Unbalanced Scenarios on purpose?

By Serox, in BattleLore

I have purchased BattleLore 2nd Edition Core Set last month and have already played it just under a dozen times. I love the game and the diversity of the scenario combinations.
Unfortunately, It is clear that some of scenarios are unbalanced.
The scenarios where a player can start cashing in 2 VP from turn 1 are far superior.
Whereas, in other scenarios, you need to set yourself up on hills or in forests to get 2 VP per turn, losing 2 turns in the process and falling behind in VP race. Making a come back once you start losing on VPs is very difficult.
Have others experienced the same or is it only limited to my games?

Some tipps for the scenarios with only 1 VP or with VP on special conditions:

> in most cases you will get some other advantages in this scenarions, so try to use this advantages in the battle at it's best

> U don't have to! If you feel there is to much effort to do, just ignore your VP with Special conditions, or wait for a good moment to get it...

> attack the VP on your enemies side of the battlefield: it may be more effective then getting your own VP-condition

> fast strike: If you start, sometimes it's possible to catch a VP on his half @ turn one. This may be reason to deploy the doombringer or Roc Warrior... when he occupies an enemy-VP hey (preferable in a building) on turn 1, this may disturb all the plans of your enemy... generally, occupying an enemy VP-hex will bring you the victory!

If I do the strategy of attacking an enemy VP early, I deploy my army with a slight concentration on one side, getting a power-advantage there. Try to get units in the middle and the chosen flank in reach. Attacking the VP with several units, if viable with a supportet Demon Lord a Obscenes / Roc warrior and elite-melee or Riverwatch Riders. Cavalery may be effective to get a VP fast, but think about it that they aren't your unit of choice to hold the VP after... so often I prefer to support the attack with cavalery over attacking the VP-hex itself with them.

You may also consider letting one side of the battlefield almost unoccupied and deploy your army only middle/left or middle/right on the side you want to guard your VP and attack one enemy VP. With Uthuk I deployed also armies of this Kind with both legends. It may be a bit risky to get the right command cards, but your enemy will not have much of use for his units on your weak side neither...

I hope that thoughts will help you in this kind of scenarios.

Edited by phalgast

Thanks for the suggestions, Phalgast.

I like the idea of having your army concentrated on one side. I will give it a shot next time i played.

As for fast attacks, it is not very possible with U'thuks using the units from the core set only.

The only fast unit in the core set is the cavalry. If somehow they managed to grab the enemy point on turn 1, they certainly will not be able to hold it.

And it will take another turn or 2 (depending on command cards) to have the slow-moving u'thuk supports reaching the cavalry.

From my experience,

It is better to advance slowly as u'thuks than sending units out cavalry unsupported just to disrupt their plans and VP. Aiming for a stronger tactical push with a late game victory grab. It is still risky as winning is not guaranteed, especially if the enemy player grabbed enough victory points in the beginning to survive with 1 VP income for the rest of the game.

As Daqan, fast attacks are more doable with cavalry and roc warrior from the early turns disrupting enemy plans like you said.

The dice rolls also can influence game outcome regardless of strategy.

In one game, a weakened blood harvester suicide attacked on my archers which were standing on the victory point, and he managed to knock me off the point , and he couldn't be killed for 2 turns due to my bad rolls. So frustrating but fun!

As for fast attacks, it is not very possible with U'thuks using the units from the core set only.

The only fast unit in the core set is the cavalry. If somehow they managed to grab the enemy point on turn 1, they certainly will not be able to hold it.

And it will take another turn or 2 (depending on command cards) to have the slow-moving u'thuk supports reaching the cavalry.

Yes I agree, only core set fast attacs aren't as recomandables with Uthuk. Like I wrote, I don't like it neither to sprint in front with fleshrippers. But there are also some scenarios were Uthuk is able to attack an occupied VP on turn one with ist melee units. over all if you get the command-card with extra movement for your Infanterie.

But - overall if your enemy has not to much units left, - later in the game you should also consider occupying his VP with your fleshrippers. The point is that your enemy just has to remove them. Generally you need at least two units to be quite sure to get a hex back. So he will not be able to do much more in this turn. Bad luck with the dices can be mortal for him (ok, bad luck with the dices is generally quite mortal :D ). If he only attacks with one unit and your unit is at full health he will rarely get it back if he doesn't throw a flag. If you attack a VP with fleshrippers and the Daqan unit retreats, you should really consider not to do the free second attack to improve your chances to keep the VP-hex in your enemies turn. As said, that depends on how much possibilities of attacking them your enemy has left...

If you play Uthuk and the Daqan Players has an VP in a building... I tend to just ignore it! Because he may get Golems in there and if that happens... just accept that he will get this point every single round for the hole game and don't waste any effort to attack them. You will not get them out of there if you don't attack with your Demon Lord (and he also needs crowns to be effective against them! Unable to occupy the building himself!). So consider this when you deploy your army against Daqan... If you concentrate your army on a side with this combination, it will be (almost sure) an auto-loss. Only attack VP that are possible to get!

If you Play Daqan... fast attacks are really annoying for your enemy. The Roc may do it by itself and your enemy will have to take an huge effort to get him away. If he has not to flee, he will also do more damage then the attackers (thanks to flying an 4 dices attack). Don't expect him to survive the game, but you will be able to take your position and board-control while the Uthuk Player has to handle this **** Roc Warrior. Early in the battle your enemy will also not have lots of lore to use Magic to handle your Roc...

Generally, the Daqan match up of Riverwatch Riders and Roc Warrior are the dreamteam to attack enemy VP's. With a big attack and only few of risks (thanks to just few counter-dices regarding Vigilance and flying. And with the movement of them it should be easy to get them in reach.

Edited by phalgast

Had yesterday a game that made me think about this thread:

I played Daqan, the scenario were I get barricades an crystal-fields a point cheaper. My enemy played Uthuk, scenario with better Viper Legion. Regarding the battlefield, there were only 2 VP and they were quite close. I decided to not deploy any range (on the right side it would have been usefull, but it didn't feel necessary. Neither I deployed any crystal field.)

My decklist was like 1 Roc, 2 Riverwatch, 1 Citadel Lancers, 1 Ironbound, 4 Citadel Guards and 2 free barricades. I did not deploy any unit on the left side of the battlefield, only 1 Riverwatch on the line between left/middle sector. Some Ironbounds to have at least some benefit out of left-side-comand-Cards (I think I would deploy two of them next time). My opponent deploys the Demon Lord (if you look at the Scenario-card you'll see why), Obscenes and Berzerks on his right side. So he spent 18 points for units that will never see a combat from close (he tried to get his Lord to the Infight, without any succes).

First round, I start with "art of war", moving my Roc on the enemy VP, occupying my VP and two buildings. My opponent killed my Roc on his very first turn with Obscenes an Rippers. I could strike back and after my 2d turn I was sitting on two VP, his Obscenes an fleshripper were both weak an he had just archers and one more unit of Berzerks near the 2 VP. So the game was almost done after two rounds. He was able to kill some of my units, but it didn't matter as I only moved a new unit on the VP in the cases he dealt lethal damage. His archers made quite a lot of damage, but he wasn't able to attack one of the VP. Victory was never in danger...

> fast attack was complete succesfull also with my Roc killed in round 1!

> Enemy deployed 18 points on a abandonned part of the battlefield

> Near the 2 VP I dominatet the territory with lots of Infantery an cavalry units

> Iroundbounds automaton is nice if u let a hole sector without a unit!

Edited by phalgast