Good Vampiress in Graveyard

By Filippo, in Talisman Rules Questions

Life Value: 5

A Good Vampiress is in the Graveyard. How many lives she got?

4 = Vampiress heals, then Graveyards damages goods

5 = Graveyard damages goods, then Vampiress heals

This is a good one.

I see a few facets to this this:

1. When you go to the graveyard, being evil, in addition to praying or replenishing fate you can replenish all of your life.

2. It is not detailed when special abilities take effect in automatic circumstances so it could be encountered as:

A. Encounter the space, lose a life and then replenish your life value.

B. Replenish your full life value when you land on the space and then lose a life when you encounter the space.

3. Land on the space, lose a life for being good, and then your turn ends immediately.

With this ability she should probably have the ability like others that she can not change alignment. A vampiress at the chapel replenishing life? lol

The encounter sequence states nothing to give us a clue here...

Encounter Sequence When characters choose to encounter a space, they must resolve the encounter in the order listed below. If a character is moved to a different space any time during the encounter, he continues with a new encounter in the new space. Exception: If a character is defeated during a battle or psychic combat and is forced to move to a new space, he cannot encounter the new space and his turn immediately ends.

1. If the space has instructions to draw cards (see “Encountering A Space – Draw Cards Spaces” on page 9 in the main game’s rulebook), the character must follow the instructions on the space first.

2. Any cards in the space without an encounter number (such as the Hex Spell) must be encountered.

3. Any Events in the space must be encountered. Note that an Event that lasts more than one turn remains on the space as a reminder, and still counts as a card on that space. If a character encounters the Event again, the effect does not “reset” and last for additional turns.

4. Any Enemies in the space with an encounter number of 1 must be encountered. If all of the Enemies are killed or evaded the character continues to the next step, otherwise his turn ends.

5. Any Enemies in the space with an encounter number of 2 must be encountered. If all of the Enemies are killed or evaded the character continues to the next step, otherwise his turn ends.

6. Any Enemies in the space with an encounter number of 3 must be encountered. If all of the Enemies are killed or evaded the character continues to the next step, otherwise his turn ends.

7. Any Strangers must be visited.

8. Any gold, Followers, and Objects may be taken.

9. Any Places must be visited.

10. If the space does not have instructions to draw cards, the character must follow the instructions for the space.

But there is this from the FAQ:

Simultaneous Effects If two or more abilities or effects are triggered at the same time, the player who is currently taking his turn decides the order to resolve them in. Example: The Hex Spell states that any character who lands on it must lose 1 life. The Druid’s special ability states that he may gain his full complement of Spells whenever he lands on the Woods. If the Druid lands on a Woods space with the Hex Spell, he decides if he loses a life first or if he gains Spells first.

I would assume this is where this falls under so I would say it is your choice to encounter the space or use your ability first. Although, I do not think this is the intent of the ability, the character or the space.

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba

Your turn does not end for losing a life, would play it as I believe DE would, you immediately lose a life upon landing on the space, then can replenish your lives

Yep I think its a Simultaneous Effect, so the player chooses.

Mmmh... I think this is very similar to Thief's ability:

• Whenever you visit the Market , Market Day , or Village you may take one card of your choice from the Purchase deck for free.

How do you play the thief?

A- Solve the text of Village, then Thief steal
    B- Thief steal, then solve the text of Village
    C- Simultaneous effect: you decide the order

Mmmh... I think this is very similar to Thief's ability:

• Whenever you visit the Market , Market Day , or Village you may take one card of your choice from the Purchase deck for free.

How do you play the thief?

A- Solve the text of Village, then Thief steal

B- Thief steal, then solve the text of Village

C- Simultaneous effect: you decide the order

When playing the board game I would say C, but when this came up the other day in the digital version it was a B (there was no option to steal after visiting the Village)

Simultaneous Effects. You choose.

Mmmhh... I don't like the idea of simultaneous effect for these things. I think we need an order... I have a theory (If I'm wrong I'll probably do a houserule).

