Using a duplicate command card after Comm Disruption

By DTDanix, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

This came up in a skirmish game.

My opponent played Parting Blow.

I used Comm Disruption to cancel its effects.

My opponent tried to play a second Parting Blow.

I ruled that he couldn't play the same card twice for the same trigger, regardless of whether the first one's effects were canceled.

We weren't 100% sure, so I figured I'd post to see if people agreed.

he couldn't play the same card twice for the same trigger

Always correct.

I've played it the same way, I guess the confusion comes in because Comm Disruption cancels all the effects of the card, however I would say it doesn't stop the card being "played" it just stops the effects.

I would say you can't play it

Seems legit, i.e. only the card effects are cancelled, the card was and is still played, and another copy cannot be played in the same timing instance. (Comm Disruption does not advance the timing instance.)

I would toss this at FFG, because there is also a point to be made, that the card counts as not having been played at all.

It's a ruling they've been sticking to with similar cancelling cards in other of their games in the past, just as well as the IA FAQ on a similar situation stresses that all consequences of the card being played are cancelled when it is negated. Neither of these are in themselves strong enough indications that this carries over to what you are asking, but it does suggest that it is worth investigating further and perhaps not as clear-cut as argued above.

This question did actually pop up in a recent game of mine. Playing Blaise I knew that my opponent had two Parting Blows and that I could cancel one of them, making me consider it. I decide, though, instead to just not trigger the conditions for Parting Blow, as I was already well in command of the game and didn't see a point in creating an unknowable situation in a match that had already been decided.

all consequences of the card being played are cancelled when it is negated.

That just means you get the action or any other cost associated with the playing of the card back in addition to its effects being cancelled. You are not getting back the played card, so the card still remains played, and is thus evoking the "no two same cards in the same timing instance" rule.

A different ruling / errata would be able to change that, of course.

Sorry for resuming this after 4 years. @a1bert would this work the same with Pummel?

14 minutes ago, Trevize84 said:

Sorry for resuming this after 4 years. @a1bert would this work the same with Pummel?

I'm pretty sure you can play another Pummel if your first one gets cancelled, because "during your activation" is not a trigger, thus the second one isn't played in the same timing instance.

(Although I have sometime tried to explain the whole game as triggers. I don't remember off-hand what complications it created.)

@a1bert wondering about another example of this. Let’s say I play collect intel. Then I play Call the Vanguard to attack and defeat my opponent. He cycles his cards with heroic effort, and I want to see his new cards. Can I play my second copy of collect intel?

Collect%20Intel_275_thumb_ffflogog_whate Call%20the%20Vanguard_275_thumb_ffflogog Heroic%20Effort_275_thumb_ffflogog_whate

You played already one copy of Collect Intel at the start of round, so you cannot play another during the same start of round. (Start of round is a trigger, a singular moment, not a phase.)

Edited by a1bert