1E investigators

By Daedalus, in Mansions of Madness

Are 1st edition investigators usable without owning all the 1st edition products? I downloaded the app, and you can't select any of the 1st edition investigators without enabling the entire product they come with.

I own all the miniatures (long time Arkham Horror player) and will of course have all the investigator cards in the conversion kit. Is it possible to just select an investigator in the app but use a different one at the table? Or are there elements in the app that will be investigator-specific?

No, the app allows you to select which 1E sets you have as a whole. If you do not select a 1E set, you cannot select the investigators from that set. However, if you DO select the set, the tiles the app suggests will include the tiles from that set in the possible generated map.

I don't know what on the app is investigator specific to be honest because as far as I could tell, the only thing the selected investigator changed was starting equipment access (though I didn't spoil most of any scenario while digging around. I suppose there could be specific dialogue or something?).

It MIGHT be possible to use a proxy IF you know what starting equipment the chosen investigator uses and if that equipment does not have a component ability that the app needs access to. For instance, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't use Kate as she allows you to start with the unique Flux Stabilizer (not sure what this does). If it changes the way monster/mythos are generated then that would be problematic as the app wouldn't know you had the item.

Until we have a better idea of what encounters the investigators affect and what their starting equipment options are, I don't think there's an easy answer except wait for FFG to re-release them with expansions.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. It's hard to explain it if you haven't actually seen the app yet.

Edited by Soakman

Are 1st edition investigators usable without owning all the 1st edition products? I downloaded the app, and you can't select any of the 1st edition investigators without enabling the entire product they come with.

I own all the miniatures (long time Arkham Horror player) and will of course have all the investigator cards in the conversion kit. Is it possible to just select an investigator in the app but use a different one at the table? Or are there elements in the app that will be investigator-specific?

Yes you can. You may select 4 investigators among the new and then play with the old. It's enough that you keep a table with the correspondance, so that if you're playing with Darrell but pretend to be playing with Agatha, you remember that all effects targetting Agatha are actually targetting Darrell

Or you can enable everything, and in the unfortunate case a 1st edition tile is summoned, you just use a proxy for the tile (a piece of paper with marked doors and walls, or another unused tile from the game)

Much simpler response Julia. :) And good to know there's nothing that would be broken by substituting.

Yes you can. You may select 4 investigators among the new and then play with the old. It's enough that you keep a table with the correspondance, so that if you're playing with Darrell but pretend to be playing with Agatha, you remember that all effects targetting Agatha are actually targetting Darrell

Or you can enable everything, and in the unfortunate case a 1st edition tile is summoned, you just use a proxy for the tile (a piece of paper with marked doors and walls, or another unused tile from the game)

As far as starting equipment is concerned, it's a simple matter of just looking at the investigator sheets for both the played investigator and proxied investigator and make the equipment adjustments there. I doubt the app takes carried equipment into account for any decision making.

Thank you for the responses.

Edited by Daedalus

I'm not sure how starting equipment is selected is covered in the manual. I THINK it is randomized via the app? But the Flux Stabilizer is listed as Kate's ability on her card ("You begin the game with the Flux Stabilizer"). I'm not sure there is a "list" of what each character's starting equipment is (if it is static per investigator).

Maybe I just missed it, as I've only seen the investigator cards in the previews and not in any particularly fine detail. I do know the flux stabilizer is listed as Kate's ability just as Rita's ability is listed as "You can move an additional space when taking the movement action" or however it is worded.

Starting equipment seems to be based on the selected investigators. Proxying might be more dangerous than in Road to Legend. Also, while you could false flag a board as owned, you'd have problems with missing board tiles (possibly). You COULD work around it, just be aware that you might have a problem there.

Is it? I know Kate starts with Flux Stabilizer 100%, and Pete starts with Duke, however I did not noticed any other investigator specific equipment during setup.

I'm not sure how starting equipment is selected is covered in the manual. I THINK it is randomized via the app? But the Flux Stabilizer is listed as Kate's ability on her card ("You begin the game with the Flux Stabilizer"). I'm not sure there is a "list" of what each character's starting equipment is (if it is static per investigator).

Maybe I just missed it, as I've only seen the investigator cards in the previews and not in any particularly fine detail. I do know the flux stabilizer is listed as Kate's ability just as Rita's ability is listed as "You can move an additional space when taking the movement action" or however it is worded.

Just ignore starting equipment for the character you selected in the app and use the starting equipment for the character you are actually playing. The 2E game comes with the conversion kit with the investigator cards for every investigator in 1E, so there shouldn't be any problems proxying.

Unless of course the required starting equipment is a card that's only available in the 1E product and not part of the conversion kit.

Edited by Daedalus

Just ignore starting equipment for the character you selected in the app and use the starting equipment for the character you are actually playing. The 2E game comes with the conversion kit with the investigator cards for every investigator in 1E, so there shouldn't be any problems proxying.

Unless of course the required starting equipment is a card that's only available in the 1E product and not part of the conversion kit.

Does it actually tell you the characters' starting items anywhere? Besides the special ones?

Does it actually tell you the characters' starting items anywhere? Besides the special ones?
Edited by Daedalus

... this is how Descent's new app-controlled campaign works. The character selected has no effect on the app other than whose icon is displayed on the screen...

This is not true. There are many travel events (and possibly other events) that are influenced by having elvish speakers, healers or other members in your party.i personally hope this also applies to MoM.

... this is how Descent's new app-controlled campaign works. The character selected has no effect on the app other than whose icon is displayed on the screen...

This is not true. There are many travel events (and possibly other events) that are influenced by having elvish speakers, healers or other members in your party.i personally hope this also applies to MoM.

Really? I've come across travel events that give additional options based on character class, but they are not character dependent at all. So in your example, "healers" has nothing to do with which character you chose to play as long as you simply kept in mind to choose the same class when proxying. But I haven't run into anything race dependent (e.g. elvish speakers), so that's pretty interesting. If so, then yes that could pose a tiny bit of a problem. But again, that only happens during travel events, which isn't a part of MoM. I've heard from another player on the BGG forum that no issues at all arise from proxying in other characters.

Edited by Daedalus

I have not seen a travel event with "elvish speakers," but I did have one that needed a mage with a familiar.