If I Ruled The World...

By Rockstar2, in UFS General Discussion

Okay, so one of my favorite Thread Starters way back from the STG days was day dreaming the answer to the question: "If i beat the game (like Hata), what would my character card look like?" And, the former scout at my game store had a great format called Thuggin' and Buggin' (apparently from Raw Deal?), where we all designed our own character card (with his help, of course) and played in a short-run league using the current block's support cards.

This was a couple years ago, and my original character looked like this:

6/6 *Iari Melchor* 6hs 24vp +0m

Air - All - Evil

R: Discard 1 momentum: After you play a block without a Breaker, that block gets Breaker: X , X equals your momentum.

E: Commit: Draw X Cards. X equals the total of all block modifiers in your card pool. Only playable on your opponent's turn.

Not sure if you could tell it, but i was and am a huge Terry Bogard fan. Burning Knuckle is perhaps my favorite attack in this game. Ever.

That said...

Since entering NewFS, i think i've found the play-style that i excel at: Aggro (with some tech). Now, I'm not sure what i'd want my character card to look like or read like, but i'd definitely want to bring some Hyper Aggro-sauce to the game. In fact, given the right symbol spread and abilities, i certainly wouldn't mind being a 7hs 18vp character. When i think of some interesting tech, i will holler back.

In the meantime, feel free to post away. It'd be great to see what people come up with.

You are correct on the thuggin and buggin coming from raw deal. It was one of my favorite ways of playing the game back in the day.

Your most comfortable playstyle in NewFS is aggro and you'd like to bring aggro crazysauce to the game?

Talk about two of the most redundant statements evar

XD

I like your character, very defensive, and in this block, could prove somewhat deadly, I'm thinkin off Air or All.

So what exactly is the thread's question? What would your character function like?

I've had lots of different thoughts. I remember one of my original thoughts was to make it the most confusing, weird, and intellectual character ever made, but then I realized, um, this is UFS, and things that are weirded too oddly (Chicanery) don't really work out in the long run.

I've always been a fan of reversals, but truthfully, I'd have to design my character to not just be universal, but to do something that few champion characters do: interract with support. It seems like most champions want their character to be as universal and well-rounded as possible, which is a great philosophy, but sometimes it leads for hard times trying to find a niche, especially since all that it means is that characters can abuse their support better than one's own champion card.

I'd probably want my character to be 6HS 27V, one of my favorite ratios since **Maxi**. I'd have to have Good and Water for sure, and as for the third symbol, it's a tie between All, Earth, and Order, with the most likely one being Earth.

Although I'd like some form of aggressive ability (be it commit, damage output, whatever), I'd want to be more of an anti-meta/counter-aggro character. Probably a combination of *Yoshitora*, Siegfried*, and Lu Chen** to an extent.

7hs

20 vitality

Earth order water

E: if this nonthrow attack deals damage draw 2 cards

R: After an effect would let you draw cards, draw none, instead the next attack this turn gets +x or minus x damage

Mordai said:

7hs

20 vitality

Earth order water

E: if this nonthrow attack deals damage draw 2 cards

R: After an effect would let you draw cards, draw none, instead the next attack this turn gets +x or minus x damage

Wow, that'd be stupid I think :P

The `this` attack` should be changed to `your attack`.

As for me i've always been a fan of one shot kills and looping, OR making extremly long card pools (as you may rememeber I LOVE Ivy's style and have tried to make her competitive since release, to no avail.)

So my rough character would look like this:

6 Diff *Daniel Oulds* +0 mid block

7Hs 19V

Air, Earth, Life

E: If your attack deals damage, add it to the bottom of your deck, draw 1 card.

R: After you add a card to the bottom of your deck, discard 2 cards and then add the bottom card of your deck to your hand.

:D

-Dan

Mine Would be Something like:

7HS
20 Health

Void/Water/Good

F Commit: Add one Foundation in your Card Pool to your staging area Ready.

F Discard 1 card: Ready this card. Playable while commited.

