He/she who spends the most money shall be winner...the question is how much

By karatechop, in Star Wars: Destiny

OK. I'm over-simplifying it. Maybe there is an exception that you can make competitive decks w/o having to spend that much, but unlikely. Ultra rares will be the most powerful cards.

My guess on how much it takes to build a complete set is probably around $300-$400 per set; probably on the low-end of the spectrum. However, there will be duplicates, triples, or 4x of ultra rares that you need-unless the rules state you can only have 1 of each card. So I'm guessing you'll be spending $1000-$3000? to be competitive at Nationals/Worlds for the core set?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

1. Let's wait and see rare rate and demand

2. $300-$400 is way over projecting it. In Pokemon you could make one for less then $100.

Yes this isn't Pokemon but it isn't Magic ether. Please let's chill and see how things breakdown.

1.000, 3.000$? Dude! with that money you can play MTG legacy tournaments. No way It's gonna be that bad.

300$ to by the way. ;)

Depends really.

In a way every (non co-op) game with expnasions is pay to win: Supose you and I play a game and you only (want to) have the core box and I rock up with all the expansions: I'll have a clear advantage because I have much more options and flexability.

Now dice masters has around 10+ expansions with 4+ different ultra rares per set. There are only 3 ultra rares (and a few high power rares) that get played consistently in tournaments. (3 from a pool of 40+, that's not bad is it?)

MTG and yugioh on the other hand...

It will be interesting to see how the deckbuilding rules turn out.

And then we'll need set size, rarity distribution, etc.

I guess it still to early to tell...

Cost will be a factor But I never bought into the hype of buying wins. If YOU the player know how to PLAY Your deck then someone who just dropped the cash to netdeck will 90% fail... Will it cost money to play YES! Will it be more than any current LCG, YES! Your paying for the thrill, the community, The Game itself! 3 more days until WE find out if its the game we all want it to be. Let the gameplay decide for you :) I know I will once I sit down at that Demo Table! oh and come join up here the First Facebook Fan group!

Edited by ImDoneItsOver

Well, the 30 card deck means it will be less than usual. My guess is like $200-300 per set.

Edited by Toenail

I'm so eager to hear about the deck-building. I do love the SWLCG 'objective set' method, BUT there are times where I really miss the traditional deck-building methods and being able to tinker 1x card at a time. I really hope this game allows for that, with good choices to boost and/or defend all types of strategies as the game and meta grows.

Come on GenCon, get here!

Cost will be a factor But I never bought into the hype of buying wins. If YOU the player know how to PLAY Your deck then someone who just dropped the cash to netdeck will 90% fail... Will it cost money to play YES! Will it be more than any current LCG, YES! Your paying for the thrill, the community, The Game itself! 3 more days until WE find out if its the game we all want it to be. Let the gameplay decide for you :) I know I will once I sit down at that Demo Table! oh and come join up here the First Facebook Fan group!

We are allow to advertise Facebook groups? In that case please come join Destiny Shapers. The friendliest Star Wars Destiny Group devoted to discussion, community, and your one stop shop for news and market. Ran by yours truly a lifelong Star Wars fan and gamer girl :) .(Ok maybe too soon for a tag line lol)

Edited by JediGeekGirl

OK. I'm over-simplifying it. Maybe there is an exception that you can make competitive decks w/o having to spend that much, but unlikely. Ultra rares will be the most powerful cards.

My guess on how much it takes to build a complete set is probably around $300-$400 per set; probably on the low-end of the spectrum. However, there will be duplicates, triples, or 4x of ultra rares that you need-unless the rules state you can only have 1 of each card. So I'm guessing you'll be spending $1000-$3000? to be competitive at Nationals/Worlds for the core set?

Where are you pulling those absurd numbers from?

My bet is thin air, which, incidentally, is where most discussion about Destiny comes from at this point in time :-P

My bet is thin air, which, incidentally, is where most discussion about Destiny comes from at this point in time :-P

There is Denver style thin air, and then outer space thin air. He's pulling from the later.

These posts need to stop, if you don't want to play a CCG just don't and stop complaining. Geez...

There is Denver style thin air, and then outer space thin air. He's pulling from the later.

Nah, its more Everest thin air. He does have a good point, just it has a lack of info to back it up.

What good point? That a competitive Destiny deck will cost between $1000-$3000? If you think that is even a remotely valid estimate you are high as a kite.

You don't even get to that high of costs in full fledged CCGs that offer cash prizes. Maybe in some MTG formats the require cards that have been out of print for 20 years, but that's it.

It's not that he doesn't have enough evidence to prove his point, it's that he has so much evidence that doesn't support his point that asserting it anyway is outright hogwash. No two ways about it.

Edited by ScottieATF

I think it will be a safe bet to say that the UR cards may not be the most powerful, but they will most certainly be the most popular characters.

I think it will be a safe bet to say that the UR cards may not be the most powerful, but they will most certainly be the most popular characters.

Maybe but I would expect they are also the ones that will be highly costed. Their rarity will make the sought after for collections, but if my card is worth 15 points then it should be on par with any other card that is 15 points.

What good point? That a competitive Destiny deck will cost between $1000-$3000? If you think that is even a remotely valid estimate you are high as a kite.

