Expensive - what does that mean?

By Richard_Thomas_, in Star Wars: Destiny

You mean Light Side cards in with Dark Side cards? What they could possibly do if there is a draft format is you are paired with another draftee and one of you gets all of the Light Side cards from both packs and the other player gets all of the Dark Side. Not sure if this will fully make everything "useable" since it looks like certain equipment and support cards only attach to certain types of heroes, which you still might not get.

I'm pretty sure they'll find a way for us to draft though.

There looks to be a decent amount of neutral cards, and most of the common cards are probably neutral (just guessing). If the majority of villain/hero cards are in the rare slot, you may see a situation where everyone just keeps whatever rares they open during the draft, and then choose their side at the end. I don't know, though.

I don't like the idea of splitting light and dark cards because if two people are drafting and you pair them, what if one pulls 4/5 heroes and the other pulls 3/5 heroes? Whoever gets stuck as the villain sort of gets the shaft. That's especially true if all the villains happen to be rares while a few of the heroes are legends. I think people need more ability to choose in a draft setting.

Im seeing a lot of comments about being "adult" about knowing when to stop but that view doesnt take into account OCD. OCD can be very very difficult for some people, its a medicsl condition.

True that FFG do not hold any responsibility to account for that, but to an extent, blind-buy collectible games containing unbalanced distribution (rares, ultra rares etc) DO take advantage of that, we know they do (gotta catch em all) even if the companies pretend not.

FFG became a kind of haven for such people, whereby you can know you are able to obtain a full set and how much it would cost.

So there are a lot of loyal FFG customers in that position, now worried about the implications, theres no being "adult" about it or "just dont buy it", its more about the wider implications.

Being dependant on glassess doesnt mean you can suddenly decide to see better and thus stop using them.

Theres obviously a market for this game and people excited about it, but others who may be affected can voice their concerns too.

With the OCD asoect, yes this could be very expensive and its not yet even possible/easy to estimate a max on that.

Im seeing a lot of comments about being "adult" about knowing when to stop but that view doesnt take into account OCD. OCD can be very very difficult for some people, its a medicsl condition.

The obsessive-compulsive mental disorder has nothing to do with being irresponsible with your money when buying leisure merchandise. You are confusing the actual mental disorder with a blown-out-of-proportion half-joke meme-ified use of the term by geeks on the internet. Despite what you read on internet meme websites, if you like to have all the books on your bookshelf to face the same way, you don't have OCD or Asperger's or autism or any other condition. You're just neat.

Buying way more stuff than you objectively should isn't OCD. OCD is checking the lock on the door seven times before going out to work and then still getting anxious all day about whether or not you locked the door, to a point that it affects your work.

Information on the actual condition is readily available on the internet, I'd advise you to read up on it.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

Lets put it this way:

An LCG pack has 60 cards and costs $15.

If I bought 15 worth of these boosters, I'd get 25 cards and 5 dice.

So yeah, bad pricing.

You get 3 copies of 20 unique cards (apart from when getting a LotR pack), which is slightly different than getting 60 cards. At this point you'd say that 15 dollars of boosters could mean 5 copies of the same 5 cards, which is also true, but to make an actual comparison we should break it down to this:

- 5 cards for an LCG in single copy cost 15/12 = 1.25 bucks

- 5 cards and a die for SWD cost a total of 2.99 bucks

the difference is 1.74 bucks that is represented by the cost of the die

So, it's not that different (the difference is also lower because the cost for packaging should be taken into account), considering that usually (here at least) a standard die costs 1 to 1.50 EUR (according to the type of die) and it's not a customized die

Lets put it this way:

So yeah, bad pricing.

You get 3 copies of 20 unique cards (apart from when getting a LotR pack), which is slightly different than getting 60 cards. At this point you'd say that 15 dollars of boosters could mean 5 copies of the same 5 cards, which is also true, but to make an actual comparison we should break it down to this:

So, it's not that different (the difference is also lower because the cost for packaging should be taken into account), considering that usually (here at least) a standard die costs 1 to 1.50 EUR (according to the type of die) and it's not a customized die

Well Dicemasters is 2 dice and 2 cards and its 0.99 $. Granted the dice of dicemasters and this are different but both are costum dice. Since both are mass produced i doubt there is such a high price difference.

The obsessive-compulsive mental disorder has nothing to do with being irresponsible with your money when buying leisure merchandise. You are confusing the actual mental disorder with a blown-out-of-proportion half-joke meme-ified use of the term by geeks on the internet. Despite what you read on internet meme websites, if you like to have all the books on your bookshelf to face the same way, you don't have OCD or Asperger's or autism or any other condition. You're just neat.

