How bad is my character?

By Professor Tanhauser, in Deathwatch

No, I don't mean my "character" as in "character reference", I know that's awful. I mean my character for DW. ;)

I'm a writer who has sold some gaming stuff to various companies and been published a few times so I like creativity. So I want a character that's unique and creative while still fitting the game, unlike a certain first time GM's player from Hell who wants to make a character that fits into deathwatch like a skinhead at a bar mitzvah.

So, basically, here's my outline:

His name is Brother Tanhauser, and he is a black shield techmarine. (I know taking a blacksheild has it's ups and down, I read up on it. How he became one is covered.)

He was recruited into the ravenguard and was marked as technicallty apt early on. His background was the fall of voldurius, the one where you come out thinking the white scars aren't so bad after all. He pointed out that the two chapters actually complimented each other between the ravenguard's ability to infiltrate small numbers of elite forces behind enemy lines and launch sudden guerilla warfare attacks there to severely if temporarily disrupt their organization combined with the white scars ability to get very close to enemy lines in larger numbers and suddenly launch a rapid attack while the enemy was still unaware of how badly his forces had been disrupted, and so tey should bury their greivences and co operate more for the good of the imperium.

Needless to say that went over really well with the raven guard, and it was quite fortunate he was transferred to mars to be trained as a tech marine soon thereafter.

As he was transporting to Mars, his home hive on the ravenguard homeworld rose up in rebellion, being seduced into chaos worship and turniung virtually overnight from a nondescript hive of little reputation to a festering mass of warped, insane chaos forces.

The ravenguard annihilated the hive, leaving not a single survivor, then advised the inquisitor that the hive Tanhauser had come from had recently fell to chaos and he was suspected of possibly chaos taint.

at mars he was taken into custody by inquisitor Brooks (I told you I'd make an inquisitor brooks joke somewhere after Mel Brooks' "inquisition" skit...) and examined very thoroughly. Months of arduous probing and testing satisfied inquisitor Brooks that Tanhauser was free of chaos taint. He informed the ravenguard that their young member was pure, and was told by them that if the inquisition deemed him worthy, they could keep him. Tanhauser would not be allowed back into the ravenguard on on it's homeworld.

While the inquisition has a reputaion for being largely unsympathetic, not all members of it are whooly devoid of compassion, and Inquisitor Brooks' one home had fallen to chaos after he was taken from it long ago. He offered the young marine a chance to serve in the deathwatch, which is always willing to welcome a capable marine, especially one already subjected to intense inquisitorial vetting.

As young tanhauser meditated in his cell on what to do, as per Brook's urging, the lights in his room dimmed suddenly. He waited, thinking perhaps it was the emperor's will be be putt o death as a risk and accepting it if it were so. He heard a voice behind him command him in a voice that touched the very cells of his being "Face me, my son."

As he turned in silent awe, he beheld a vision of Corax standing before him, a great raven upon his right shoulder. The apparation reached forward and laid great white hands upon the marine's shoulders and looked into his ebon eyes with his own. "You are a true son of mine, and only your own choice could ever change that. Your destiny and duty lay far outside the chapter, so go forth, shoulder your burden and let the wrong done to you trouble you nevermore."

At this the chamber went pitch black, he heard a flutter of wings and then the lights returned. He was alone in the chamber, save for a single, perfect feather of jet with a blue sheen to it. Brother Tanhauser knelt reverently, gathered up the feather in his hands, and raised the quill to his lips for a moment.

Tanhauser completed his techmarine training in exemplary fashion, achieving a closer connection with the red robed acolyte of the machine god than most tech marines ever do for he had no chapter loyalty to interfere with his acceptance of their ways.

He accepted a role as a black shield and was transferred to the deathwatch fortress Erioch where, despite is relative inexperience he was accepted based on a letter of recommendation from Inquisitor Brooks. He has made his story mostly known to his commander and brothers even tho it is not custom for a black shield to be required to do so. He does not say what chapter or world he was from despite the fact his lineage is written plainly on his face, and his brothers, respectfully, act as though they did not know.