You don't even get to that high of costs in full fledged CCGs that offer cash prizes. Maybe in some MTG formats the require cards that have been out of print for 20 years, but that's it.

It's not that he doesn't have enough evidence to prove his point, it's that he has so much evidence that doesn't support his point that asserting anyway is outright hogwash. No two ways about it.

Scottie, you clearly never played Star Wars CCG from Decipher...because if you did, you would have known that the top decks (they forced you to play both Light and Dark) were about $300-$400 each (Multiple copies of Vader, Luke, Yoda, Red 5, Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan's Lightsaber, Millenium Falcon plus all the other overpriced $10 rares). It today's $, that's easily over 1K. I will say that back then eBay didn't exist so the market was imperfect which could make a difference today. Also, there is a chance it won't run this high if you are restricted to 1 card per deck, but my gut says this won't be the case.

On a side note, please make sure your arguments are rational; or at least articulate your points better w/o being insulting. I realize you're already drinking the Kool-Aid for the game...which is ok, but think before you post next time. Much appreciated :)

Edited by karatechop

We need an LCG with Decipher Star Wars's "You may play any # of copies of each card!" deck construction, the forum rage would be glorious.

"I HAD TO BUY ______PACK #13 FORTY TWO TIMES TO GET ENOUGH COPIES OF "WIDGET" FOR MY DECK TO WORK"

We need an LCG with Decipher Star Wars's "You may play any # of copies of each card!" deck construction, the forum rage would be glorious.

"I HAD TO BUY ______PACK #13 FORTY TWO TIMES TO GET ENOUGH COPIES OF "WIDGET" FOR MY DECK TO WORK"

LOL. There was a card in the Dagobah cycle called "Fear." One of my friends put together a deck of all Fears, and it cost him around $60. At the end he was like "Mehhh, not happy with this so I deconstructed it."

It's not that he doesn't have enough evidence to prove his point, it's that he has so much evidence that doesn't support his point that asserting anyway is outright hogwash. No two ways about it.

Scottie, you clearly never played Star Wars CCG from Decipher...because if you did, you would have known that the top decks (they forced you to play both Light and Dark) were about $300-$400 each (Multiple copies of Vader, Luke, Yoda, Red 5, Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan's Lightsaber, Millenium Falcon plus all the other overpriced $10 rares). It today's $, that's easily over 1K. I will say that there is a chance it won't run this high if you are restricted to 1 card per deck, but my gut says this won't be the case.

And all of those are full fledged CCGS, some of which have professional circuits and cash prizes. Not 30 card deck dice games. From a companies who's top OP prizing is playmats.

So you are basing this off of trying to adjust deck costs from 20 years ago for inflation? And even that napkin math only reaches the low end of your range. As opposed to any of the games on market today. That's outright shoddy logic or pure intellectual dishonestly.

Edited by ScottieATF

Scottie, you clearly never played Star Wars CCG from Decipher...because if you did, you would have known that the top decks (they forced you to play both Light and Dark) were about $300-$400 each (Multiple copies of Vader, Luke, Yoda, Red 5, Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan's Lightsaber, Millenium Falcon plus all the other overpriced $10 rares). It today's $, that's easily over 1K. I will say that back then eBay didn't exist so the market was imperfect which could make a difference today. Also, there is a chance it won't run this high if you are restricted to 1 card per deck, but my gut says this won't be the case.

On a side note, please make sure your arguments are rational; or at least articulate your points better w/o being insulting. I realize you're already drinking the Kool-Aid for the game...which is ok, but think before you post next time. Much appreciated :)

So 30-card competitive Destiny decks will be over 1k USD, because competitive 60-card decks that you required two of for a completely different game made by a completely different company fifteen to twenty years ago were 400 USD?

I think there might be some leaping of logic involved here.

Where it's stated that you need 60 cards in a competitive deck? Wasn't it 30?

Anyhow, considering it's FFG with Lukas designing, I hardly think that legendary breaks the game. It's a lot more likely the theory that legendary are possibly the most loved characters. Possibly they are stronger, but not game-breakers

We've no idea what the distribution of cards is. We've no idea how many total distinct cards are in the 'awakenings' set. So we've no idea how much anything would cost.

EDIT: The highest card number shown on the FFG articles is 170. I wonder how much bigger the Awakenings set is?

Edited by jonboyjon1990

We have no idea how good any of the (rare/legendary) cards will be.

For all we know there might be a real good "silver bullet" common that stops legendaries dead.

Take MTG from a few years ago for example:

Baneslayer angel: awesome card, ultra rare, 30$ price tag....

And it would constantly get taken out by Doom blade, a dirt cheap common any time.

This is insane stabbing into the dark.

• We don't know how the balance of the game will be?
  • We don't know the deck building rules, in my 30 card deck can I include 1, 2, 3 or more copies of each card.
  • We don't know how many rare and legendary cards there are?
  • We don't even know if ultra-rares will be the most powerful (although force choke as written is super legit and can let you choose the side you want on any character (even your own!)).

Right now a feed or display for this game is priced around 90 at my local retailer with a small discount. I'd expect the distribution model to require about 2 feeds per set to get everything, it's to be seen what a playset is but I wouldn't expect more then 2x per card being allowed in a deck with such a small deck.

Assuming