Buying way more stuff than you objectively should isn't OCD. OCD is checking the lock on the door seven times before going out to work and then still getting anxious all day about whether or not you locked the door, to a point that it affects your work.

Information on the actual condition is readily available on the internet, I'd advise you to read up on it.

I know what it is as I personally suffer from a mild form of it so I am rather familiar, what you quote are aspects of it but NOT the entire condition and while you are correct a lot of people misquote the condition, it still applies in this case whether you like it or not.

Its the "Compulsion" and the "Obsessiveness" that degrades the ability to resist that are relevant here.

And thank you for the condescending advice on reading-up however my son is Autistic Ive spent 7 years reading up on it as well as academically studying it and associated conditions. Just because you didn't like my post it does not make its content invalid.

Yes you are right many people are just irresponsible with money and some make excuses for that, but that doesnt take away from the fact the blind-buy-random in these or similar cases can still take advantage of OCD or make it difficult, thats all I was highlighting.

Edit: Apologies is this post comes over as too aggressive, Its just I get quite upset if it appears such conditions as these are played down. Having a personal stake in it can do that. Lets put it aside and not pursue the issue but agree to disagree.

Edited by alexbobspoons

I know what it is as I personally suffer from a mild form of it so I am rather familiar, what you quote are aspects of it but NOT the entire condition and while you are correct a lot of people misquote the condition, it still applies in this case whether you like it or not.

Its the "Compulsion" and the "Obsessiveness" that degrades the ability to resist that are relevant here.

And thank you for the condescending advice on reading-up however my son is Autistic Ive spent 7 years reading up on it as well as academically studying it and associated conditions. Just because you didn't like my post it does not make its content invalid.

Yes you are right many people are just irresponsible with money and some make excuses for that, but that doesnt take away from the fact the blind-buy-random in these or similar cases can still take advantage of OCD or make it difficult, thats all I was highlighting.

Edit: Apologies is this post comes over as too aggressive, Its just I get quite upset if it appears such conditions as these are played down. Having a personal stake in it can do that. Lets put it aside and not pursue the issue but agree to disagree.

My brother has bad OCD and I have autism. I can safely say that obsessive buying in order to complete something is a symptom of OCD (though not the only symptom).

@Don- Please be more considerate with your posts.

The point is that the person who has OCD should seek treatment...not get upset at a company for selling a product that triggers their particular OCD symptoms. That's like a video game addict saying that video game companies are bad because they sell something that they're addicted to.

A close family member of mine has moderate/severe OCD. While his symptoms don't include this type of completionism, I can TOTALLY see how this could be a problem for someone with OCD. But the answer is for the person with OCD to steer clear of this type of game.

Lets put it this way:

So yeah, bad pricing.

Well Dicemasters is 2 dice and 2 cards and its 0.99 $. Granted the dice of dicemasters and this are different but both are costum dice. Since both are mass produced i doubt there is such a high price difference.

The dice are quite small maybe about a centimeter across on each facing. They are also fairly irregular. The emblems are very small, sometimes making it hard to tell what they are. They are also prone to be missing paint in various facings.

The cards are cheap plastic feeling card stock. They repeat artwork between rarities. So every Iron Man in a set is the same art.

Also because the packaging and card stock is so cheap the cards are frequently curled up, if not creased and bent.

Also Wiz-kids does not spend money in development playtesting their products.

Dicemasters is cheap because it contains very low quality components.

Edited by ScottieATF

The point is that the person who has OCD should seek treatment...not get upset at a company for selling a product that triggers their particular OCD symptoms. That's like a video game addict saying that video game companies are bad because they sell something that they're addicted to.

A close family member of mine has moderate/severe OCD. While his symptoms don't include this type of completionism, I can TOTALLY see how this could be a problem for someone with OCD. But the answer is for the person with OCD to steer clear of this type of game.

Agreed yes. I did have counselling for a year and have been considerably better as a result and nowhere near the extent I used to be, which is why I will stay clear of it rather than as its not fixed-distribution, just as you suggest, but as the game does actually look pretty good to me, that does leave me disappointed and I guess its that disappointment that leads to opinion posting.

Edited for my bizarre phrasing that re-reading didn't quite make sense to what I meant.

Edited by alexbobspoons

Agreed yes. I did have councelling for a year and have been considerably better as a result and nowhere near the extent I used to be, which is why I will stay clear of it rather than fixed-distribution, just as you suggest, but as the game does actually look pretty good to me, that does leave me disappointed and I guess its that disappointment that leads to opinion posting.

