Familiar and Psychic Reservoir: how does it work with sustaining multiple powers?

By BarbeChenue, in Rogue Trader

Hi !

The Navis Primer has extensive Familiar creation rules, but when I rolled Psychic Reservoir (p.112), I was a bit confused as to how this rule actually applies. (I'll quote it, hopefully it's fair use on this forum.)

Psychic Reservoir: [...] The psyker may sustain up to two powers without suffering a penalty to the effective psy rating of those powers (he still suffers the normal penalties as described on page 158 of the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook for sustaining 3 or more powers).

It's pretty clear what it does if you sustain exactly two powers or less, but I'm unsure what happens at the 3rd power. Does Psychic Reservoir stop doing anything, suffering the "normal penalties [...] for sustaining 3 or more powers", or do "normal penalties" resume *AT* three or more powers? For example, would the 3rd power thus reduce your Psychic Rating by 1 in this case (and the 4th by two, and so forth)?

TL;DR

Does Psychic Reservoir allow you to sustain two powers mostly for free AND start accruing penalties at 3+ sustained powers OR does it stop working entirely beyond two powers sustained?

Edit: And while I'm at it, the errata seems to change the Psy Rating test quite a bit with the "checks 91+ always fail" and the paragraph that says Renegade psykers have the same +5 per PR for Psychic Phenomena (contradicting the table).

Edited by BarbeChenue