Terraine mats.

By Flying Officer Kyte, in Wings of War (WWI)

Has anyone news about the terraine mats that Andrea was talking about earlier this year? They seemed such a good idea and ideal Christmas presents for ones friends who have everything else including conversions of every plane from every Jasta that existed. Yes! I have even had to start painting up planes in other colours before sending them off as presents. It is getting that bad. Come on with the new releases please.

Where do you get color pictures of other paint jobs of the planes? I've started painting some of teh DR1s myself and wanted some designs. I know there are top-down designs from teh cards.. but it's the sides as well I need.

My main sources are as follows:- The book series by Osprey "Aircraft of the Aces." cross ref with any info from these other sources, as you often get conflicting data.A lot of re-paint jobs seemed to be ongoing, and pilots were not averse to borrowing any available aircraft if there own was being fixed.

Try, TMP, Biplane message board. Or Doms Decals.com He is very good at providing all manner of help, plus fine sets of conversion transfers.There is also RosebudsWW1 and early aviation archive. www.earlyaviator.com and Thevintageaviator.co.nz

For some really good conversions of Wings of War models look at " Derek's Wee Toys Blog. You can Google it and it comes up on the first page.

thanks. just asked for a couple of them for Christmas. Osprey has some nice books.

As for the terraine mats, check out www.hotzmats.com/ , they have some reallynice ones. They have a WW1 trench map that is suppose to be sold soon but a few of the other ones works fine as well. They can also make squares or hexagones, and can print on both sides.

Speaking about repaints please read this thread .

It has references to Dom's decals, expressely made for WoW miniatures to get full squadrons of them.

The mat will be released this Spring. It will feature Dario Calì's bacjkground for cards so it will somehow look like that:

pic267739_md.jpg

pic267740_md.jpg

Any idea on the price tag of said map? Can the map be combined with itself to create a seamless double sized map? if so, I'd definitly get at least 1.... gran_risa.gif

Thanks for the info" Pour le Merite " and Angiolillo. I've been a bit busy with all the new aircraft arriving last week but am now ready to start my Albert Ball conversion. Dom's decals to the rescue again, especially for the little roundel on the underside of the bottom wing.

Re the mats, I think I will wait for the official one as it looks to be in keeping with the spirit of W.O.W. Roll on series four and make sure there is an SE5a in it please.

Flying Officer Kyte said:

Re the mats, I think I will wait for the official one as it looks to be in keeping with the spirit of W.O.W. Roll on series four and make sure there is an SE5a in it please.

Oh, I heard that! aplauso.gif

An SE5a, most ab-so-lutely! gran_risa.gif

SE5 isnt that great, where is my Sopwith triplane? Yeah it is an Ok plane and common but the camel could fly around it in circles (only right circles, mind you).

As far as the maps, our options are cheap so you could just have one made until the official ones come, it is not as you can have to many maps, different maps for different scenarios is the right way to go :D

I wouldn't mind to pay some extra if the official one have different prints on both sides, one with trenches and one without would be great.

Pour Le Merite said:

SE5 isnt that great, where is my Sopwith triplane? Yeah it is an Ok plane and common but the camel could fly around it in circles (only right circles, mind you).

As far as the maps, our options are cheap so you could just have one made until the official ones come, it is not as you can have to many maps, different maps for different scenarios is the right way to go :D

I wouldn't mind to pay some extra if the official one have different prints on both sides, one with trenches and one without would be great.

Another good Allied plane mentioned on here before that would be a great addition is the Bristol Fighter. aplauso.gif

To get back on the topic of the terrain mats here, I would like to add the following.

I've been looking at original aerial photographs taken during the war and i plan to buy a piece of felt cloth that would fit on a large table (e.g. 1.20 x 2.40m). It would depict a part of the battlefield with trenches on both sides. A friendly side (about 1/4th - 60 cm) with a line of trenches, a no-mans land (approx. 60cm) and an ennemy side about 1.20m with a line of trenches and other possible bombing targets (gun and AA emplacements, an amo depot with railroad lines, a small village, observation posts and maybe an airfield).

All these features could be painted by projecting pieces of real photos projected on the cloth. The colours should be mostly drab or dark grey, some green for woods (although there was hardly any foliage left on these battlefields). The colours should kept subdued as I think this would give a nice contrast with the colourful planes.