Obviously you need to know what you can handle as a person, but I would suggest that drafting might be a viable option. There's no need to collect because you have to play with what you get right then and there.

Lets put it this way:

So yeah, bad pricing.

Have you ever seen the Dice Master components?

The dice are quite small maybe about a centimeter across on each facing. They are also fairly irregular. The emblems are very small, sometimes making it hard to tell what they are. They are also prone to be missing paint in various facings.

The cards are cheap plastic feeling card stock. They repeat artwork between rarities. So every Iron Man in a set is the same art.

Also because the packaging and card stock is so cheap the cards are frequently curled up, if not creased and bent.

Also Wiz-kids does not spend money in development playtesting their products.

Dicemasters is cheap because it contains very low quality components.

Yes i have seen Dicemasters components because i own the Turtles set. Thats the only set i own because i did not want to get into the collectible part of the game.

The dice are of good quality and the card stock is decent. Not the same quality as Magic but not as cheap as you say it is.

I agree that different artwork for the differnet rarities would be better but i don't mind it as lond as the artwork is good.

From watching some Youtube videos i would agree that the booster packaging is not good. and that curved cards are a problem. And i would be afraid that this could happen here as well.

I have faith in FFG that they will deliver very good components.

Yes i have seen Dicemasters components because i own the Turtles set. Thats the only set i own because i did not want to get into the collectible part of the game.

The dice are of good quality and the card stock is decent. Not the same quality as Magic but not as cheap as you say it is.

I agree that different artwork for the differnet rarities would be better but i don't mind it as lond as the artwork is good.

From watching some Youtube videos i would agree that the booster packaging is not good. and that curved cards are a problem. And i would be afraid that this could happen here as well.

Just adding my two cents aswell:

FFG should be able to do good quality dice (altough now i wanna test that "scratch resistant layer" on the first die that can be missed)

About DM: Cards being warped, bend back ok, just stick 'em in a binder for a while. (Thye are not black lotuses people!)

Also interesting to note: the cards from the D&D sets are noticably of better card stock.

The on ething I can fault DM with is that sometimes you will get indentations that are not filled in completly so it makes certain small numbers hard to read, but that happens only rarily.

I'm sorry if any of you guys found any of my opinions/observations inconsiderate. Any and all of you that are, or have loved ones, suffering from diagnosed mental (or physical, for that matter) disorders or disabilities have my sincerest sympathy.

HOWEVER

I find a line of argumentation that FFG is releasing Star Wars: Destiny in order to purposefully target the 2-8% of the populace suffering from specific mental disorders and swindle them out of their cash, presumably with some moustache-twirling action from Christian Petersen thrown into the mix, to be, quite frankly, absurd and ridiculous, and I will not refrain from calling it that, however inconsiderate you will call me in return.

FFG should be able to do good quality dice (altough now i wanna test that "scratch resistant layer" on the first die that can be missed)

About DM: Cards being warped, bend back ok, just stick 'em in a binder for a while. (Thye are not black lotuses people!)

Also interesting to note: the cards from the D&D sets are noticably of better card stock.

The on ething I can fault DM with is that sometimes you will get indentations that are not filled in completly so it makes certain small numbers hard to read, but that happens only rarily.

I have only been in on Dice Masters for the very first set (though I did manage to collect the full set, Super Rares and all, before selling the entire lot when the game got stale for my taste), so that might have changed for the better in more recent sets, but I remember it actually being hard to find a die that had all six sides perfectly etched and perfectly filled in. I had entire tackleboxes of spares and never managed to find a dice playset for a character that wouldn't have at least one die with a manufacturing defect of some description.

I also remember the cards not only coming bent in the packaging, but sometimes coming stuck together in the booster packs and the ink coming off of them during separation. And while you're right that these aren't 27,000$ Black Lotuses, I just checked the one particularly good Super Rare from that first set and it still goes for 50-60$ on eBay, which is not an insignificant amount for a playing card.

Given FFGs track record I have absolutely no doubt that Destiny will have superior component quality on both the card and dice front, and as such I feel the higher booster pack price point is completely justified.

I did not intend to imply that they intended specifically to take advantage of such things and I dont believe that I did! I said that this format does take advantage of it but there is no implication of "targetting" in anything I said, that level of *spin* is quite frankly "absurd and ridiculous" and twisting what I posted.

Have FFG specifically intended to take advantage of OCD? No I dont think so at all, but DOES this format still take advantage? Yes as a consequence of its design it does.

