How to become a noble

By wolph42, in Rogue Trader

One of my player (Arch Militant, with a strong military background) has become so much annoyed by the High Factotum (Noble background) who called her (both characters are female) 'lesser' on several occasions as she has no noble blood, that the AM now wants to pursue a noble title.

An entertaining though and not something I would hold impossible in my campaign.

Begs the question though: How?

From what I know from real life:

1 you inherit it;

2 you mary it;

3 you buy it;

4 you're granted it.

I would imagine similar applies to the W40K world. A couple of questions on this matter:

- what are your thoughts on this matter, how would you go with this?

- 'buying it' how much would that go for? And where do you buy a title? The administratum??

- Same with granting, under what circumstances does this happen, and by whom?

thanks!

Nobles are VERY jealous of their bloodlines so just because your AM wins a title doesn't mean she'll be universally accepted by the rest of her "Peers". Nobility in 40k has, IMO a very Renaissance/colonial era feel to it. If that's what we're going with, than extreme cases of snobbery and judgement exist between various houses. Some are respected for their position (Inquisitors, for example), others for their raw wealth and power (As in a Rogue trader.). But "true" nobility is a matter of blood for these people. Having a title means just that; you have one. How far back you can trace your lineage and who you're connected to (Especially by blood) is far more important than what you personally have done! (That's for later generations to brag about!). In the case of a title by marriage, some Nobles will even sneer at her for having "Won her title on her back!" (Think of today when a girl/guy marries into a far wealthier family!)

All that being said, I agree with your stated methods for gaining your Title. Your RT could actually sponsor your AM to noble title based on her service. This would be considered an advancement for merit. Bear in mind though, that if the RT is playing true to form they will likely demand some sort of oath of fealty from said character as that is also the nature of such patronage.

Your character could also Marry into either the dynasty (With your RT's approval) or some other noble house but as stated above, you will always be treated as a sort of "second class citizen" among your peers since in their mind, you don't really belong there!

Buying a title is a time honored tradition as it basically involves paying a higher level noble to sponsor you! You would still be considered "new" to the Nobility but your apparent wealth means other nobles may seem ways to gain from you so you might be treated with a little more respect. (At least to your face!)

Remember that at it's heart, the Nobility are always scheming about who can get what from whom! Even marriages among the nobility are contracts negotiated with economic or political power in mind (Or both!). Nobles routinely have additional Paramours/Mistresses or even harems because actual marriage is NOT really about love in any way. That's not to say it doesn't happen, especially over time! But that's not generally where it starts.

Thus far, everything I have pointed out is about how your fellow nobles will react to your new found ascension. Even at lowest levels of nobility, you are still considered to be vastly ahead of the unwashed masses that are the common populace! Even the mighty Adeptas such as the Arbites and even the Administratum are required to show you due deference out of respect for your title. this will mean favorable treatment at criminal hearings, trade negotiations etc. The Arbites will generally not be openly sniffing around your business unless they're pretty sure they've already got the goods on you. You may even be beyond the Jurisdiction of local enforcers depending on your particular world! In fact, only the Inquisition seems to be able to casually ignore a patent of nobility.

So that's my thoughts. Hope they help!

Also, depending on some things, you might also already have some of what it is to be "noble." In my head, anyway, many of the characters in a game of Rogue Trader are not "just anybodies"; they are, themselves, members of various families who have, over the generations, sworn fealty, to some degree, to the leaders of the Rogue Trader's dynasty, and while even some Rogue Traders, who come to their power by happenstance, might get less than the most respect from some noble snobs, it is an unwise choice to question them on the matter, lest you find out they, while possibly being "less noble" than you, are in very well with the heads of certain agencies, and their pull can make life harder for you, and your own precious family. Even Kings can have "lesser families" who are still powerful enough, in their own field, that he needs to keep them friendly.

