Contacting Runebound?

By TinkerOoze, in Runebound

Does anyone happen to know a way to contact the Runebound team to suggest content for future expansions?

As openly written on this very website ( here ), FFG is not accepting this kind of projects:

Fantasy Flight Games does not accept unsolicited game design or development submissions, or unsolicited writing submissions. We do not allow unsolicited visitors to our offices. Please notify us in advance if you wish to stop by.

You may want to post your custom creations in the forum, for everyone to enjoy, tho.

Edited by Julia

As openly written on this very website ( here ), FFG is not accepting this kind of projects:

Fantasy Flight Games does not accept unsolicited game design or development submissions, or unsolicited writing submissions. We do not allow unsolicited visitors to our offices. Please notify us in advance if you wish to stop by.

You may want to post your custom creations in the forum, for everyone to enjoy, tho.

So how are you suppossed to contact them if you want them to publish a design of yours? Forget Runebound for a minute, doesn't this lock out fresh ideas?

Okay I guess I will post my idea here. It is still just a concept in my head. I call it “the tinkering expansion.” This expansion would introduce a gnome hero character that focuses on making and using gadgets and devices that they themselves have designed. I.E. the tinkerer background that gnomes can choose in the D&D rules. Basically a craftsman who makes contraptions and trinkets to aid themselves and their allies in combat. Furthermore, the expansion could also introduce a dwarf engineer who more modern weaponry. The monsters for the expansion could be constructs made by the tinkering gnomes and dwarves that have gone rogue. Or possibly they are the creations of an evil gnome/dwarf. Heck, even goblins have traditionally been tinkerers in fantasy lore, maybe a goblin could have created these walking contraptions of doom. Now I am fully aware that Runebound is set in a fantasy realm; however, many fantasy settings have helped to further flesh out their worlds by having some races be more technologically inclined than others. This has historically been dwarves, goblins, and gnomes. I would love to see this introduced into an already amazing game.

So how are you suppossed to contact them if you want them to publish a design of yours? Forget Runebound for a minute, doesn't this lock out fresh ideas?

You don't. You need to start like anyone else, going to conventions to make contacts with other publishers and present them a working prototype (no company will hire you on the basis "hey, I got an idea" unless you're a big name in the industry yourself, like a Wallace or a Knizia) and you work the ladder all the way up to the big publishers. In the whole FFG catalogue there are only a couple of items that were fan-designed (two PoD for Talisman and one expansion for Cosmic Encounter) but if you look at the name of the authors, you'll see people who already worked on these games as testers and so on since a very long time.

It's the very same in the literary world: you can't go to Viking saying "hey, read my book, it's good". You'll be needing a literary agent vouching that your book has some qualities and have a lot of luck.

True that this can mean that good ideas never see the light; but consider for a while what being a lead producer in a sector means. If they had a different policy, they'll be snowed under with people sending them their designs, ideas and creations; and possibly there will be people "cheating", like when something's published, they'll say "hey, this was my idea, I sent them a draft a year ago!" and go to court for rights and royalties. By closing their doors immediately, they shut down all of this, and I can't, but approve.

Additionally, there are people responsible for developing each and every line the company has in catalogue, and they have already an overpacked agenda that investing time in checking other people's idea doesn't sound good to me (especially because most of the ideas are usually not the brilliant because they come from people who love the game, but don't have a game designing background, so that they actually don't see the main flaws or the non-feasibility of their proposals).

The best way to help developing a game is volunteering as testers; in that way you'll be in direct contact with game designers and developers and possibly some ideas could be taken into account, but it's not something to bet your house on, and working as tester is a lot more demanding that most people think.

You don't. You need to start like anyone else, going to conventions to make contacts with other publishers and present them a working prototype (no company will hire you on the basis "hey, I got an idea" unless you're a big name in the industry yourself, like a Wallace or a Knizia) and you work the ladder all the way up to the big publishers. In the whole FFG catalogue there are only a couple of items that were fan-designed (two PoD for Talisman and one expansion for Cosmic Encounter) but if you look at the name of the authors, you'll see people who already worked on these games as testers and so on since a very long time.

It's the very same in the literary world: you can't go to Viking saying "hey, read my book, it's good". You'll be needing a literary agent vouching that your book has some qualities and have a lot of luck.

True that this can mean that good ideas never see the light; but consider for a while what being a lead producer in a sector means. If they had a different policy, they'll be snowed under with people sending them their designs, ideas and creations; and possibly there will be people "cheating", like when something's published, they'll say "hey, this was my idea, I sent them a draft a year ago!" and go to court for rights and royalties. By closing their doors immediately, they shut down all of this, and I can't, but approve.

Additionally, there are people responsible for developing each and every line the company has in catalogue, and they have already an overpacked agenda that investing time in checking other people's idea doesn't sound good to me (especially because most of the ideas are usually not the brilliant because they come from people who love the game, but don't have a game designing background, so that they actually don't see the main flaws or the non-feasibility of their proposals).

The best way to help developing a game is volunteering as testers; in that way you'll be in direct contact with game designers and developers and possibly some ideas could be taken into account, but it's not something to bet your house on, and working as tester is a lot more demanding that most people think.

All good points. I guess I see what you are saying.

And yeah, playtesting is demanding. I have experience playtesting Ashes. I would playtest for FFG, but not allowed (darn rules), so PHG is next best.

Yeah, I remembered you tested Ashes (must try that game, sooner or later). Still not so sure I got your final point: you're not allowed to test for another company if you're testing Ashes? Sounds rather unfair to me. I understand they want to protect the "secret" of the new games, but you should already be NDAed, right? Isn't this enough? Asking because a good friend of mine works as rules editor for several companies, and never had a problem with this

Yeah, I remembered you tested Ashes (must try that game, sooner or later). Still not so sure I got your final point: you're not allowed to test for another company if you're testing Ashes? Sounds rather unfair to me. I understand they want to protect the "secret" of the new games, but you should already be NDAed, right? Isn't this enough? Asking because a good friend of mine works as rules editor for several companies, and never had a problem with this

Sorry, should have clarified. Not allowed to test for FFG cause I'm not 18 yet. ;)

Also, got interrupted before I could finish. It is too bad that the game industry has those parallels with the writing industry. My dad's a writer, and so I know very well the unfairness of the writing world (you either have to be rich or really lucky, as good books are dime a dozen), but its too bad that that is true with games as well. Though money doesn't buy you in as much it would seem, so luck really is the key thing here. That and having a good game design. (duh.) :P

Edited by Toenail

A lot of good points here.

And there I was thinking the process was to avoid all that hard work and do a kickstarter instead.

Going KS is actually a great solution. Sorry that I didn't think about it in my previous point. Only problem: you can't KS a RB expansion, must be something original

Sorry, should have clarified. Not allowed to test for FFG cause I'm not 18 yet. ;)

But it's legal for you to test for other companies? Curious, at least

Sorry for the editorial mess. It must not be easy

But it's legal for you to test for other companies? Curious, at least

Sorry for the editorial mess. It must not be easy

PHG is 16+, and my State Law is 14+ for labor. So it gets by.