That would be fun

Bloodruns true.. your char would be worse than Hanzo kick me thinks o_O draw 3-4 attacks on your killturn then you can spam until they die basicly..

and my char? -2 +2 maximum? or did you see something else that could get stupid? :o

My playgroup at one time had me and another guy making some different decks. Not just the character but entire 60 card decks with photo shop them print them out on photo paper. He was really into One Piece and so he made some characters from there, and I decided it would be interesting to make a gambling deck that had effects based on rolls of the die that could be really good or actually hurt you and any where in between.

The gambling deck was really terrible because of so much inconsistancy, but it was really fun at the same time.

Itallian Stallion 7HS 20VIT

Chaos Death Void (3 favorite symbols atm, but depending no future sets i would possibly change the symbol spread)

While this card is committed, cards that would be added to a player's momentum would be added during the end phase instead.

R, Discard 1 card: Before you play a block, change its zone to any other zone

R, Destroy 1 foundation: After you take damage, add a foundation or asset from your hand to your staging area ready.

Smazzurco said:

Itallian Stallion 7HS 20VIT

Chaos Death Void (3 favorite symbols atm, but depending no future sets i would possibly change the symbol spread)

While this card is committed, cards that would be added to a player's momentum would be added during the end phase instead.

R, Discard 1 card: Before you play a block, change its zone to any other zone

R, Destroy 1 foundation: After you take damage, add a foundation or asset from your hand to your staging area ready.

Chaos Death Void

6HS 27Vit

While this card is committed, cards that would be added to a player's momentum during the combat phase would be added during the end phase instead.

E Discard 1 card or commit this card: If you attempt to block this attack, change your block zone to any other zone. Only playable on your opponent's attack. Playable while committed.

R Destroy 1 foundation: After your opponent's unblocked attack deals damage, add a foundation or asset from your hand to your staging area ready.

-o-o-o-o-

This lets it do his ability for free once, because with 3 cards in hand for example, you'll only be able to play it once the way it was worded. Also it gives you a way to commit the character in their turn in the form of an E.

Whis is important when you have a character who may not always want his ability to work, but you want access to be easy enough just in case.

This is what I would do for mine.

6HS 24Vit
Life/Good/Water

R: Whenever one of your opponent's card abilities could be played (as if you controlled that card), you may play that ability once as though it were printed on this card. Only playable once per turn.

R Discard 1 momentum: After you block an attack, reveal your hand. If you do not reveal any blocks or attacks from your hand, choose any attack from your opponent's discard pile. It gains a resource symbol of your choice. Play it as a Reversal, following all restrictions. If it deals damage, search your opponent's deck for a copy of that card and remove it from the game and return your opponent's attack to their card pool face down. Playable while committed.

Bustedsauce? Maybe. But 24 vitality is tough for a 6HS character with only some Good card draw...

It's funny that you should mention this, because I've been meaning to ask people for help designing my character card for having won UK Nationals in September, as I'm really struggling to think of ideas that would work and not be too powerful. So why not ask for help where I know people play and could help?

All I know is that I want the following:

.Joe Hill.

7/18

Good/Order/Life

And that the abilities need to encourage blocking weak attacks while still keeping the fear that a bigger one might be coming at any time, like Donovan who drew off his smaller attacks before killing with a bigger one, or Xianghua, who gets foundations added to her staging area if nothing is done to stop her weaker attacks. I was thinking of something along the lines of...

E: If your attack deals damage, your next attack this turn gets +x speed. X equals 5 minus the damage your attack dealt.

Looking at the current meta, this means that I could be run in an Ivy/Christie style, with a smaller boost from 3 damage attacks off Life. Or I could go the Order route and use Pommel Smash to push into something much bigger. Or off Good, I could use something like Flash Needle to save all the speed up for one big, but difficult attack after that. This first ability reminds me of both Donovan:. and a favourite of mine who I felt was very underplayed: Cassandra::

For a second ability, I was unsure of what I could use. I'm pretty sure draw power is a nogo considering my handsize and the Order resource giving me a lot to have anyway, but I would have liked to have had some sort of drawing ability. If not that, then a card pool clearing or readying ability would be really appealing, as they would remind me of my two favourite characters: Xianghua:. and Donovan:., however, this is where I struggle to figure out a decent level of balance without breaking the character or turning it awful. Having a character like Donovan:. would be ridiculous in this format, I'm aware. But I like the way he and Xianghua got something out of playing a non-attack to cause something else to happen before you might start your attack string. This is where I need help most. I need ideas for something I can get out of playing a non-attack (i.e. R: After you play a non-attack...). This would be very much appreciated, and I thought it might help to get a nice discussion going at the same time :D .

