What?

By dboeren1, in Star Wars: Destiny

Dicemaster fan here, so I see what FFG was going for, but this looks like a lesser version of Dicemaster. The artwork is ok and I can even handle the blind pack nature, but stickered dice never ever belong in a gamer-level game.

It really makes me wonder if they had to use a stickered dice look to avoid some type of copyright WizKids has on their Dicemaster model.

So they can sell foil replacement stickers?

Try reading the article maybe.

Unlike many games, the dice in Star Wars : Destiny do not use stickers. Instead, the dice are plastic-injected like normal dice and rolled in a tumbler to add a fine, smooth polish to every die. The images on each side are then physically heat-pressed onto the dice, essentially printing the artwork directly onto the plastic. Finally, the die is covered in a scratch-resistant coating, allowing you to roll these dice without their quality deteriorating.

This is the same technique used by Cool Mini or Not for their upcoming KS release of Masmorra Dungeons of Arcadia. I've seen their dice demo'd and they are amazing quality.

I feel like form what I've read the addition of a deck to your team actually makes this a big evolution from dice-masters.

I AM HYPE!

Try reading the article maybe.

Unlike many games, the dice in Star Wars : Destiny do not use stickers. Instead, the dice are plastic-injected like normal dice and rolled in a tumbler to add a fine, smooth polish to every die. The images on each side are then physically heat-pressed onto the dice, essentially printing the artwork directly onto the plastic. Finally, the die is covered in a scratch-resistant coating, allowing you to roll these dice without their quality deteriorating.

Ah nice, at least they put some effort into it, so we get some production value.

Dicemaster fan here, so I see what FFG was going for, but this looks like a lesser version of Dicemaster. The artwork is ok and I can even handle the blind pack nature, but stickered dice never ever belong in a gamer-level game.

It really makes me wonder if they had to use a stickered dice look to avoid some type of copyright WizKids has on their Dicemaster model.

The dice are NOT stickered.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-destiny/

What makes the dice different?

:ph34r:

Edited by Boba Rick

I don't think you can copyright indented dice. (Thank god.)

Now this is entirly my personbal preference but I prefer more squared dice to these rounded shapes.

Sad about blind purchase, I moved to FFG games to avoid that, as much as id want to play this as a dice game, blind buy feels backward and i dont think i can

Sad about blind purchase, I moved to FFG games to avoid that, as much as id want to play this as a dice game, blind buy feels backward and i dont think i can

Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about the fact you only get one die. So if your die sux, then you got a bad pack. But then again you only get one rare card in a magic pack to. and if you played crossmasters arena, or god help you, Monsterpocalypse, you had to pay upwards of 10 bucks for one blind figure!

So I'm wondering: wich sounds better: 5 cards and 1 die for 3, or 10 cards and two dice for 6? (or maybe 5?)

Edited by Robin Graves

I stand corrected. Maybe the dice will work after all.

As for boosters, I'm hoping that even if you get a bad rare (and corresponding die), you may get good other cards.

I like that only the rares and above will have corresponding dice. I really think the deck is going to add a huge element to this game. It also means (I assume) we won't have to hunt out dice to match our cards etc.

I'm excited to learn the team and deckbuilding rules.

Hey at least the name is way better than the LCG. DESTINY!!!! or "the card game"

Yes I'll also be awaiting the release of the rulebook.

So far it seems totaly different from DM. No bag building, and a combination of cards and dice.

rolling dice is fun, star wars is fun, im in

It's FFG, Star Wars, and Lukas. So, I will be obligated to at least give this a look.

This is going to be a dud. The design and artwork just looks bad. And FFG already has like 10 star wars themed games. Come up with something original!

It's Star Wars. It will sell. And most likely, from those just browsing the various card aisles you find in big box stores. It isn't really geared to the same crowd that you will find in the local game shop. It's okay to not be interested in this. But, that doesn't mean this isn't something worth FFG's time.

If this were fixed and the rules seemed fine i would buy it in a heartbeat.

But i won't go back to blind booster game. Been there done that for way too long. Even tho i do miss the sensation of cracking open a booster.

There is a reason why i only picked up the Turtles Dicemasters set or why i got into X-Wing. And that reason is fixed expansions.

i will have to pass on this even if the rules turn out amazing.

Edited by Reaver027

I like that only the rares and above will have corresponding dice. I really think the deck is going to add a huge element to this game. It also means (I assume) we won't have to hunt out dice to match our cards etc.

Right. Each pack comes with 5 cards, including 1 rare or legendary card with the accompanying dice. I was worried you'd have to get lucky and get the die and card in a separate pack which would have ruined this game for me (as if blind-buy hasn't already done that).

But I have to say, as much as my mind is telling me not to buy it, it does look enticingly shiny and new. I may pick up the starter packs just try it out.

I just went through and watched the video a few times - pausing to read some of the cards (Qui-Gon Jinn! Jango Fett! Luke! Finn!) and I have to say there does appear to be some real depth. Luke lets you draw cards, Qui-Gon likes shield tokens, and Finn's text includes a line about deck building. It seems like you pick your team at the beginning and they start in play, then your deck is made up of upgrades (Rey's Staff - which brings a new dice along with it) Events (Adm. Ackbar's "It's a Trap!" is one) and then support cards like BB-8. Cards also come in what looks like one of four colors (Red - Martial people?; Blue - Force Users; Yellow - Rogues?; and gray - seems like droids) and are marked as either Hero, Villain or Neutral.

I haven't figured out exactly what the victory conditions are yet (killing all the opposing characters seems plausible) but otherwise it looks pretty cool!

I AM HYPE!

The game does look to hit the "I'm playing with the heroes of the franchise!" feel of Star Wars a bit better than "I play Luke Skywalker" *13429110339420313 Focus Tokens rain from the heavens and Luke is parked in the alley for the rest of the game*, as was my introduction to the LCG.

Edited by IsawaChuckles

Right. Each pack comes with 5 cards, including 1 rare or legendary card with the accompanying dice. I was worried you'd have to get lucky and get the die and card in a separate pack which would have ruined this game for me (as if blind-buy hasn't already done that).

But I have to say, as much as my mind is telling me not to buy it, it does look enticingly shiny and new. I may pick up the starter packs just try it out.

I've got an evil scheme to see what the game is like if you spend a lot of money on it. Send the starters to my 12 year old cousins as a christmas gift. mwahahahahaha