I am merely stating a concern / factor that does arise from this sales method that I personally dont like, that is relevant to the discussion of the magnitude of expense of this product for *some* people, which is what this thread is/was about.

I have only been in on Dice Masters for the very first set (though I did manage to collect the full set, Super Rares and all, before selling the entire lot when the game got stale for my taste), so that might have changed for the better in more recent sets, but I remember it actually being hard to find a die that had all six sides perfectly etched and perfectly filled in. I had entire tackleboxes of spares and never managed to find a dice playset for a character that wouldn't have at least one die with a manufacturing defect of some description.

I also remember the cards not only coming bent in the packaging, but sometimes coming stuck together in the booster packs and the ink coming off of them during separation. And while you're right that these aren't 27,000$ Black Lotuses, I just checked the one particularly good Super Rare from that first set and it still goes for 50-60$ on eBay, which is not an insignificant amount for a playing card.

Given FFGs track record I have absolutely no doubt that Destiny will have superior component quality on both the card and dice front, and as such I feel the higher booster pack price point is completely justified.

Yeah, I'll admit some dice (hulk, magneto) were "painted" badly. (think I got 2 good hulks out of 7) and tey got better in later sets. And I can only agree with you about the stuck cards, that should never happen. But hey what do you expect? They get churned out in some hasitly built factories in china. And for some reasont uncanny x-men, Ant Man dice have sharper edges so (In theory) I could identify them by touch, and that's bad. But all in all: They are a dollar for two dice (and cards) A Buck! Can you even get a cheeseburger at mcdonalds for a buck?

With 3 dollars a pack you are moving closer to the MTG range. (Wich has foils that warp all the time.)

But I'm sure FFG wil deliver quality.

Agreed yes. I did have councelling for a year and have been considerably better as a result and nowhere near the extent I used to be, which is why I will stay clear of it rather than fixed-distribution, just as you suggest, but as the game does actually look pretty good to me, that does leave me disappointed and I guess its that disappointment that leads to opinion posting.

Obviously you need to know what you can handle as a person, but I would suggest that drafting might be a viable option. There's no need to collect because you have to play with what you get right then and there.

Yeah, but if I wanted to play a drafting game, Ashes or Epic Cube Draft are much better.

DM only costs a dollar, a certain degree of lower quality in the components is completely acceptable at that price point. A product can be of cheaper quality but still good value if it is priced low enough.

Presumably Destiny is going to have higher quality components and you'd also expect packaging so you'd expect a higher price.

Now here's the thing while a lower quality product can have good value, there can be oppurtunity costs that need to be weighed. I can get a thing of french fries from McDonalds for like 2 bucks, or I can go a few blocks from my apartment and get duck fat frittes for 15. The McDonalds fries may be great 2 dollar fries, but if I'm going to clog my arteries it's going to be with the nicer product.

If I'm going to spend my free time gaming it's going to be with a nicer game then DM, though DM is the only Wiz-kids product that I think has good value.

Yeah, but if I wanted to play a drafting game, Ashes or Epic Cube Draft are much better.

So you played Destiny already?

I can tell from the page that the entire game is just one glorified Runebound combat. Which makes sense, seeing as they are the same designer.

I am a huge Star Wars fan and I've played tons of different card games (mostly online), including M:TG. I always wanted to get into LCG but for some reason never did, probably partly because I love the collectible aspect of card games. Can't wait for Destiny!

I can tell from the page that the entire game is just one glorified Runebound combat. Which makes sense, seeing as they are the same designer.

I wish I could figure out all the mechanics of a game from pictures of half a dozen cards with little context.

No really, I do. Would make it easier to make my mind up about getting Destiny, as it is now I have to wait for GenCon demo reports like all the rest of us regular boring people without mind-reading superpowers.

I wish I could figure out all the mechanics of a game from pictures of half a dozen cards with little context.

No really, I do. Would make it easier to make my mind up about getting Destiny, as it is now I have to wait for GenCon demo reports like all the rest of us regular boring people without mind-reading superpowers.

No honestly, read the runebound combat rules, then look at the dice. Then look back. I couldn't tell you the turn structure, but I can tell you pretty much what is done in the game. It doesn't take superpowers, just a little brainpower and some imagination.

Better is always subjective in this instance.

Ashes has a great game, I just wish I could play more often than I do. It's drafting mechanic has been built into the game and as such dovetails very nicely with the game overall. You probably could borrow the mechanics of how it is done for other games. I do think it may lend itself to a LCG where card sets are more even, but it could be worked into a game with more uneven card distribution by having single copies of Rare and Uncommon Cards count as a draft choice and sets of 3 Common Cards count as a choice.