This was the most epic thing...ever.

By papernaut, in UFS Off Topic

This is great cause of the discrimination against big people in the world today. Great for the Canadian government

I thought the most epic thing was wheen I destroyed the registration tables at US Nats lol .

no chris that was epic fail.....there is a difference...haha

Wait... You're serious? You think this is a good thing?

Airlines are a private industry. They're not owned by the government. Not giving them the right to refuse patrons is wrong and takes away the freedom of private citizens. Yes, it would suck to be put on a scale and told 'you're too fat for one seat'. If the transportation service in question was state funded like public busses, then the government has the right to do what they please and allow anyone a seat, for however much they chose.

This is another case of people asking for equal rights but expecting MORE rights than the average person. This is like passing a law saying that a restaurant must provide overweight individuals with more food, but is unable to charge them more for it. The overweight person was being treated like everyone else to begin with... in this example being served the same amount of food, but then this new law comes into effect that says a restaurant is required to serve more. So inspite the right that the restaurant owner should have to turn away any patron for any reason, because they are eating food in that owner's property, he or she is forced by the government to relenquish larger amounts of food for the same price. To remain economically viable, the restaurant owner then has to serve smaller portions to people who are not overweight. Meaning they are getting less for their money, and the owner of the restaurant is losing the rights they should have.

The airlines are just the same. By giving overweight individuals more rights than the passengers around them, who would not be allowed to occupy two seats with their belongings, and would be stopped if they were invasive to a neighbor's personal space... you diminish the rights of other people who should be recieving equal rights. In this case the other passengers who now have to sit beside a fat person who's halfway into their seat, and the owners of the company have no authority as private citizens to refuse service. Just the same as if you had to allow everyone who knocked on your door into your home. Equality isn't treating a group of people better for a handicap, it's not treating them any worse because of it.

What should be next? Bars being forced to over-serve alcoholics instead of turning them away when they do everyone else?

littlegaines said:

no chris that was epic fail.....there is a difference...haha

It was still epic even in the fail margin.

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

Wait... You're serious? You think this is a good thing?

Airlines are a private industry. They're not owned by the government. Not giving them the right to refuse patrons is wrong and takes away the freedom of private citizens. Yes, it would suck to be put on a scale and told 'you're too fat for one seat'. If the transportation service in question was state funded like public busses, then the government has the right to do what they please and allow anyone a seat, for however much they chose.

This is another case of people asking for equal rights but expecting MORE rights than the average person. This is like passing a law saying that a restaurant must provide overweight individuals with more food, but is unable to charge them more for it. The overweight person was being treated like everyone else to begin with... in this example being served the same amount of food, but then this new law comes into effect that says a restaurant is required to serve more. So inspite the right that the restaurant owner should have to turn away any patron for any reason, because they are eating food in that owner's property, he or she is forced by the government to relenquish larger amounts of food for the same price. To remain economically viable, the restaurant owner then has to serve smaller portions to people who are not overweight. Meaning they are getting less for their money, and the owner of the restaurant is losing the rights they should have.

The airlines are just the same. By giving overweight individuals more rights than the passengers around them, who would not be allowed to occupy two seats with their belongings, and would be stopped if they were invasive to a neighbor's personal space... you diminish the rights of other people who should be recieving equal rights. In this case the other passengers who now have to sit beside a fat person who's halfway into their seat, and the owners of the company have no authority as private citizens to refuse service. Just the same as if you had to allow everyone who knocked on your door into your home. Equality isn't treating a group of people better for a handicap, it's not treating them any worse because of it.

What should be next? Bars being forced to over-serve alcoholics instead of turning them away when they do everyone else?

Agreed

The overweight people aren't asking for more rights: they're asking to pay as much as everyone else.

The only way I see this working is through a travel agent. If the travel agent measures the person and sees they need two seats, then they'll need to book the two seats through a travel agent so there is no possibility of fraud, and give a discount. It might be deemed unfair for the airlines, but it's either that or randomly add at least two "fat people" seats, which is roughly more discriminating than forcing them to pay two seats.

You're a person; you need one ticket. You don't "count" as two for being fat. Charging another ticket for being overweight is akin to charging kids meals at regular price. Just because they receive the same satisfaction as adults doesn't mean they have to pay more for a lot less food.

You should pay as much as other people, even if you take two seats. You can complain about the comfort of other people, or why they can't have their belongings in a seat (obviously due to possible problems in flight, not because they don't want you to take the other seat) when someone who obviously needs it can't have two seats that are empty and right next to each other. Fact remains, they are ultimately responsible for making sure they GET two seats through a travel agent, but they shouldn't be forced to BUY two seats. Gas prices went down, so it's not like the airline is losing more money than they were by July this year.

