So instead of letting your playgroup die......

By Da_ghetto_gamer, in UFS General Discussion

Why dont you actually get out and find some new players. Yeah alot of people have tried this before but i think that there is alot of people out there who have never even heard of this game and if they did they would probably play, and since the game is(from a design standpoint) just as good as it was in its primetime its the best time to get people interested.

Heres to a thread talking about ways to get players into the game and not out of it......if youve had success stories of getting players involved in the game please share and maybe someone else could take some tips from you.

Hold some kind of demo day at your shop where all of your players can make it....promote it at your local college, high schools, wherever else you think there might be potential gamers and see what kind of turnout you get....some people might be suprised.

We almost had 8 people at our tourney yesterday so i think things might be turning around for us and i hope that the same can be said for other groups around the world

Yes, very very yes

Take it from someone else who has also done this. It works. 100%. If you actually ask people whether they'd fancy trying a new game, more often than not they'll say yes. Try a local games club that plays Magic or Yugioh and play the infiltrating game :P I've got a Yugi deck and a Magic deck now which people have built for me, because I've helped people to do the same for UFS. You see? Everyone wins :D

The michigan playgroup has regained quite a few old vetrans and a few new players here and there. I honestly don't know how people think the game is dying when everyone keeps saying "our playgroup has gotten bigger". Although I am sure that is not the case everywhere but it seems to be happening at a lot of places.

Actually I recently bought a huge amount of the new set, so I have enough commons and uncommons to rule the world. I might just make a few demo decks with the commons if I feel like it.

guitalex2008 said:

Actually I recently bought a huge amount of the new set, so I have enough commons and uncommons to rule the world. I might just make a few demo decks with the commons if I feel like it.

It would be better then nothing at least if i hadnt of lost my binder id probably try and do the same thing for my playgroup but as it is im barely making decks to satisfy my own needs

Also getting players in now means they can take advantage of all the new sales and promotions going on more cards into your playgroup the better it is for everyone involved

How about a regular Common Grounds tournament w/ promo characters also disallowed...

Top decks could be remade from the "regulars'" extra (un)commons and kept on hand to let newbs pilot (or just be donated). I'd certainly be willing to donate cards to somethign like that.

tannerface said:

The michigan playgroup has regained quite a few old vetrans and a few new players here and there. I honestly don't know how people think the game is dying when everyone keeps saying "our playgroup has gotten bigger". Although I am sure that is not the case everywhere but it seems to be happening at a lot of places.

It's just not happening everywhere - Smart money says that those who lack confidence in the game and the company also lack confidence in the viability of their playgroup.

I didn't just actually let my playgroup die, I actually murdered them.

Just said "**** it." and started going at them with a sword and shield. It sucks, but that's a part of the game.

/sarcasm

Yeah, Hanover's playgroup went from 4 to 11.

Shaneth said:

Yeah, Hanover's playgroup went from 4 to 11.

Were getting 6 regularly again which is better the the 4 that we did have but i still think we could get more

A bunch of folks at work just started playing magic again... and for kicks I dug out some old decks, and played with them.

It's super casual play, with cards ranging from all over the place, and very ummm "economic" decks.

The other day I said "Hey guys... I'd really love some more folks to play UFS with... if I brought in some demo decks and showed you how to play, anyone want to give it a try?"

So grabbed a half dozen demo decks from our shop, brought them into work today... and after much demoing, one guy is taking cards home to show his wife how to play, so they'll have a game to play at home. Another guy was asking if he could have another 5 or 6 demo decks to show his friends. Then asking "So... where can I buy the cards for the game?"

I'm bringing a 2000 count box of chaff commons and uncommons in to work tomorrow along with a pile of characters so folks can start building decks and smashing one another.

It's very much casual play. It's very much legacy. But I think I may have just found a half dozen new players... it's a start.

I grabbed what was left of the demo decks from the charlottesville play group and handed a few of them out to some interested friends at my college. They all are old magic players and really liked how the game handled. Also it was a major plus to them when I showed them the sales FFG was having as well as how cheap it was to buy boxes and singles on that site with cool stuff. Apparently magic is super expensive or was when they played, and so it was amazing for them to see UR's going for average of 8 or 9 bucks each.

Christmas break has kinda left us without a chance to get together and play more, which is probably hurting my chances of getting them hooked, but I've had two guys tell me when they get money from christmas they are interested in buying some cards and making a deck.

Hopefully once I get one or two the rest will follow.

I also see a lot of potential in recruiting from Anime clubs and other such video game enthusiasm clubs around my college and I would recommend that as a good way to recruit. I wish FFG would put out some more recent demo decks however, as it seems like most people trying to draw in more players are doing it on their own dime for FFG which is a lot to ask on top of the time commitment required.

The biggest challenge I've had around Richmond where I'm in school is that, first off for some reason there is a lack of game and hobby shops, which is strange, and in the one or two I've checked out the employee's have been super ****** bag geeks and tell me they only stock magic cards because that is the only thing people are interested in around here. So unless I do a tremendous job of promoting UFS at one of these stores It is going to be hard to find a shop that will sponser UFS events.

