Rune Age high finally winding down

By Budgernaut, in Rune Age

My wife and I love to play Rune Age for the cooperative scenarios. Unfortunately, we feel that the Resurgence of the Dragonlords scenario is still a little too easy, even with the expansion. That means we usually play The Cataclysm. Usually we'll play 2-3 games when we decide to play and will win at least one of them. Recently, we played 6 or 7 games over the course of 3 nights and didn't win. Finally we beat the scenario on our third night. That's just the way these games go -- I understand that. Unfortunately, it's left a sour taste in my wife's mouth. She sees the game as overly luck dependent now. You only win the game if you happen to draw the right cards from your deck, happen to draw the event deck cards in the right order, and draw decent starting cities. She's now all but lost interest in the game.

It's sad for me because she's really not a gamer, so cooperative games like this are the only ones she is willing to play with me since she doesn't have to get beaten by a hardcore gamer. But it looks like Rune Age has run its course and it will just be a solo game from now until the foreseeable future.

It might depend on which faction you are playing as some of them require more time to setup and Cataclysm is unrelenting. Personally I play little Rune Age lately as I feel it needs more content, but still enjoy to crack it out for 4 players.

For cooperative game nothing beats Lord of the Rings LCG which I play with my girlfriend. It might be expensive, but it is worth it.

It might depend on which faction you are playing as some of them require more time to setup and Cataclysm is unrelenting. Personally I play little Rune Age lately as I feel it needs more content, but still enjoy to crack it out for 4 players.

For cooperative game nothing beats Lord of the Rings LCG which I play with my girlfriend. It might be expensive, but it is worth it.

Thanks for the response.

She usually plays Dwarves because she likes the Guardian as a safety net against the attrition die.

We had LotR LCG, but I sold it after Khazad-Dum because I felt the way my wife now feels about this game: choices don't matter as much as top decking the right cards at the right time.

factions are indeed a huge factor of victory. Depending on what type of scenario you are playing your faction will be more or less efficient. For coop scenarios the 2 best ones are Orcs and dwarves. You can't honestly lose with that ones. Then elves and undeads are pretty though to play in coop mode. On the contrary undead are a nightmare in pvp game.

As a matter of fact if you can't build your deck on your lore you ll have to build it with money. So that 3 lore Cities are helpfull but not a must have to win.