He is a bit unusual in some ways. While his demeanor is studious he behaves in a fairly gregarious manner, vaslty more t[so than most members of the raven guard or techmarines would. Having been betrayed twice, by his home hive and his chapter, Tanhauser perhaps seeks assurance his new comrades will not betray him b seeking to connect with them. Other marines may at times be surprised at his behavior, but his loyalty is quite plain to see,

He seems to have a few quirks. He would appear to hate xenos less than betrayers, and his hatred of betrayers is all but rabid. While normally a calm model of efficiency, he has been known to be particularly harsh towards those guilty of betrayal, sometimes making their last moments longer and more painful that actually necessary. He also has the odd habit of collecting skulls of traitors on occasion, which he often turns into servo skulls. These are often fitted with auspex and commlink units and used as reconnaissance drones. When asked to explain himself in this matter, he simply says that those who commit betrayal in life should be forced to serve loyally in death. Some of his scout skulls have left Erioch as gifts to various inquisitors and other kill teams.

As a black shield he has no chapter solo or squad mode abilities but no primarch curse either; He has chosen to use raven guard defense and attack postures.

Most of his thousand initial points went to forbidden lore Adeptus Mechanicus and security. Since he was training to join deathwatch even as a techmarine trainee on mars he took a field of study useful to the guerilla nature of much deathwatch work.

And of course underneath it all tanhauser is in fact tainted by chaos and just waiting for the day he will betray the DW and sabotage fortress erioch, leaving it helpless before a massive assault by a chaos space marine fleet. Hey, had you going for a second, didn't I? :P

I like it, not sure if you're serious about him being a chaos agent, unless he doesn't realize it, Inquisitor Brooks could be a radical who has fallen to Chaos without anyone knowing, and his vision of Corax was just a Tzeentchian illusion. Then again, I just like Tzeentch. And I may be mistaken, while there is little love between the Raven Guard and White Scars, I had always taken their rivalry as just that, their rivals who try to one-up each other and prove that their methods are the best. It's not like the Salamanders/Marines Malevolent where they outright hate and want to exterminate each other. Or the barely contained visceral hatred between the Ultramarines and their successors vs. the Minotaurs. His comments may have raised a few eyebrows and face palms, but it's nothing that couldn't be fixed by a long sit down and chat, especially if he's still young.

Um I gather the ravenguard and the white scars have some serious hate. Likewise some chapters hate the iron hands for the unforgivable sin, in their opinion, of throwing away the flesh the emperor designed and created for space marines to replace it with machinery. I mean most chapters would agree replacing body parts LOST IN BATTLE is acceptable, if it keeps a marine serving, but to deliberately cut away undamaged body parts of the emperor's design and replace them with machines you designed just stinks of hubris, arrogance and rejection of the emperor's gifts and plan.

Ad I'm joking about the chaos thing. while in real live i'd never want to live in the 40k universe and would stay here instead of going to it, in the frame of the 40k universe i admit the imperium, as uch as i'd hate to live there, is better than chaos. a few folks i know play BH and like to go chaosy, i'm not too big on it.

Edited by Professor Tanhauser

An entire hive being burned seems excessive. A more personal connection could be his old hab-block. His family perhaps all purged.

That even adds some incentive to get tempted by chaos if the offer gets dangled. Not that I'm keen on "secret chaos infiltrator".

Oh, forgot to mention: His chapter trapping is a helm picter. So it's basically a smartphone camera stuck to his helmet. Yeah, laugh it up, but those bonus XP sure can be nice....

An entire hive being burned seems excessive. A more personal connection could be his old hab-block. His family perhaps all purged.

That even adds some incentive to get tempted by chaos if the offer gets dangled. Not that I'm keen on "secret chaos infiltrator".

