Noises in the hills

By PearlJamaholic, in CoC Rules Discussion

this would let ravanger do his thing twice right? or ravanger could go on offense with this if youre willing to sacrifice some of your own characters.

figured id ask just to be sure.

PearlJamaholic said:

this would let ravanger do his thing twice right? or ravanger could go on offense with this if youre willing to sacrifice some of your own characters.

figured id ask just to be sure.

-- Cthulhu --
Noises in the Hills
-------------------
Type : Event
Cost : 2
Subtype :
Game Text: Action: Play after all players have committed characters to stories. Uncommit one of your characters, and re-commit that character to a different story.
Collector's Info: ADD F8

-- Cthulhu --
Ravager from the Deep
---------------------
Type : Character
Cost : 4
Skill : 2
Icons : CCA
Subtype : Deep One.
Game Text: Villainous. Toughness +1. Forced Response: after Ravager from the Deep is committed to a story, wound all other characters at that story.
Collector's Info: UT C61

On defense it will indeed commit again, and thus trigger again. I don't understand what you're up to with the offense bit though; You can't play Noises in between stories, so, please tell what you have in mind about that one.

everyone knows ravanger isnt a threat if he commits first so.....

commit ravanger to story 1, some other creature to story 2. opponent commits something to take care of stuff at story 2 then play noises, uncommit ravanger and move him to story 2 wounding your own character plus whatever they thought could take care of whatever you sent there.

works?

Works, but Yig works better

Carioz said:

Works, but Yig works better

yig is also a rare thats hard to come by.

I actually had to chase more for my 4th Ravager than for my 7th Yig :) -but it had mostly to do with the wierd distribution and prices we had in Italy-

Furthermore, now that I read it better, a good case can be presented on the verb re-commit which strongly points on doesn't work. Since the action is "re-committing" and not "committing", and there is no reason to use that verb instead of "commit" we must deduce that either words in Cthulhu card are used randomly (which to an extent I agree upon, expecially in the latest packs) or that re-commit and commit are indeed different action. Since there is no errata stating that a re-commit is a subset of a commit, Ravager does not trigger.

Conclusions? Use Yig, it's better and no nitpicker will tear your combo apart due to very bad wording on the card.

-Not to mention the fact, pointed out in the Lost Boards by a Polish (?) player (Sadric, I think) that rule as written you cannot commit an exhausted character, so re-commit is indeed another action with it's own ruleset-

re-commit means to commit again. i dont think they could have worded it any differently. i think they used wording that uses less text.

look at on the lam.

-- Syndicate --
On the Lam
----------
Type : Event
Cost : 1
Subtype :
Game Text: Play during a story phase. Action: remove one of your committed characters from the story it is at. Then, move that character to another story. It is now considered to be committed to that story.

here it doesnt say recommit, but rather it is "considered to be committed" so i could see here that ravanger wouldnt work, cause the way the card is worded, it isnt commited. but with noises, i think it is infact commited.

and on a side note, how do you know i wasnt already using yig and just wanted yet another way to kill stuff in one turn?

but like i said i dont have yigs. plus this thread isnt about what is the best card to use in this situation. why use hungry dark young when there is dr west? i just think your reponse is very elitist.

Oh, just charming, a lengthy response got cancelled due to some random forum glitch (guess I brought it on myself)

Anyway:

1) Sorry if I have upset, disgruntled or bothered you. The post wasn't meant to Say: "PJaholic has no Yigs, lets mock him", just that the ruling on Noises is very shaky and Noises + Ravager is a poor combo in an open environment. Anyway, I sounded like a complete jerk, so feel free to label me one.

2) Commit explicitly (as for EE rules, FAQ 2.0) state chars need to be ready to commit. So, if Noises re-commit = commit Noises would work only on two characters and in combo with the Barque, Else, if re-commit != commit Noises works on exhausted characters too but Ravager does not trigger.

Of course Nate can handwave this any time he wants saying Noises works just so, but the correct wording for a choose anyone and triggers commital response should have been: "Uncommit one of your characters, ready it, and commit that character to a different story".

3) HDY Advantages over Assistant:

Response triggers even when Shocked into play

Non Neutral

Resurrect on cost (Nyarly).

They both resurrect, but in different ways, in different time frames, in different factions.

Re-committing is a game action that commits a character even without it needing a commit action, so it can be done when the character is exhausted. * waves hand *

I see what is meant with the offensive action. It's a clever one. Yes, there are simpler ways to reach the goal you're trying to achieve, but it has a couple of upsides: Flexibility and deterence. Flexibility is using it in different -normal- situations, as well in this offensive kamikaze trick. Deterence means that when you run with your ravager and, say, Carl Stanford or any other character that can soak wounds, players may not oppose you because you might have that trick at hand, even when in reality you don't.

Marius said:

Re-committing is a game action that commits a character even without it needing a commit action, so it can be done when the character is exhausted. * waves hand *

Cool, are we getting an errata any time soon?

youre not a jerk. i just dont agree with the idea that the better way is using better cards.....i know its obvious, and once its all lcg it would make sense. but for now i think the idea that there is more than one way to skin a cat can only help. besides thinking how cards work with other cards is part of the fun.

but i think marius figured it out. its bluffing opponents, partly. yig is 100% aggro, while thats fun sometimes. i like to play the game differently sometimes too. once they see the trick, anytime you have a domain free and cards in hand you make them decide, 'do i commit and maybe loss a character (or more) or do i just give them two tokens?'

i rarely play pure aggro, i like making them walk into it. one of my favorite cards in agot was crushed at the walls. thats just my style of playing. while i havent been able to build anything like my stark deck for coc im working on it and this is definitely the right path for this.

Carioz said:

Cool, are we getting an errata any time soon?

I don't think so... Normally a character pays for a commitment, now there is an event that does it for the character. Unless there is a real problem...

Well according to one of the guys on the old forums the Coreset is nothing but reprinted and errated cards so hopefully this will be reprinted to make it clearer and sort out the confusion.

Dwnhmcntryboy said:

Well according to one of the guys on the old forums the Coreset is nothing but reprinted and errated cards so hopefully this will be reprinted to make it clearer and sort out the confusion.

honestly i can see them just not reprinting ravanger just to do away with his awesomeness. i mean seriously he is cooler than 4 turtles soaked in nuclear waste and taught kung-fu.

Hmm... I wouldn't bet for Ravager unprinted: after all it has a committal effect and current development team seems to think committal stuff is TEH AWSHUM111!!!ONE!
Just look at the sheer amount of committals in the last APs...