Questions about Dragon Hunting side quest possible spoilers

By Drakthal, in Road to Legend

Hi everyone

So in Dragon Hunting you go through these small maps where each time you get past one, you remove the map, create a new one, and remove all conditions from heroes. We player with a champion and therefore i got wondering, whether the Champion valor tokens is a condition. Would these get removed by entering a new map? Furthermore do they get removed when a hero is knocked out?

Furthermore if for example Challara is in the team, what happens if her dragon familiar is alive when you change maps, and what happens if it is dead when you change maps? Do you just let it stay dead, if its dead, and spawn it on the new map if it is alive? And what about other minions like the different familiars?

Best regard Drakthal

Valor tokens are not a condition (and they don't get removed when a hero is knocked out).

All familiars should be moved over to the new map much like other heroes.

The biggest issue I've had with this map is that typically when I'm playing it, the hero who triggers the transition is the last to move, having waited for the other heroes to clean up the mooks first, which means I'm typically entering a new map with no activations ready to go :(

The transition for the new part it's the same as opening a door, never do without activations left.

The Challara familiar stay dead. It's not a new encounter and you need use the heroic feat to respawn again.

I need check some rules for the familiars in that case.

Edited by kraisto

The transition for the new part it's the same as opening a door, never do without activations left.

Haha I hear that! The catch with this quest is that it spawns new mooks which lower your chance of testing to exit ... usually leaving you with one character to search and bring everyone through.

Anyone find this quest a little annoying? In a 2 character game, we entered the final area and spawned the dragon. The dragon then activated, making a double move towards us. We were pinned in the starting tile, meaning all our attacks had to have a surge to do damage an no other spawns in the area could attack us.

It resulted in a 30+ minute fight where we either kept missing or only did 1-2 damage. Eventually we got knocked out and lost the quest. I get that it was supposed to be an epic dragon fight, but with just constantly rolling dice for a best result to do little damage, mitigating damage on us, we were really bored.

I thought maybe we did something wrong, but we felt we couldn't pass through the monster's occupied spaces.

Anyone find this quest a little annoying? In a 2 character game, we entered the final area and spawned the dragon. The dragon then activated, making a double move towards us. We were pinned in the starting tile, meaning all our attacks had to have a surge to do damage an no other spawns in the area could attack us.

It resulted in a 30+ minute fight where we either kept missing or only did 1-2 damage. Eventually we got knocked out and lost the quest. I get that it was supposed to be an epic dragon fight, but with just constantly rolling dice for a best result to do little damage, mitigating damage on us, we were really bored.

I thought maybe we did something wrong, but we felt we couldn't pass through the monster's occupied spaces.

:P Edited by kraisto

So, you expanded the dragon in the heroes direction ? It's not a wise move :P . Second, you can put your heroes in any of the four squares in the the entrance tile at a beggining or quest transiction. If one of the heroes were placed in the position in front of the arrow for example, u could have easily moved diagonally.

The last hero to go in the round moved to the quest marker, then performed the test to go to the next tile group. We set up the final tile layout and placed our figures. We then were told to place the dragon. We had no idea what was coming, so why would we set up our characters in a straight line? We ended that character's turn. Since the dragon didn't act yet, it was activated with the actions to engage the closest hero and attack. So the dragon moved twice and then was activated again. So before we did anything...there it was, right on top of us.

So, you expanded the dragon in the heroes direction ? It's not a wise move :P . Second, you can put your heroes in any of the four squares in the the entrance tile at a beggining or quest transiction. If one of the heroes were placed in the position in front of the arrow for example, u could have easily moved diagonally.

The last hero to go in the round moved to the quest marker, then performed the test to go to the next tile group. We set up the final tile layout and placed our figures. We then were told to place the dragon. We had no idea what was coming, so why would we set up our characters in a straight line? We ended that character's turn. Since the dragon didn't act yet, it was activated with the actions to engage the closest hero and attack. So the dragon moved twice and then was activated again. So before we did anything...there it was, right on top of us.

I've had similar problems with this quest too... if it's a Shadow Dragon, it will close range to the heroes, which does not trap them per se as they can move diagonally, however, other monsters will come in from the sides and block the "diagonal escape route" of the heroes on the start square.

I have had this level give a Crypt Dragon, which (having a ranged attack), kept itself away from the entrance and made for a better final combat.

I also played this quest with 2 heroes. It was the only quest I had a hero KO'd so far, and yes, it was also due to getting surrounded on entrance tile.

Howerver, you have four tiles to place the two heroes on. Placing them in front ones makes you able to escape diagonally. I have eventually moved one hero behind the dragon (it was the hero to survive), the other one was just hitting the dragon with melee attacks and eventually got surrounded by three additional fire imps that spawned.

The fight isn't as long as someone described, unless you have a slow tank-party, which means you would be slow at every combat encounter. You need some piercing or weakness to successfully beat it - the goal is to do it fast as his two activations + spawning of open group will get you overrun in few turns.

-zxql

You need some piercing or weakness to successfully beat it

-zxql

My game proved If you don't get the surges to spend...all the pierce in the world isn't going to help you.