I was joking... He actually hates betrayel having suffered it twice. He'd likely never turn traitor. Plus that whole personal visit from the primarch thing kinda soothed his feathers....

And his whole hive, albeit a small one, did fall to chaos nearly overnight. Most of the loyalist population was killed In the first few hours before word got out. A night lord had infiltrated the lowest levels and had been working on the hivescum for like a century. He introduced them to slaanesh worship.

I think this is an excellent background that explains why he is in the Deathwatch while giving him a nice backstory that fleshes out his personality and drives.

I don't think that the extermination of an entire Hive world that had fallen to Chaos is too extreme. The Imperium of Man is know for that kind of thing. I read it that it wasn't a cult that seized power, but that the bulk of the population started following the Chaos gods. Open worship, blood sacrifices in the street, demonic manifestations, etc. The Imperium would easily virus-bomb 40 billion people to prevent that mess from spreading.

I like how you've taken elements of the Raven Guard, their rivalry with the white Scars, and wove that into why he was basically given the boot by his chapter. That is possibly the best use of the Black Shield background that I have heard in Deathwatch. I particularly appreciate that even though he's a Black Shield, everyone knows he came from the Raven Guard, but out of courtesy the do not mention it.

One question, how would he react when he meets another Raven Guard, and how would they react to him?

I was joking... He actually hates betrayel having suffered it twice. He'd likely never turn traitor. Plus that whole personal visit from the primarch thing kinda soothed his feathers....

And his whole hive, albeit a small one, did fall to chaos nearly overnight. Most of the loyalist population was killed In the first few hours before word got out. A night lord had infiltrated the lowest levels and had been working on the hivescum for like a century. He introduced them to slaanesh worship.

Ah gotcha! I missed that. ;)

Yeah sounds like an interesting character. Some who aren't in the know might wonder if he's from a raven guard successor chapter or some mutated chapter of another lineage.

And his meeting ive, albeit a small one, did fall to chaos nearly overnight. Most of the loyalist population was killed In the first few hours before word got out. A night lord had infiltrated the lowest levels and had been working on the hivescum for like a century. He introduced them to slaanesh worship.

Yeah sounds like an interesting character. Some who aren't in the know might wonder if he's from a raven guard successor chapter or some mutated chapter of another lineage.

You didn't miss it I was just clarifying. It was just one fairly small hive, barely a hive more like a modern big city. Maybe like 12 million people on a modest island. The thing was this happened on a space marine world so it was a big xxxxing deal to the ravenguard. Like a loss of face to them. That's part of the reason they went dalek on the place. They also didn't want him as a reminder. For more background, a night lord had fallen out of favor with his bro's and got locked out of the frat house until he redeemed himself. Stirring up even a small chaos revolt on a loyalist chapter home world and getting back with the story was enough to get him back in the club.

As to meeting another blackbird, meh. He'd do his duty and work with them, but not make any effort to get back with them. He's deathwatch thru and thru. About all I miss is that solo ability of theirs but he can live without it. Besides, how many "true" raven guard have been visited and gifted by Corax himself? He does feel a little betrayed by the chapter but he's not letting it bother him.

And yes, it occurred to me that it's not possible for some marines to hide their lineage, like raven guard, salamders, death specters, space wolves (the fleas give them away every time.) So the DW has to maintain a certain code about respecting a black shield even if his chapter is pretty much written on his face..

Most people agree he sure doesn't act like a normal raven guard and generally prefer him that way. And you know that whole "curse of the raven" thing is just an oblique reference to Edgar Allen Poe and his mental illnesses and conditions. His primarch either freed him from it so he could pursue his destiny or it's an ingrained and reinforced psychological issue with the raven guard that gets reinforced thru long exposure to those whom have had it before.

All in all, nice background. I like it :)

Just one thing that popped up in my head. I suspect Inquisitor Brooks is a Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor, as he was to determine if Tanhauser is pure or not. But if he offers a place in the Deathwatch to Tanhauser, shouldn't he be Ordo Xenos?

