of the tiles and minis... try searching for the non-English language versions. Some of them seem to be much more available. A Japanese Edition of Forbidden Alchemy recently sold on EBay fo $10(!), and I was able to obtain a copy of the Italian version of FA (I already have the English versions of the base set and Call of the Wild) for less than $30. The tiles and minis are basically non-language dependant, so it works great!

I'm still waiting for the game but I spammed the first 1/2 scenario 6 times on the app to see how the randomization worked. So far I'm 50-50 on 1st vs 2nd tiles.

I'm pretty happy with how the scenarios change with each play through.

I'm 100% positive that FFG will be putting out expansions to fill in the gaps that will have the hero figures and the monster figures from the first edition. FFG doesn't overlook an opportunity like his.

Based on their history I would agree. Not owning the 1st edition though I would have liked to have seen the conversion kit be a separate product also, so the 2nd edition stand alone could have been cheaper. While I would be fine proxying 1E monsters and investigators. I would definitely not be interested in proxying paper map tiles as suggested. That being the case this release is still super exciting and I hope they continue these app supported releases going forward.

Based on their history I would agree. Not owning the 1st edition though I would have liked to have seen the conversion kit be a separate product also, so the 2nd edition stand alone could have been cheaper. While I would be fine proxying 1E monsters and investigators. I would definitely not be interested in proxying paper map tiles as suggested. That being the case this release is still super exciting and I hope they continue these app supported releases going forward.

I honestly don't think it would have been any less expensive without the conversion kit. My guess is they wanted the price to be at $99.95 from the start. This is the price of Star Wars Rebellion and it seems to be where their big box games are headed.

I think the decision was whether or not to included the conversion kit in the box or to make it a separate purchase and decided to eat the cost of the conversion kit and put it in the box. This does two things for them. It garners a little good will from all the 1E owners who are going to complain about a second edition. The second thing it does is gives them a lot of flexibility on how to sell the monsters to customers that don't own anything from 1E or just own some of it. They just need to sell the plastic now. No cards, counters, tiles, everything is included already. I would think in the long run they will save a lot of money by not having to included this material in future monster/investigator expansions.

Edited by quartersmostly

I honestly don't think it would have been any less expensive without the conversion kit. My guess is they wanted the price to be at $99.95 from the start. This is the price of Star Wars Rebellion and it seems to be where their big box games are headed.

I think the decision was whether or not to included the conversion kit in the box or to make it a separate purchase and decided to eat the cost of the conversion kit and put it in the box. This does two things for them. It garners a little good will from all the 1E owners who are going to complain about a second edition. The second thing it does is gives them a lot of flexibility on how to sell the monsters to customers that don't own anything from 1E or just own some of it. They just need to sell the plastic now. No cards, counters, tiles, everything is included already. I would think in the long run they will save a lot of money by not having to included this material in future monster/investigator expansions.

That makes sense also. Since I don't have the 1E and haven't yet gotten the 2nd I can't speak to whether the value is there at that price point. I can say it is rare I have opened something from FFG and been disappointed with the money I spent, so, at some point I am definitely buying this either way. If nothing else I love what they are doing with the app support and want to see it continue and am willing to support with my wallet to see that happen.