In my own story, this isn't as much the case, granted: Aedan Qel-Drake's bevy of Maidens are, for the most parts, acquisitions he has made, or hard-luck cases he has come across, who happen to possess the exacting degree, and wide range, of skills he requires. They agree to serve him, and his dynasty, and get, in return, all the perks, pleasures, and excitement that are to be had from being on the arm of a Rogue Trader, and relatively unfettered access to his money. Of course, the man, himself, would likely qualify as "noble", to some degree. The Qel-Drakes were originally made by Saint Drusus, for services rendered during his crusade, and the unbroken line of Rogue Traders can be followed back to then, so he's made, and no one should likely question it, no matter how silly he plays himself off to be. As for his entourage, he expects most people to treat them the same way they'd treat him, or his sister, and woe betide the poor idiot who doesn't, when he already challenges people to duels, for fun. In a more serious, canon-following scenario, though, if you aren't the first Rogue Trader in your line, one often imagines that the other characters in your game are the people of important families, allied with your dynasty, and they should be expecting a lot of the same pomp you get; this is partly how I feel they explain "the Rogue Trader is in charge of everything, but they AREN'T necessarily in charge of the other players! These august personages are a cut above the rest of the people who serve his/her dynasty, and those the Rogue Trader demonstrates a certain degree of real trust, so much as any one of such a position of power can really afford to trust." They are among the best available at what they do, or have been actual friends with their dynast, as (s)he grew up. Otherwise, if you are just someone I picked up, who happens to be good with some guns, do you really have any say? I'm basically an Inquisitor, and you an acolyte, at that point, and I can just liquidate you whenever I think it's important. If you are a PC, and not the Rogue Trader, you are expected to be someone important, either to the line (your family), or the dynast (the RT), and that should count for something.

What I'm getting at is, if you maybe look at it from a European noble bent, anyone who serves so highly in a dynasty (a Player Character), is probably at least the equivalent of a knight, and they garner respect from the nobles, too, as they are made by the royalty. They don't own land, or hold sway over a craft, trade, or industry (other than war/protection), but they are above the comon rabble, and must be shown the proper respect. If your Rogue Trader is a scoundrel, say you serve Krawkin Feckward, or Djanko Scourge, then you might have some trouble garnering respect for who you serve, regardless of the prestige of your family, but then, so will your friendly High Factotum, as she catches flak for serving such a low, vile man as Feckward (I have no idea what type your overseeing Rogue Trader is, so I'm just making something up ;) ). Depending on who's whom, and how you got to where you are, you might not be much less noble than her, and if her nobility only extends to one planet, there's a lot of space where that won't matter, while "serving the august Dragon, Lord-Captain Aedan Qel-Drake" might carry across a sector, and a half, which you would both share, equally.

As for "getting in", you will be a bit limited; once you weren't born into it, you're kind of screwed. It's possible, but, as said above, there will always be those who don't show you the proper respect, no matter who you married, how much you paid, or what service you rendered. "You, a commoner, befriended the Princess, as a child, saved the kingdom from a terrible plot, 15 years later, and killed the dragon with that holy sword? Well, I still don't know if you should be allowed to marry the Princess." comes to mind, and you might only be allowed to be Prince Consort, rather than King, due to your low birth, while she rules as Queen, and the people scoff that there isn't a powerful, blooded man on the throne. Even some Queens, in our times, have not been viewed favorably, due to their mundane heritage, and they were the Crown Monarch of a 1st world country, and NOT in a work of fiction; sometimes even viewed this way by fellow commoners.

if it makes you feel any better, maybe a scandal will hit the HF's blessed family, and then the fallout will quiet her down. Lowlies, like you, and I, can weather such things oh so much better than bluebloods can. ;)

thank you both for your valuable and extensive input. Its much appreciated.

Some background. The RT got his title cause he brought down a powerful chaos aligned pirate in the koronus expanse. At the time he was a privateer. As it happen there was a REALLY powerful house that got a bit too powerful and through extensive political play and the influence of an inquisitor, that RT was brought down. His dynasty stripped and hit warrant of trade passed on to the current 'hero of the expanse', who hence became an RT. The AM was selected through solicitation on Port Wander. I can't remember how the HF got tight into service.