Viewtiful_Joe said:

It's funny that you should mention this, because I've been meaning to ask people for help designing my character card for having won UK Nationals in September, as I'm really struggling to think of ideas that would work and not be too powerful. So why not ask for help where I know people play and could help?

.Joe Hill.

7/18

Good/Order/Life

And that the abilities need to encourage blocking weak attacks while still keeping the fear that a bigger one might be coming at any time, like Donovan who drew off his smaller attacks before killing with a bigger one, or Xianghua, who gets foundations added to her staging area if nothing is done to stop her weaker attacks. I was thinking of something along the lines of...

E: If your attack deals damage, your next attack this turn gets +x speed. X equals 5 minus the damage your attack dealt.

Looking at the current meta, this means that I could be run in an Ivy/Christie style, with a smaller boost from 3 damage attacks off Life. Or I could go the Order route and use Pommel Smash to push into something much bigger. Or off Good, I could use something like Flash Needle to save all the speed up for one big, but difficult attack after that. This first ability reminds me of both Donovan:. and a favourite of mine who I felt was very underplayed: Cassandra::

For a second ability, I was unsure of what I could use. I'm pretty sure draw power is a nogo considering my handsize and the Order resource giving me a lot to have anyway, but I would have liked to have had some sort of drawing ability. If not that, then a card pool clearing or readying ability would be really appealing, as they would remind me of my two favourite characters: Xianghua:. and Donovan:., however, this is where I struggle to figure out a decent level of balance without breaking the character or turning it awful. Having a character like Donovan:. would be ridiculous in this format, I'm aware. But I like the way he and Xianghua got something out of playing a non-attack to cause something else to happen before you might start your attack string. This is where I need help most. I need ideas for something I can get out of playing a non-attack (i.e. R: After you play a non-attack...). This would be very much appreciated, and I thought it might help to get a nice discussion going at the same time :D .

Maybe something along the lines of R: After your non-blocked attack deals damage, clear it from your cardpool or R: After your attack is blocked, clear it from your cardpool (2nd one would cause your partially blocked attacks to deal no dmg i think, may be a way to balance it, or may gimp u, not sure, lol.)

David "Cult Killer" Flores
6hs 28vitality Death/Void/Water

First F: Look at the top 3 cards of your deck, then replace them in any order.

E: If your attack deals damage, your opponent discards 1 card at random from their hand.

I'm a HUGE fan of control, discard being my favorite. Death/Void/Water are my three favorite symbols, so ths is the perfect character to reflect myself. Which, IMO, is what a player-made character card should do.

This was something I thought of back during the end of block 2 (during the days of Chain Throw, Absurd, etc).

6 Hand Size
28 Vitality
[Fire (I think or maybe All?)] [Order] [Void]
While this card is ready card effects played by both players have + changed to -, - changed to +, any vitality gain is vitality loss, and vitality loss is vitality gain. Also while this card is ready any cards for both players that refer to "your attack" are changed to "this attack".
F: Commit or ready this card. Playable while commited, and playable by either player.

That may have not been everything, I can't really remember. But that was the main parts of it.

lol JDub you probably didn't intend for this but your character is basically Shinobi Tradition with that Form.

I had a fun idea way back, something like

Tagrineth* 5 difficulty, 6 control, +1 mid block

4/34

All/Death/Life

For every character in either staging area, this character gets +1 hand size and -4 maximum vitality (to a minimum of 18 maximum vitality).

F Discard 1 character from your staging area: Draw 2 cards, then gain 4 vitality.

R Discard 1 card: After you block with a character card that has the same name as this card, add that character card to your staging area.

