Old starter decks (premium starters)

By Arma virumque2, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying some old starter decks, and can't find detailed information on them. Perhaps an experienced player can answer some questions:

1. According to the product description, the Ice & Fire Premium Starter Deck has decks for Targaryen and Greyjoy. Are these the same as the decks available singly as "Ice & Fire Starter Deck: Targaryen" and "Ice & Fire Starter Deck: Greyjoy"?
  2. What is the difference between the "Winter Edition Starter Deck" and the "Winter Edition Premium Starter Pack"?
  3. EDIT: Same question about the "Valyrian Edition Starter Pack" and the "Valyrian Premium Starter Pack"

Finally, are the premium starter packs reasonably balanced against each other, or are there some that I should avoid because of balance issues?

Thanks in advance!

I can't help with the ice and fire quesations as i never had any interaction with those cards, but i can tell you the difference in the winter/val primium vs regular starter.

The regular starter is much smaller and while it has some fixed cards alaos has some random cards. The premiuim starter has two fully playable decks and they are not random nor an random cards in the packs. As for the balance issues, i don't think one is glaringly betyter then the other deck in either case. I would say that the winter starter is better put together then the valerian one as the valerian uses treaties to squeeze 4 houses into 2 decks.

Arma virumque said:

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of buying some old starter decks, and can't find detailed information on them. Perhaps an experienced player can answer some questions:

1. According to the product description, the Ice & Fire Premium Starter Deck has decks for Targaryen and Greyjoy. Are these the same as the decks available singly as "Ice & Fire Starter Deck: Targaryen" and "Ice & Fire Starter Deck: Greyjoy"?
  2. What is the difference between the "Winter Edition Starter Deck" and the "Winter Edition Premium Starter Pack"?
  3. EDIT: Same question about the "Valyrian Edition Starter Pack" and the "Valyrian Premium Starter Pack"

Finally, are the premium starter packs reasonably balanced against each other, or are there some that I should avoid because of balance issues?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome, my friend :-)

You can find lots of answers (cards list, spoilers and so on) here: http://tzumainn.com/agot/

It's a wonderful fan site and the biggest help you can have to start.

Cheers.

Lars said:

I can't help with the ice and fire quesations as i never had any interaction with those cards, but i can tell you the difference in the winter/val primium vs regular starter.

The regular starter is much smaller and while it has some fixed cards alaos has some random cards. The premiuim starter has two fully playable decks and they are not random nor an random cards in the packs. As for the balance issues, i don't think one is glaringly betyter then the other deck in either case. I would say that the winter starter is better put together then the valerian one as the valerian uses treaties to squeeze 4 houses into 2 decks.

Thanks for your help. Based on what you said, I think I'll stick with the premium starters, since I really am looking just for cheap, playable-out-of-the-box decks. It sounds like the other two are a little too random for out-of-the-box playability.

Note that as of Iron Throne, the "starters" took on the "premium starter" format. So the Iron Throne Starter Set (Stark vs. Lannister, most people felt in favor of Stark) and Five Kings Starter Set (Stark vs. Targaryen, most people felt with a slight advantage for Targ) are also pre-made, fixed, out-of-the-box 2-player games.

Thanks for watching out for me. Luckily I figured that wrinkle out before I placed my order last night. I managed to pick up a whole bunch of starters at a good discount from the FFG online store, which I'm feeling pretty happy about.

For the record, the FFG Holiday Sale was publicized as running through midnight December 9 (Central Standard Time, U.S.A.). I interpreted that to mean the end of the day on December 9 (today), but since the sale is no longer running, I guess FFG interpreted that to mean the beginning of the day. Must be a different interpretation of which day "midnight" falls in, I suppose. Ktom, do you have a ruling to document the "Customer Action Window" within the "Sale Phase"? happy.gif

well 12 a.m. (midnight) is the start of the day. I was thinking about that yesterday and i too thought, well i have till tuesday night...glad i double checked :)