To enhance the appearance, guns and other features could be placed upon it by using models on a 1/600 scale. These are commercially available (Polemus, I think) and would give extra depth with the 1/144 planes. Painted fishing weights could be used for buildings (if not commercially available). If their emplacement would interfere with the bases of the planes they can always be shifted to the side temporarely.

A multitude of different missions for campaign play can be invented on such a versatile map (imagine bombing a moving train ???). Additional rules too, e.g. a plane shot down in no-mans land could have a possible survival of the pilot. If shot down over enemy lines, the pilot would be lost (nice addition if playing the ace rules in campaign play).

Anyway these are only embrionic ideas and all input from forum members will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Are these images online somewhere? I'd love to take a look at them myself.

I been working a bit on that myself too (I have many projekts all the time, I am also working on making Max Immelmanns Fokker EIV and a few other things).

Here are some airphotos from WW1, a lot of them over the trenches. They are of course in black/white: www.drbill.net/eu_website/ww1_aerial_reconnaissance_photos/THUMNALC.htm

I wouldnt mind to see some more pictures of your game mats BTW :D

Oh, and by the way, Wilhelm. The company I linked to above airbrushes custom mats so you could try to mail them and have them do the work if you dont want to do it yourself.

We use AAs in 1/144 and plan to make houses and stuff in a lower scale, reason for the AAs size is that they are kinda important :)

Actually, I'm looking at trying my hadiwork at making a map. Not sure just how I will attempt it, but I might try one. and make it so that I can make others that combine to it.

lingster said:

Actually, I'm looking at trying my hadiwork at making a map. Not sure just how I will attempt it, but I might try one. and make it so that I can make others that combine to it.

Well, either you could have a picture printed up to large scale or airbrush the whole thing on some cloth.

For the later, use some real air photos as inspirations.

Question is just how high up you want it to look like it is, like the nice zip earlier is low, I usually wants mine to look like they are up from higher but it is just a matter of taste.

You also have to decide if you want it to be in black/white or colour. Personally I would love the idea to paint the planes in B/W too and use on the map :D

If you airbrush the map it is easy to make it so you could add maps, with photos things get a lot harder. You could of course also paint the map but I think airbrush would work best myself.

actually, I have a mapping tool I use for my Star Wars Miniatures maps I make. it would work nicely I think.

Pour le mérite, i've played on these maps by Holz on our local club. They are very good for miniatures and good quality.

Personally i think for using them with cards i feel the fabric is a bit too loose and i would like to find something more like billiard-type cloth and/or with a backing like a card mat. I'm still searching.

No probs with the 1/144 AA guns, but on a 1/600 scale they would be as important as before, but harder to bomb ;-)

Hmm, maybe you could use a carpet which you airbrush up?

We did that before when we played Blue max in 1/72, a carpet do have the right quality for cards at least and is usually very stable for putting models on.

Yeah, the gun scale makes sense but I got a sweet deal of those 1/144 guns, £3 for 2 and I was already buying some other stuff from them, like a few bombers. :)

Ehy fellows look at this :

game Mat for WIngs Of War ?

Is it a real one ?

Or just a fake...

but the problem is that it had been found on a German GameStore Site

preocupado.gif

Well, it looks real, I seen the close up with the river somewhere here also.

To my knowledge it is not in stores yet, but maybe the germans got it first, they seems to be crazy about this game. Watched a comercial with the actor from the new red baron movie playing wow. :)

Still the map looks too cartoon-like for me, air photos from the time looks very different and we should at least have a backside of it with trenches on, a lot of the battles were fought over the trenches. I would prefer a map based on a real photo but with colour and repainted. I give it 3 of 5.

I agree with pour le merite, it's a nice map but not enough war-like.

It looks a bit like a picnic-site to me

Cheers anyway

Der Wilhelm said:

I agree with pour le merite, it's a nice map but not enough war-like.

It looks a bit like a picnic-site to me

Cheers anyway

Ya a bit too much green. Of course it could depend on year it depicts but at the end of the war my expectations are nothing but brown and maybe just to give more life (death?) some small green clouds of chlorine gas.