All in all, nice background. I like it :)

Just one thing that popped up in my head. I suspect Inquisitor Brooks is a Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor, as he was to determine if Tanhauser is pure or not. But if he offers a place in the Deathwatch to Tanhauser, shouldn't he be Ordo Xenos?

He could have been Ordo Astartes, and just referred the Marine to the Deathwatch since that would be his only real chance to serve the Emperor outside his chapter.

Edited by Servant of Dante

Yeah basically the Inquisitionis divided into ordos but those ordos do not have to be at odds. No reason an ordor herereticus couldn't know about the deathwatch and have a contact in ordo xenos.

Speaking of ordo hereticus ...... I wonder why they don't\can't have their own kill teams. Seriously, any thought on this? Seems like they would have every reason to have their own and could make good use of them. maybe they can call on storm troopers, officio assassinorum, SoBs or other elite forces for dealing with human threats internal to the imperium?

Speaking of ordo hereticus ...... I wonder why they don't\can't have their own kill teams. Seriously, any thought on this? Seems like they would have every reason to have their own and could make good use of them. maybe they can call on storm troopers, officio assassinorum, SoBs or other elite forces for dealing with human threats internal to the imperium?

AFAIK They aren't allowed to have men under arms - in Malleus Town they have the Grey Knights, in Xenosville it's the Deathwatch, in Hereticus Towers they burn everything with the Adepta Sororitas and a personal army of "retainers". :P

MR.

I think tthe''men under arms'' injunction was the decree passive that the HLoT imposed on the ecclisiarchy after the vandire kerfuffle. Of course good old'saint sSebastian found a way to weasel out if it.

AFAIK They aren't allowed to have men under arms - in Malleus Town they have the Grey Knights, in Xenosville it's the Deathwatch, in Hereticus Towers they burn everything with the Adepta Sororitas and a personal army of "retainers". :P

MR.

I think tthe''men under arms'' injunction was the decree passive that the HLoT imposed on the ecclisiarchy after the vandire kerfuffle. Of course good old'saint sSebastian found a way to weasel out if it.

You are correct. The Decree Passive issued by the High Lords of Terra after the Reign of Blood forbade the Ecclesiarchy to keep "men under arms"

And the Sisters are for some reason exempt. I think the semantic thing is rather dated and stupid.

And the Ordo Hereticus uses the Sisters as their Chamber Militant, although the Sisters are actually members of the Ecclesiarchy, and NOT the Inquisition.

You are correct. The Decree Passive issued by the High Lords of Terra after the Reign of Blood forbade the Ecclesiarchy to keep "men under arms"

And the Sisters are for some reason exempt. I think the semantic thing is rather dated and stupid.

And the Ordo Hereticus uses the Sisters as their Chamber Militant, although the Sisters are actually members of the Ecclesiarchy, and NOT the Inquisition.

The HLoT werre probably a bunch of macho old geezers who thought girls didn't count and it might even humiliate the ecclisiarchy to make them use 'nuns with guns' as fighting forces .

Later it's like ''wait! Power armor?! Bolt guns?! Jump packs?! Melta and multi melta weapons?! Rhinos?! Hey! That sounds like....''

Then the ecclisiarch cuts them off with ''Aahh! You already agreed! No going back now! Nyah nyah!''

The HLoT werre probably a bunch of macho old geezers who thought girls didn't count and it might even humiliate the ecclisiarchy to make them use 'nuns with guns' as fighting forces .

Later it's like ''wait! Power armor?! Bolt guns?! Jump packs?! Melta and multi melta weapons?! Rhinos?! Hey! That sounds like....''

Then the ecclisiarch cuts them off with ''Aahh! You already agreed! No going back now! Nyah nyah!''

Except that a Battle Sister is infinitely more awesome than a Spess Muhrine. :P

And rules wise we do have our own identity. We're just cool enough to have all the best toys the Marines like to keep for themselves.

