Idealists in the Calixis

By van Riebeeck, in Dark Heresy

Would any of you know which world was ravaged by civil strife caused by an idealist movement demanding what we would call basic human rights for its population? They had the silly idea the Imperium was there for its inhabitants rather than vice versa.

Are you perhaps referring to Tranch? That one was a mutant rebellion, but it might still be more appropriate to your question as mutant suppression is incentivised by the Imperium (via the Ministorum), whereas "basic human rights" is more or less up to the local government (the Imperium doesn't care as long as the tithes are paid).

what we would call basic human rights for its population

In fact the Imperium as a whole impose some limited set of rules/obligations on its planets and their population. These are

- do not worship Chaos or have any dealings with known enemies of the Imperium

- pay the Tithe

- do not enter into deals with the aliens

- all psykers must be either granted Emperor's mercy or turned over to the Black Ships

as long as these rules are followed, the Adeptus Terra allow a world in question to have it's own culture, laws and type of government.

So a planetary government could have a system of guaranteed personal rights for it's citizens. However, if one draws the attention of the Imperium, little rights are available generally. For example, an inquisitor typically have the power to judge and execute any Imperial citizen on spot (however, this should be noted that 99.9% of Imperial population may never met an inquisitor in person during their lifetimes) and even in Adeptus Arbitres proceedings the accused will usually not be entitled to defense counsel or have the right to appeal sentence handed out by one of the Arbitres judges).

Not Tranch. I seem to remember that a planet in the Drusus Marches revolted with ideals resembling those of the French Revolution. But I might be mistaken.

I can't find anything for the Drusus Marches that fits that, just scanning descriptions in the Encyclopaedia Calixia. I do remember a section in BoJ about the Governor Vess revolting for the good of his planet? I can't recall what planet it is though.

~ alemander

I can't find anything for the Drusus Marches that fits that, just scanning descriptions in the Encyclopaedia Calixia. I do remember a section in BoJ about the Governor Vess revolting for the good of his planet? I can't recall what planet it is though.

It is in Ascension, not BoJ. P.199-200. He is a governor of Zweihan's World, but his rebellion is not about "idealism"...

Thanks all, I have probably mistaken myself. Imagine, idealism! Blessed is the mind to small for doubt.

but his rebellion is not about "idealism"

In fact his rebellion IS about idealism. As far as info from Encyclopaedia Calixia is correct, governor Malaki Vess isn't a motivated by heretical notions (that is Chaos worship), nor his rebellion is for sake of increasing his own wealth and(or) power, his rebellion is about averting Zweihan's World's population's lives utterly ruined.

In fact his rebellion IS about idealism.

" Idealism " was mentioned in the same sense in which it was mentioned by topicstarter.