Expensive - what does that mean?

By Richard_Thomas_, in Star Wars: Destiny

The point is that the person who has OCD should seek treatment...not get upset at a company for selling a product that triggers their particular OCD symptoms. That's like a video game addict saying that video game companies are bad because they sell something that they're addicted to.

A close family member of mine has moderate/severe OCD. While his symptoms don't include this type of completionism, I can TOTALLY see how this could be a problem for someone with OCD. But the answer is for the person with OCD to steer clear of this type of game.

Agreed yes. I did have councelling for a year and have been considerably better as a result and nowhere near the extent I used to be, which is why I will stay clear of it rather than fixed-distribution, just as you suggest, but as the game does actually look pretty good to me, that does leave me disappointed and I guess its that disappointment that leads to opinion posting.

Obviously you need to know what you can handle as a person, but I would suggest that drafting might be a viable option. There's no need to collect because you have to play with what you get right then and there.
Yeah, but if I wanted to play a drafting game, Ashes or Epic Cube Draft are much better.

So you played Destiny already?

I can tell from the page that the entire game is just one glorified Runebound combat. Which makes sense, seeing as they are the same designer.

I wish I could figure out all the mechanics of a game from pictures of half a dozen cards with little context.

No really, I do. Would make it easier to make my mind up about getting Destiny, as it is now I have to wait for GenCon demo reports like all the rest of us regular boring people without mind-reading superpowers.

No honestly, read the runebound combat rules, then look at the dice. Then look back. I couldn't tell you the turn structure, but I can tell you pretty much what is done in the game. It doesn't take superpowers, just a little brainpower and some imagination.

I'll give you that I can imagine it to use a similar IGO UGO action activation sequence if I make a bunch of assumptions. Even then, that still tells me nothing about the way resource management works (or even whether or not there is any), if there are any dice purchasing/fielding mechanics, how many decision points are there during the game, how card play out of the 30-card deck works, what is the dice roll/re-roll framework, how the battlefield mechanic works, whether or not you can recycle used/killed cards/dice/characters, what are the deck/dicepool building considerations or virtually anything about the game other than the assumption of "you take turns to activate symbols on dice you rolled".

It's like saying Twilight Imperium is a glorified Axis & Allies combat system because it has units on the map that roll dice looking for high numbers when they fight.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

Sorry, mistake double post.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

May I add, expensive is always subjective too.

I have Star Wars Armada and it is one of the cheapest games I have bought as I play 1-3 games almost every weekend. On the other hand I have a miniatures game that my friends and I bought into and I have yet to play a single game, that I would say is my most expensive game I have bought.

Yeah :) My little brother does downhill biking, I do competitive MTG. He definitely outspends me on the year :D

Adult hobbies suck!

Edited by IsawaChuckles

I'll give you that I can imagine it to use a similar IGO UGO action activation sequence if I make a bunch of assumptions. Even then, that still tells me nothing about the way resource management works (or even whether or not there is any), if there are any dice purchasing/fielding mechanics, how many decision points are there during the game, how card play out of the 30-card deck works, what is the dice roll/re-roll framework, how the battlefield mechanic works, whether or not you can recycle used/killed cards/dice/characters, what are the deck/dicepool building considerations or virtually anything about the game other than the assumption of "you take turns to activate symbols on dice you rolled".

It's like saying Twilight Imperium is a glorified Axis & Allies combat system because it has units on the map that roll dice looking for high numbers when they fight.

Actually if you do read the articles and ponder over them a lot of those things are answered.

You "deck" consists of three parts. Starting characters that total no more than likely 30 points. Characters can have 1 or two dice and that number effects their point cost. The second part of you deck is up to 30 support cards (events, weapons, abilities, ships, etc) some of which come with their own dice, some do not. All cards that get played either as the starting characters or support cards get the dice you've assigned (support cards only require one die). The last is a battlefield card.

After starting player is determined (could be roll, lowest starting points, some other method) players proceed in a IGO UGO method of taking actions. The actions are as follows:

- Tap a card to roll all of it's dice and any support cards attached to it

- Spend a number of dice of like symbols to generate their effect, options are (spent dice are placed back on their respective card):

- Deal Melee Damage to an opponent

- Deal Ranged Damage to an opponent

- Add shields to a character

- Generate resource tokens

- Cause opponent to discard resources (Disrupt)

- Cause opponent to discard cards (Discard)

- Change other dice to side of your choice (Focus)

- Use special ability of card

- Use an action of a ready card

- Spend Resources to pay the cost of a card in your hand

- Discard a card to reroll any number of dice

- Take the battlefield and use it's Claim ability (forces pass afterword)

- Pass

When both players pass the round is over.

At the beginning of the turn, all cards are untapped, play starts with the person who claimed the battlefield in the last round. Cards are likely drawn up at this time (unsure of had size). Several card effects allow reclaiming/playing cards out of the discard. Certain cards are unique which likely just means only allowing a single card in play, not a single card in the deck.

Now, to the scope of all the cards in the initial set or deep in depth strategies I have no idea. We've only seen partial detail of some 48 cards out of 170. Am I absolutely correct about what I've stated, likely not, but I'd give myself about 70% accuracy.

Edited by Aahzmandius_Karrde

I'm thinking that ranged damage gets dealt first, and then melee damage.

Edited by Robin Graves

Nothing we've seen so far suggests a "combat phase" that would be the setup for that scenario. The difference between Melee and Ranged is likely just what combination of M/R you can bring to the table and whether certain characters/events/etc can mitigate certain types of damage.

Edited by Aahzmandius_Karrde

I don't think so, Robin, otherwise no one will use pure melee fighters. It'd be a case of broken balance since day 0

I think it'll be more like "give +2 Melee" or "give +2 ranged" on support cards so you'd want to give Rey her staff or something because it works better for her since she's all about melee. And perhaps there will be some event cards that prevent only melee damage and some that prevent only ranged damage, etc.

I don't think so, Robin, otherwise no one will use pure melee fighters. It'd be a case of broken balance since day 0

Yeah you are right, I was thinking of other games and along the lines of "first strike" damage (maybe melee would deal more), but in hindsight that doesn't work.