The group thus started out as a really low power house (IRC PF 20) with a very strong flag ship (the only ship though at the time).

Due to the BG of the RT they chose the path of 'heroism' (with a HF much more focussed on attaining wealth and an AM only focussed on weapons :D ). They've by now made their name accross the Koronus and especially the AM is already seen as a legendary figure due to the battles she has overcome. They've made some enemies, nice political ties and are currently doing quite well (PF is now 47 IRC) have a couple of ships, trade routes and one assassin house after them due to a contract, Pissed off Nurgle personally so that he has taken a direct interest in screwing them over and made a strong pact with the Eldar. This due to the fact that the AM (who is half Eldar half Human, in vitro created by a scientist who likes to experiment, however very few now this for a fact) picked up a shard of Isha and gave birth to an aspect of Isha, with all merit and **** that comes down with it :D . (Hence Nurgles personal scorn).

And thus they've drawn the (negative) interest of the Ecclesiarchy (who have suspicions, but not actual prove) and both positive and negative interest of a couple of inquisitors. There's a lot more going on though. E.g. the HF figured out that her sister (who has a warrant of trade) might NOT actually have the rightfully claim and the Pilot also appears to have ties to an old RT family... then they have received a small intricate box from eldar and some necrons who have shown a particular interest in that box (although they don't know of the existence of the necrons, just that some alien, metal skeletons are looking for them). And thats about half the plots going on currently :D . Big fun!!

They've just finished a campaign so they can pick up after one of these plot lines and focus once again on their personal goals...like becoming noble.

Again much thanks for the thoughts. It helps. If you have anything to add...don't hesitate.

Regardless of how your AM earns their title, the perfect ending of that interpersonal conflict goes something like:

[AM] "Hah! Now I'm a Baron, you twit!"

[HF] "I'm glad for you, but it really wasn't necessary. You had my utmost respect when you saved Norwal IV from that horde of Rak'Gol seven missions ago. Welcome to the club, though."

thank you both for your valuable and extensive input. Its much appreciated.

Some background. The RT got his title cause he brought down a powerful chaos aligned pirate in the koronus expanse. At the time he was a privateer. As it happen there was a REALLY powerful house that got a bit too powerful and through extensive political play and the influence of an inquisitor, that RT was brought down. His dynasty stripped and hit warrant of trade passed on to the current 'hero of the expanse', who hence became an RT. The AM was selected through solicitation on Port Wander. I can't remember how the HF got tight into service.

The group thus started out as a really low power house (IRC PF 20) with a very strong flag ship (the only ship though at the time).

Due to the BG of the RT they chose the path of 'heroism' (with a HF much more focussed on attaining wealth and an AM only focussed on weapons :D ). They've by now made their name accross the Koronus and especially the AM is already seen as a legendary figure due to the battles she has overcome. They've made some enemies, nice political ties and are currently doing quite well (PF is now 47 IRC) have a couple of ships, trade routes and one assassin house after them due to a contract, Pissed off Nurgle personally so that he has taken a direct interest in screwing them over and made a strong pact with the Eldar. This due to the fact that the AM (who is half Eldar half Human, in vitro created by a scientist who likes to experiment, however very few now this for a fact) picked up a shard of Isha and gave birth to an aspect of Isha, with all merit and **** that comes down with it :D . (Hence Nurgles personal scorn).

And thus they've drawn the (negative) interest of the Ecclesiarchy (who have suspicions, but not actual prove) and both positive and negative interest of a couple of inquisitors. There's a lot more going on though. E.g. the HF figured out that her sister (who has a warrant of trade) might NOT actually have the rightfully claim and the Pilot also appears to have ties to an old RT family... then they have received a small intricate box from eldar and some necrons who have shown a particular interest in that box (although they don't know of the existence of the necrons, just that some alien, metal skeletons are looking for them). And thats about half the plots going on currently :D . Big fun!!

They've just finished a campaign so they can pick up after one of these plot lines and focus once again on their personal goals...like becoming noble.

Again much thanks for the thoughts. It helps. If you have anything to add...don't hesitate.