App just became available

By cheeseburglar, in Mansions of Madness

On the app store (IOS).

Also on steam now.

Anyone find a rulebook in the app? I didn't see one when clicking around.

Been wanting to read the rules before I get my copy on Thursday. :)

If you look at the Steam Store Page, View Manual (Top link not bottom) will bring you to the Learn to Play guide, the View Quick Reference will bring you to the Rules Reference Guide. I do not know if there are any other manuals but that should at least give you a decent idea of the new rules.

Perfect - exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

This app is amazing. Really atmospheric. Well looks like I'll be double-dipping MoM.

I just finished reading through the "Learn to Play" manual off steam.... I am so hyped now. This seems like exactly what I was hoping the game to be, and it seems like they even addressed some of the issues my group and I had when playing 1st edition (we still loved the game, but it had its quirks). For example, darkness can now be ignored if you are adjacent to a space on fire (which makes sense thematically). And combat is as simple as picking your monster, picking your weapon type, and the app gives you the result/test (which eliminates the "draw a card... wrong weapon type.... draw a card... wrong type....draw a card...etc." Plus the example they showed in the manual makes it seem the combat and horror descriptions will be specific to the monster you are fighting. Also for evasions and (horror checks as well), no more worrying about having to do multiple evasion tests or horror tests, just perform one test against the monster with the highest awareness or horror rating.... I could keep rambling, but needless to say I am excited for this so much more now.

The rules are on the Mansions official web page too.

Yea, the app is very well done. It already feels like fall to me, heh. :D

Had a quick dabble with it, clicked through everything quickly to avoid spoiling anything, and obviously clueless to the rules.

I do like the idea of entering a home, interrogating folks, then leaving the area (wipe the map) and going to a new area at night (new maps)

I haven't seen a single none 2nd edition tile yet though, and 4 scenarios seem to be all there is on offer.

Anyone tested a scenario several times to see if anything changes?

Excellent! Have the local store here holding me a copy Thursday, but I was definitely wanting to see the app beforehand.

So, I downloaded it for my iPad Pro. Looks amazing, but I can't get any sound whatsoever out of it. Hmmm.

Edit: Nevermind. Got it to work. Me being dumb. LOL.

Edited by jonwes

Had a quick dabble with it, clicked through everything quickly to avoid spoiling anything, and obviously clueless to the rules.

I do like the idea of entering a home, interrogating folks, then leaving the area (wipe the map) and going to a new area at night (new maps)

I haven't seen a single none 2nd edition tile yet though, and 4 scenarios seem to be all there is on offer.

Anyone tested a scenario several times to see if anything changes?

Edited by kraisto

Our fears about gameplay I think have mostly been allayed (not a simple dungeon crawl, some nods to investigation in it's 1e form), but of course we'll need to see a playthrough...

Edited by cheeseburglar

Just to add a few more details for those who are curious, I fired up the app and played a couple fake rounds in the easy scenario on both of the primary devices that I would be using.

After picking a scenario, and the investigators to be used, you are given a somewhat random set of starting items/spells to be distributed among your team. I got different items in the two plays, so there is some randomness to them.

There is then a fully voiced prologue, introducing the scenario. Then you are given the initial starting map tile(s). The first game I tried had all 2nd edition tiles, but the second game I tried used 1st edition tiles. Still a similar entrance (a foyer of some sort), but nice to see they are using tiles from both editions that can serve the same purpose.

Then the app gives a description of all of the points of interest in the room (areas/objects to investigate, doors to explore new rooms, items that may be laying in the open and freely picked up, people to talk to, monsters, etc.)

When you talk to an NPC there are multiple conversation choices, and talking to them more than once may offer different selections. Also seems there are some tests involved during conversations to determine if an NPC will give you information or not.

It's also possible to have an area that you can't see, but you don't need to "explore" to reveal, just need to move someone to a certain space. For example in the first game I tried there was the start of a hallway at the opposite end of the Foyer (starting room) that went around the corner. Once I moved someone to the end of that hallway, I was then able to reveal the rest of the hallway without having to use another action to "explore" (so line of site ftw).

Combat is fairly straight forward. If you want to attack a monster, you bring up a list of currently active monsters, choose one to attack, pick your weapon type, then it tells you a description of the action, and what test to do and the outcome if you pass or fail. You then input damage on the monster if you do damage (which the app will track, so you don't need to). However, the app seems fairly loose in other ways as it does NOT keep track of what weapons you actually have, whom you are attacking with, or if you are actually in range. For example I chose to attack with firearms even though I didn't have any guns yet, but the app allowed it. This is good IMO since it is acting more like a tool to streamline combat rather than enforce a lot of rules (like a video game would have to). It allows for the multitude of factors that could come into play during any specific combat encounter.

Some events will trigger depending on what you do. For example:

(MINOR SPOILER FOR FIRST SCENARIO)

My first (and only) combat encounter involved a monster in a room and an NPC hiding from it in an adjacent room. After killing the monster, the NPC came out of the room to speak to the investigators since it was safe. But I imagine I could have run past the monster into the next room to talk to the NPC that way.

(END MINOR SPOILER)

That's really all I have to say so far as I'm going to wait to actually play to dive much deeper, but I must say I am very happy with the result of the app so far, and I think this will take MoM to the next level for me and my gaming group.

On your spoiler: indeed, according to what you do at that moment, then things change

stupid me

Edited by Lilikin

we want reprint of forbidden alquemy and the call of savage. We were waiting years and now we´ve been just ignored

Available for android, finally.

This is going to be available in the amazon app store as well, yeah? I'd really like to have it on my kindle fire, but it isn't available as of yet. I think I read that it was, but just checking so I know what I need to play when I get my copy asap. I have it on my desktop, but it's a little unwieldy.

I can confirm it is in the amazon app store, but I can also confirm it is not compatible with first generation kindle fires (which is what I have :( ) But I had a spare laptop laying around, so I'm using that instead.

Oof, thanks. That might be my problem. I don't know what version of the Fire I have, but it is old. I might have to update to a newer one soon anyway. Appreciate the confirmation because when I search for it as of yesterday, it didn't show it. Just some weird game about a lonely girl, thieves, and a mansion? LOL.