I think the intent of "visit" is "to solve the text", so the correct answer is A. Otherwise, the text in the character card could be the same of Druid "Whenever you land on the Graveyard, you may heal all your lives" --> in this case the correct answer is B.

I think Graveyard damages goods, then Vampiress heals.

So, a good Vampiress with 1 life cannot heal in the Graveyard ;)

Mmmhh... I don't like the idea of simultaneous effect for these things.

Regardless it is the official rule. This is Talisman though, so you are free to house rule it if the group you are playing with all agrees.

DE sometimes is great for referencing some rules but in a lot of instances, such as this one, it does not follow the rulebook.

To me the simple rule change would be to the Vampiress herself by adding " You may never be good; ignore any effect that changes your a lignment to good ."

Mmmhh... I don't like the idea of simultaneous effect for these things.

Regardless it is the official rule. This is Talisman though, so you are free to house rule it if the group you are playing with all agrees.

DE sometimes is great for referencing some rules but in a lot of instances, such as this one, it does not follow the rulebook.

To me the simple rule change would be to the Vampiress herself by adding " You may never be good; ignore any effect that changes your a lignment to good ."

Sorry... maybe this is a very stupid question... what does "DE" mean?

Another question. Are we sure than the intent of "visit" is not "to solve the text"?

Sorry to interrupt this discussion. I'm noticing that the 2 possibilities discussed are die first and heal later or simultaneous effect. This, for me, makes this a non-question since I can think of no reason to choose to heal first and die afterwards.

DE means Digital Edition. Tool me a while to figure out first time I saw it as well.

Sorry to interrupt this discussion. I'm noticing that the 2 possibilities discussed are die first and heal later or simultaneous effect. This, for me, makes this a non-question since I can think of no reason to choose to heal first and die afterwards.

DE means Digital Edition. Tool me a while to figure out first time I saw it as well.

Thank you for explanation about DE

Sorry, I don't understand your point of view: Why is this a non-question?

I was asking why this is considered a simultaneous effect: my doubts are about the words " Whenever you visit ..."

If you only had 1 life and a choice it would be obvious which to choose should you visit. If you had 2 lives you would want to lose a life and then heal all your lives...

Mmmhh... I don't like the idea of simultaneous effect for these things. I think we need an order... I have a theory (If I'm wrong I'll probably do a houserule).

There is a order.. Its Players choice. Anyway effects that are simultaneous are in the rules.

If you only had 1 life and a choice it would be obvious which to choose should you visit. If you had 2 lives you would want to lose a life and then heal all your lives...

True, but no one was arguing for this to be the correct interpretation. I agree with simultaneous effect but if die first, heal later is correct than the vampiress just has to avoid graveyard when she's down to one life.

So... are you so sure that this is a simultaneous effect? Can you explain to me, please?
Because in my opinion this doesn't seem a simultaneous effect, because if I read " Whenever you visit the Graveyard , you may heal up to your life value .", I think "Oh, I visit something when I solve it before". It's not like the situation with Druid on a Wood space with the Hex Spell.

Maybe I'm missing some rules...

For me visit is need to encounter, the whole encounter phase. Sometimes that is one thing (choose replenish fate or pray on the graveyard or choose whom to encoumter in the city). In this case with the vampiress or if a character with the princess visits the castle there are multiple things to do during the visit = simultaneous effect.

Land on is before you encounter the space. In the druids case when he lands on, but before he encounters the wood space.

For me visit is need to encounter, the whole encounter phase. Sometimes that is one thing (choose replenish fate or pray on the graveyard or choose whom to encoumter in the city). In this case with the vampiress or if a character with the princess visits the castle there are multiple things to do during the visit = simultaneous effect.

Land on is before you encounter the space. In the druids case when he lands on, but before he encounters the wood space.

Ok, you have convinced me. It's logical and easy to remember, and I think this game has hard things to remember.

Simple things are the best.

Simultaneous effect approved.