Four scenarios, Two in Innsmouth...

By cheeseburglar, in Mansions of Madness

I saw both four and five starting scenarios mentioned in different places, but sad to see only four included with two of them being in Innsmouth. Four scenarios for $100 is on the lean side (I do get that there's built-in replayability), especially if you're not enamoured of Innsmouth.

Perhaps the plan is to release area-specific scenarios in packages like Arkham Horror? I'm sure the designers/testers struggled over whether to do it this way, but I would've prefered five scenarios, even if one was *very* simple. And would've loved one at Miskatonic University or Arkham proper, or really Vermont, Providence, Ipswich, Kingsport, Dunwich, or even a southern locale. The choice to put two scenarios in Innsmouth just seems odd given how many places there are typical to the mythos. They knew someone would complain... I guess I'm that guy.

Not too stressed. The first addition have five scenarios with 7 to 8 potential variants in each?

Right now this one is definitely focused on Innsmouth and if you look at the miniatures on page 22 of the Rules Reference guide you can see why. But I have no doubt that we will be seeing more heavily themed scenarios like MU, Dunwich Horror and so on in the expansions to come and I am looking forward to seeing where they take this. Cheers!

Dude, one of these scenarios has a game lenght for 4 to 6 hrs. I stoped playing around the app, because there's so much surprises in the dark :P

I saw both four and five starting scenarios mentioned in different places, but sad to see only four included with two of them being in Innsmouth. Four scenarios for $100 is on the lean side (I do get that there's built-in replayability), especially if you're not enamoured of Innsmouth.

Perhaps the plan is to release area-specific scenarios in packages like Arkham Horror? I'm sure the designers/testers struggled over whether to do it this way, but I would've prefered five scenarios, even if one was *very* simple. And would've loved one at Miskatonic University or Arkham proper, or really Vermont, Providence, Ipswich, Kingsport, Dunwich, or even a southern locale. The choice to put two scenarios in Innsmouth just seems odd given how many places there are typical to the mythos. They knew someone would complain... I guess I'm that guy.

I'm sure all of these locations are coming. :)

MoM is a game that is heavily dependant on theme, and so it makes sense to focus each box on one theme at a time. If they tried to focus on multiple locations at one time, it would mean the theme of each would be spread too thinly among the number of possible components in the box.

Chris scores a good point here. Give time to the developers to expand properly the game. Now that the game's structure is actually working, it's just a matter of time to see a lot more maps and adventures coming.

As for the number of scenarios included: we have 4 scenarios, built with lots of details and possible different interactions and alternate maps and different seeding of items to grant replayability to the game. And as said one scenario lasts 6 hours (but it's actually impossible to complete in 6 hours on your first playthrough), which means you'll probably play it over 2 or 3 different sessions. This should keep you busy for quite a lot of time, considering you can play the same adventures even with other investigators and so on. Replayability of these 4 scenarios is rather huge (for me it's bigger than the replayability of a game like EH where in the core set you had just 4 AOs with an under the par number of cards, for example)

I'm a bit sad that the first edition scenarios aren't in there even when you plug in the content. How much work would it be to adapt them to 2e?

To properly adapt the 1st edition scenarios would require a complete re-write and beefing up in most cases. Plus it's hard to adapt 3 different objectives with a similar setup into a single objective with nice variability (Call of the wild being the exception here of course). So while it could be done, it would pretty much be creating brand new scenarios from scratch that are based on the originals and not just a simple import. At that point they probably prefer to make brand new scenarios rather than re-hash ones people who have owned 1st edition have already played.

I'm a bit sad that the first edition scenarios aren't in there even when you plug in the content. How much work would it be to adapt them to 2e?

Rough estimate: 2-3 months minimum per scenario, if you want those properly tested and a flawless app

If they introduce editor, I'll port Fall of House Lynch ASAP.

Unfortunately enough work to require to pay for them again, which supposedly wouldn't be very popular. Should there ever be a custom scenario editor for second edition, it might be possible to bring them back through that avenue (which would be awesome!).