Breaker change in next revision of AGR request

By Smazzurco, in UFS Rules Q & A

Breaker is currently worded to effect the difficulty of the next card played. A card is not "played" until after the CC has passed. Changing difficulty at this point won't do much.

Obviously we all know HOW breaker is supposed to work (well, with blocks it may not be clear to all, but as far as a form) and I am not trying to nitpick or point out errors or mistakes. Maybe this has already been noted, but otherwise just a heads up to maybe change the next rev of AGR to say "the next card attempted to be played" or (this would change game mechanics, not sure how hata, steve, etc feel) maybe even change it to increase the difficulty of the next CC made. (not saying i recomend that, but it may be an option)

Again, not trying to do the "card text says this, so im gonna play it this way" thing and be difficult, just a heads up.

Also if there is somewhere else these "requests" should be posted feel free to let me know, i didnt think it was right to post in the sticky errata topic.

I noticed that today (I see that's why you replied).

There are two possible changes, and it all depends on what Hata thinks is right for Breaker.

Change to either:

1) "the difficulty to play your opponent's next card" - allows Breaker to affect blocks. Also means that Reversal decks would benefit from Breaker as an additional "speed pump" of sorts to their attack (if the opponent attempts to block) or control, but if the attack is not incredibly threatening, the opponent can just attempt a block, dissolve the breaker and move on with their life. Since there aren't that many threatening reversals not named Triple Botta in Tempo, this doesn't seem to help Reversal decks much, but it does.

2) "the difficulty of the next card your opponent attempts to play" - does not allow Breaker to affect blocks. This gives Reversal decks control only if the opponent does not try to block, because blocking would not only dissolve the Breaker but also not affect blocking difficulty due to this wording. This completely screws Reversal decks over if they use Breaker, i.e. Amy.

guitalex2008 said:

I noticed that today (I see that's why you replied).

There are two possible changes, and it all depends on what Hata thinks is right for Breaker.

Change to either:

1) "the difficulty to play your opponent's next card" - allows Breaker to affect blocks. Also means that Reversal decks would benefit from Breaker as an additional "speed pump" of sorts to their attack (if the opponent attempts to block) or control, but if the attack is not incredibly threatening, the opponent can just attempt a block, dissolve the breaker and move on with their life. Since there aren't that many threatening reversals not named Triple Botta in Tempo, this doesn't seem to help Reversal decks much, but it does.

2) "the difficulty of the next card your opponent attempts to play" - does not allow Breaker to affect blocks. This gives Reversal decks control only if the opponent does not try to block, because blocking would not only dissolve the Breaker but also not affect blocking difficulty due to this wording. This completely screws Reversal decks over if they use Breaker, i.e. Amy.

Ya 2 is how it "works" now, but really the way it is worded it doesn't do anything. Unless it changes from a design perspective, i will either breaker or reversal with amy, no sense in doing both. Although even if they block it at least gives card advantage, and possibly progressive difficulty, so its not all bad.

Smazzurco said:

Ya 2 is how it "works" now, but really the way it is worded it doesn't do anything. Unless it changes from a design perspective, i will either breaker or reversal with amy, no sense in doing both. Although even if they block it at least gives card advantage, and possibly progressive difficulty, so its not all bad.

1) My Bad. I apologize. No need to go to Hata on this one, I oopsed in the wording.

2) It's intended to affect the difficulty of the next card the opponent attempts to play. It will not impact block difficulty.

3) Amy's ability + a reversal has two possible effects. a) they attempt to block it to clear out the breaker. If they do, they're down 1 card. So it leans towards card advantage. b) they don't bother to block it, so they do eat the difficulty increase on their next card played.

Antigoth said:

1) My Bad. I apologize. No need to go to Hata on this one, I oopsed in the wording.

2) It's intended to affect the difficulty of the next card the opponent attempts to play. It will not impact block difficulty.

3) Amy's ability + a reversal has two possible effects. a) they attempt to block it to clear out the breaker. If they do, they're down 1 card. So it leans towards card advantage. b) they don't bother to block it, so they do eat the difficulty increase on their next card played.

This is what i figured. I figured it will continue to work as intended, but with the mass reset maybe there would be some design changes (im all for no changes, consistency is a good thing, and now we seem to (for the most part) have it)

Edit: Also not sure if you are able to, but feel free to lock this thread if you wish. The purpose of it was to make sure you were aware of the wording, and you are.

I feel so much better with my understanding of the rules then from when i started playing...and it has made me a much better player.

from what i have been told by my scout breaker also doesnt affect blocking. Is there a reason for this? Can this be addressed as well?

rulemonkey said:

from what i have been told by my scout breaker also doesnt affect blocking. Is there a reason for this? Can this be addressed as well?

This was stated quite clearly by Antigoth already. It doesn't. Blocking doesn't use the difficulty of the card (top left number), which is the number Breaker affects... it uses its own difficulty derived from the block modifier and speed value, which Breaker does not affect.

If it makes things clearer, the difficulty is the number at the top left.

However, to block, you don't use this number, so Breaker won't affect the "difficulty to block", but instead change the printed difficulty on the card, which does nothing when blocking. So don't use Breaker if you expect them to block a reversal, because by just attempting to block, Breaker will kick in and do nothing on a block.