And with gas prices going down, hopefully airlines will also stop nickel and diming their customers.

this topic makes me glad i don't take up to seats.

guitalex2008 said:

The overweight people aren't asking for more rights: they're asking to pay as much as everyone else.

The only way I see this working is through a travel agent. If the travel agent measures the person and sees they need two seats, then they'll need to book the two seats through a travel agent so there is no possibility of fraud, and give a discount. It might be deemed unfair for the airlines, but it's either that or randomly add at least two "fat people" seats, which is roughly more discriminating than forcing them to pay two seats.

You're a person; you need one ticket. You don't "count" as two for being fat. Charging another ticket for being overweight is akin to charging kids meals at regular price. Just because they receive the same satisfaction as adults doesn't mean they have to pay more for a lot less food.

You should pay as much as other people, even if you take two seats. You can complain about the comfort of other people, or why they can't have their belongings in a seat (obviously due to possible problems in flight, not because they don't want you to take the other seat) when someone who obviously needs it can't have two seats that are empty and right next to each other. Fact remains, they are ultimately responsible for making sure they GET two seats through a travel agent, but they shouldn't be forced to BUY two seats. Gas prices went down, so it's not like the airline is losing more money than they were by July this year.

And with gas prices going down, hopefully airlines will also stop nickel and diming their customers.

So... first off you're ignoring the issue of the company's rights, which is there. But fair enough, I'll ignore it as well and just address your point.

If you are fat enough to take up two seats (which is what the weight limit is there for. It's to determine who will encroach on a neighbor), by taking those two seats you are recieving more service than people who have one seat. On an airplane you're not allowed to simply set your carryon down on a seat next to you that someone else's lap. If you require another seat for your carryon, you should also have to pay for two seats. It's in no way 'nickel and diming' people, nor was the rule ever set in place because of fuel. It's there for the comfort of the other passengers.

It's not getting a kids meal and being forced to pay normal price... It's getting a normal meal and expecting to pay kid's meal price. If a grossly obese person is allowed to show such great disrespect for other passengers by pressing against them for an entire flight, then I should be able to leave my carryon in the next person's lap, so I have easier access to my DVDs. Because when it comes down to it, there's no difference. It's an argument of wanting more service for the same price...

And I'm sorry, but I can't avoid it... it's also one of private citizen's rights being stolen.

See whay I mean by overinflated...?

I agree with Guitalex2008. That is all.

I agree with Guitalex2008. That is all.

papernaut said:

See whay I mean by overinflated...?

No pun intended?

DrUnK3n_PaNdA said:

It's in no way 'nickel and diming' people, nor was the rule ever set in place because of fuel. It's there for the comfort of the other passengers.

Regardless, while it's not fair to be scrunched by a fat person when no one is allowed to put their carry-on on someone else's lap, that's what they're trying to avoid. If you look at it from the people's perspective (yes, ignoring the company again), what you have taking up that extra seat is not a carry-on, it's a person. But that person already paid a ticket. And to tell you the truth, I'm not obese yet I find myself being very uncomfortable in the economy seats. It would only be unfair to the clients if it was an overbooked flight and someone had to get off. Quite frankly, I'll agree that the obese person should reschedule so as to not take someone's place; while it's still not equal rights because you're singling them out, it makes more sense that way.

Company wise, well OF COURSE IT'S NOT GOOD FOR THEM. Simple logic tells them that another person could be sitting there in the space where the fat rolls lay.

I know this will sound rough, but I have to agree with Drunken Panda.

The capitalist market isn't public, so tribunals can't tell them how to act. I can imagine how humilliating this must be for overweighted people, and I find it abusive to charge 2 ticket for 1 passanger, but giving it for free is stealing the flight company. Passengers that feel like needing an extra seat for one single person should pay like 1,3 or 1,5 time the price of a single ticket. There is people not taking this flight due to the very same situation, and I can't say the company is the one that has to pay for it.

My brother finished his major y Law and sometimes we talk about this kins of thing. We all like good looking people. If you go to the cinema and the girl in the box is pretty, you usually smile at her. Same for girls, if they take a flight and the flight assistant is handsome, they may be less distant with him. So we could say that society is nicer with good looking people. Does this mean they have to pay more taxes because society is nicer with them? NO. So if you are going to demand more than one seat in a plane, you have to pay more than one seat. The company can't argue you are too fat so you can't fly with them, but they have all the right to demand you an extra for the second seat.

It is cold to say it like this, but justice doesn't win with this.

Glad that I take up one seat.

Glad that I don't fly.