BTW, in the DW universe is SOB wargear equal to SM wargear? Are their bolters as powerful as a standard marine issue one or do they get "lady bolters"? Likewise is their power armor as protective as marine armor? i don't expect it to have all the neat mods marine armor does since SoB aren't gene modified like SMs are, i'm asking on the basic armor protection.

BTW, in the DW universe is SOB wargear equal to SM wargear? Are their bolters as powerful as a standard marine issue one or do they get "lady bolters"? Likewise is their power armor as protective as marine armor? i don't expect it to have all the neat mods marine armor does since SoB aren't gene modified like SMs are, i'm asking on the basic armor protection.

Well, in FFG RPGs (which I have minimal experience with), the Sororitas Power Armour and Godwyn-De'az Pattern Bolter are found in Blood of Martyrs for DH 1E (which came out before DW, remember). Or Enemies Within for 2E (published after Deathwatch). For at least the 1E stuff, its a good bit less protective/punchy than the SM stuff. They really should get damage comparable to Astartes Bolters and Protection comparable to Astartes Power Armour, since their equipment has always been described as "just as good as the Space Marines' stuff," but as written they have 7(8 on body)AP, while SMs have 11(12 on body)AP, and the Sister's Bolter is only 1d10+5 damage.

while SMs have 11(12 on body)AP

It was changed to 8 (10 on body) in DW.

while SMs have 11(12 on body)AP

It was changed to 8 (10 on body) in DW.

My bad. I read that number from a character sheet. They must have had some other things.

Y'know, I know that "making sense" isn't really the WH40K universe's thing, but it is a pretty egregious failure to sense to have the SoB's bolters be weaker, "lady bolters". I mean, if you think about it, a bolter is essentially a rocker launcher, so recoil is likely to be reduced like a gyrojet weapon. Also even if they do weight a ton and kick like a mule, a SoB wears power armor that has strength enhancement to handle it.

Y'know, I know that "making sense" isn't really the WH40K universe's thing, but it is a pretty egregious failure to sense to have the SoB's bolters be weaker, "lady bolters". I mean, if you think about it, a bolter is essentially a rocker launcher, so recoil is likely to be reduced like a gyrojet weapon. Also even if they do weight a ton and kick like a mule, a SoB wears power armor that has strength enhancement to handle it.

Precisely. According to others I have talked to (and personal experience) GW has never differentiated between bolter patterns power-wise. So I put this down to inconsistent design on the part of FFG. It seems to be their trademark when it comes to the SoB.

Precisely. According to others I have talked to (and personal experience) GW has never differentiated between bolter patterns power-wise. So I put this down to inconsistent design on the part of FFG. It seems to be their trademark when it comes to the SoB.

Bolters clearly have recoil in the setting. A two-stage gyrojet gun still has recoil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/35c6zq/warhammer_40k_do_bolters_have_recoil/

And FFG's position on astartes bolters versus human bolters has been quite consistent. Check out the "Weapons of the Astartes" sidebar on p173 of the Dark Heresy: Inquisitor's Handbook. Personally, I agree with their stance that the far stronger astartes should be able to carry more powerful weaponry than even power-armoured humans could.

Bolters clearly have recoil in the setting. A two-stage gyrojet gun still has recoil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFiction/comments/35c6zq/warhammer_40k_do_bolters_have_recoil/

And FFG's position on astartes bolters versus human bolters has been quite consistent. Check out the "Weapons of the Astartes" sidebar on p173 of the Dark Heresy: Inquisitor's Handbook. Personally, I agree with their stance that the far stronger astartes should be able to carry more powerful weaponry than even power-armoured humans could.

I'm not saying that FFG is internally inconsistent, but that they are not consistent with established GW fluff. I like the explanation that the Astarts bolter might have more extra features, but not greater power than the Sisters' Godwyn-De'az pattern. The power thing seems to be supported by GW fluff, which is where I draw the canon line in my head (it contradicts itself enough on its own).