My CG starships, largely based on Armada and X-wing miniatures

By martok2112, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

Hi, all,

(NOTE: If this is inappropriate to post here, I apologize, and will have it removed... or will request a mod to remove it.)

I just started collecting miniatures from both the X-wing and Armada games from Fantasy Flight. The models are already exquisitely and lovingly built and painted by the talented artists at FFG. And I have seen many wonderful repaints here in this forum.

Well, what I do is a bit different. I make CG models and animations as a hobby, and here's what I have done. I've built CG versions of the Fantasy Flight Miniatures (with the exception of the Sentinel class lander, which is based on the Titanium Series Micro Machines Star Wars collection.) I used the default paint schemes for the out of the box miniatures as my texture sources. The ships also have animated wings, boarding areas and landing gear...except (ironically) for the Sentinel class, which I figure is more of a background ship, so I didn't give it landing gear...ha ha ha...but the wings still deploy on command. :D The Corvette has animated landing gear, boarding elevator, airlocks, and its sensor dish rotates. I am also rigging the ships for laser fire animations.

I currently have (from X-Wing) The Corellian Corvette (my favorite ship in all the SWU), the Millennium Falcon, and the Lambda class shuttle.

From Armada, I have the Imperial, Victory, and Gladiator class Star Destroyers, and am eagerly awaiting the Interdictor.... and hoping like hell there will be a Super Star Destroyer in the works from FFG.)

Anyhoo... here are my CG builds, based on the gorgeous Armada and X-wing miniatures. I hope you will enjoy the images. These ships are part of a pretty ambitious idea I have for a Star Wars tribute film. :)

After these first three I have since made corrections to the Lambda class shuttlle in terms of the nose section. Hopefully the correction will be apparent in the images that follow.

Lamda%20shuttle%20on%20ground%20001_zpsa

Lamda%20shuttle%20in%20flight%20001_zpsx

Lamda%20shuttle%20in%20flight%20002_zpsc

And the most recent renders. All these ships are to virtual actor scale in iClone. .I actually made two scales of a few of the ships. The aforementioned "virtual actor scale" and the general filming scale. (This means that I've built the ships according to the size of an Imperial Stormtrooper I built for iClone.) The filming scaled ships have many of the same features as their larger "actor" scaled brethren. But the actor scale version of the Corellian Corvette also has a few interior sets built onto it... a corridor running from the portside airlock up to about a third of the way through the middle shaft, and the bridge in the hammerhead of the ship. I am thinking of building a bridge set for my actor scale Star Destroyer. I also need to do up the landing bays....at least the main landing bay.

Actor%20scaling%20001_zpsgq8yggtv.jpg

Actor%20scaling%20001a_zpswbw3bo4l.jpg

Actor%20scaling%20002_zps5jnxiala.jpg

Actor%20scaling%20003%20_zpsqqz9dbga.jpg

Actor%20scaling%20004%20_zpsdggzl9ad.jpg

Ships were built and textured in Blender, and rendered in iClone 6 PRO.

Once I've finished a few corrective reshoots, I'll post a video of the ships in action.... part of a second proof of concept for my Star Wars tribute film project.

I hope you enjoy these renders, and again, if inappropriate, I'll ask to have the post removed. I just kinda think of this as my "repaint and build" scheme in the miniatures universe...albeit a virtual one. :)

May the Force Be With You,

Martok2112