A deal with satan/suspicious allignement of the planets

infinity/infinity/infinity

0 diff/ 9001 cc

F commit:

you get a physical existing shop that can actually order stuff. By physical, we do meant a public place where you can walk in during the said opening hours, spot actual desired product, buy it and the walk off. bonus points if you can get said events.(require an unreleased promo; but meant to never be printed)

F commit:

save your playgroup for 1 more week. only playable if you played the other Form on this card this life.

Viewtiful_Joe said:

.Joe Hill.

7/18

Good/Order/Life

Joe Hill*
7HS 18V
Good/Life/Order

As long as this character has 9 vitality or less, your control checks to play abilities get +1.

E (+4): If your attack with a printed damage of 4 or less is not blocked, then it does not count towards progressive difficulty for the rest of the turn. You may not draw or add any number of cards to your hand for the rest of this Combat Phase.

R Destroy 1 foundation (+5): After you play a non-attack card, reveal the top X cards of your deck. Add any number of attacks with a printed damage of 4 or less to your hand and discard the rest. X equals the number of attacks in your card pool with a printed damage of 4 or less. Only playable once per turn.

Ho **** son, did I just balance Donovan for you in a completely fun and fair way? ;D

What is interesting to me is how many players, should they ever have the option, would want their characters to have 7hs. Interesting, because the format, as it currently stands, really favors 6hs characters.

For my part, i think i'd want my "new" character card to emphasize and enable a viable weenie-rush. Some of my favorite characters in SF, Tekken, and even Soul Cal are weenie-rush types: Fei Long, Law, and Maxi...oh, btw, did i ever mention how much of a fan of Bruce Lee/Jeet Kune Do i am? gran_risa.gif

That said, i think to make weenie-rush viable, the abilities need to be consequence type effects. Like, maybe...

7hs 18vp

Air - All - Life

" R Commit 1 foundation: After your attack with printed damage 3 or less deals damage, discard it from your cardpool and draw 1 card."

Something that pressures opponents to block, but doesn't limit attacks from having their damage pumped; 4.Fei Long could've been so much better had his ability said "PRINTED damage", and not just "3 damage". This ability also balances by being self-limiting: eventually, the character would run out of foundations to commit.

That said, game design isn't my strong suit by any means.

Still, thoughts? Suggestions? Any suggestions on what ability might compliment the first one? I'm open, and this is all just for fun anyway...

RockStar said:

What is interesting to me is how many players, should they ever have the option, would want their characters to have 7hs. Interesting, because the format, as it currently stands, really favors 6hs characters.

I'd want a 5HS.

I'm fond of:

Your hand size, vitality and abilities are the same as your opponent.

Whenever your opponent draws any number of cards due to a card effect or cost you draw the same number of cards

Whenever your opponent discards any number of cards due to a card effect or cost you must discard the same number of cards

Your opponent plays with his hand revealed

While this card is committed all numbers printed on all cards are increased by +1

While this card is ready all numbers printed on all cards are -1

Homme Chapeau said:

RockStar said:

I'd want a 5HS.

Not in James Hata's game.

Mine would probably have to be something like.

7HS, 20health

chaos,wind,death

E: Your attack gets +1 damage.

F: Add the top 3 cards of your deck to your momentom. You may not play eny more forms for the rest of the term.

but that last one may be a bit good in as momentom generation is not what it us to be.

Ive also been thinking about what my character card would look like as ive always been a very avid aggro player so this is what i think i want my character card to look like and i think its a big possibility that its balanced...someone let me know if it is or not....

7hs 20Vit

Air, Evil, Order

R: After you make a control check, add one foundation from your staging area to your hand, that control check gets +2

E Commit 1 Foundation: Your attack gets +x Damage where x is the number of cards added to your hand from your staging area this combat phase

The first ability might have to be ready foundation for it to be a little more balanced but i like it the way it is

MarcoPulleaux said:

Homme Chapeau said:

RockStar said:

I'd want a 5HS.

It's not James Hata's game anymore.

Homme Chapeau said:

MarcoPulleaux said:

Homme Chapeau said:

RockStar said:

I'd want a 5HS.

It's not James Hata's game anymore.

Yes so make all the 5HS characters you want now :P