Lately my playgrioup has been left to lanquish as i have been unable to sync up my life with card playing... it just keep getting more and more out of sync. Fridays are typically shot I tutor someone that night, and then there's the obligatory hang out with girlfriend when she gets off of her shift. Saturdays I and her work until 5, so that's our meet up and hang out time, same on sunday. So that's pretty much all of the primse gaming time, barring weekday nights, which I and the lady work until 7 or 8.

Gaming is for people that don't work mid to mid-late day shifts, or aren't wimps and can do things over night (and in the latter case wouldn't be much help to a playgroup at a store).

Lunatiq said:

The biggest challenge I've had around Richmond where I'm in school is that, first off for some reason there is a lack of game and hobby shops, which is strange, and in the one or two I've checked out the employee's have been super ****** bag geeks and tell me they only stock magic cards because that is the only thing people are interested in around here. So unless I do a tremendous job of promoting UFS at one of these stores It is going to be hard to find a shop that will sponser UFS events.

Silly question, mate, but are you here on the West Coast?

vermillian said:

Lately my playgrioup has been left to lanquish as i have been unable to sync up my life with card playing... it just keep getting more and more out of sync. Fridays are typically shot I tutor someone that night, and then there's the obligatory hang out with girlfriend when she gets off of her shift. Saturdays I and her work until 5, so that's our meet up and hang out time, same on sunday. So that's pretty much all of the primse gaming time, barring weekday nights, which I and the lady work until 7 or 8.

Gaming is for people that don't work mid to mid-late day shifts, or aren't wimps and can do things over night (and in the latter case wouldn't be much help to a playgroup at a store).

My girlfriend is quite understanding, and I take one night a week to go run league / tournament. One night with the guys a week Verm - it's healthy for the long term relationship - you know it!

RockStar said:

Lunatiq said:

guitalex2008 said:

RockStar said:

Lunatiq said:

It could also be Richmond, VA over here in the East Coast lol

It is since he was also talkin about charlottesville which is also in VA

There was a playgroup in VA beach, and in Yorktown i dont know how far away that is from you but you could check it out i have no idea if they still play

Antigoth said:

vermillian said:

My girlfriend is quite understanding, and I take one night a week to go run league / tournament. One night with the guys a week Verm - it's healthy for the long term relationship - you know it!

The girlfriend is not the problem, its our driving/carpooling situation, hunger demands, and work shifts that are a concern. Thank you for belittling my girlfriend, and my apologies to her if I made it sound out like it was her fault. :P

vermillian said:

The girlfriend is not the problem, its our driving/carpooling situation, hunger demands, and work shifts that are a concern. Thank you for belittling my girlfriend, and my apologies to her if I made it sound out like it was her fault. :P

Dude... I was trying to be playful. If you felt I belittled your girlfriend, then you have my deepest apologies.

As for everything else you've described... dude... seriously... we should compare notes.

Only difference is for me, when I work weekends I normally work 1430-2300, which kills more weekend gaming then you'd know, and when I'm not working nights my shifts are 1200-2030.

My playgroup agreed that Tuesdays work the best for us, so I try and have my regular day off fall on Tuesdays.

Antigoth said:

vermillian said:

Dude... I was trying to be playful. If you felt I belittled your girlfriend, then you have my deepest apologies.

As for everything else you've described... dude... seriously... we should compare notes.

Only difference is for me, when I work weekends I normally work 1430-2300, which kills more weekend gaming then you'd know, and when I'm not working nights my shifts are 1200-2030.

My playgroup agreed that Tuesdays work the best for us, so I try and have my regular day off fall on Tuesdays.

I know there are worse scheduals, its just I can never seem to line anything up with the 4 guys around here that are still interested in playing... we still have Friday as our night, but the MtG players around here have already taken a look at our game, and besides.... again.... I'm not consistently around to have a consistent night that we all meet to play. THAT will really kill a game... Anyone in CBus OH want to take over running UFS events? ... no? ...

RockStar said:

Lunatiq said:

Yeah it's Richmond, VA.

about topic, how could i save something that was already dead at first?

*waiting for hatman's hillarious comment*

Admiral Ren said:

CPR / Necromancy

Antigoth said:

Admiral Ren said:

CPR / Necromancy

The second one more than the first. I fully suspect they were zombies. UFS "playing" zombies, but zombies. If you thought the forums were bad...

vermillian said:

Fridays are typically shot I tutor someone that night, and then there's the obligatory hang out with girlfriend when she gets off of her shift. Saturdays I and her work until 5, so that's our meet up and hang out time, same on sunday.

I taught a former girlfriend as well as a ____-buddy how to play, and they both thoroughly enjoyed it. That former ex had her first UFS experience at a pre-release using nothing more than a Twelve starter that had been modified by 3 packs of Extreme Rivals. She was half-awake, deeply sick with a cold and runny nose, but wound up top 8ing with a 3 win 1 loss record, and could've won the whole thing but ended up losing in her first top 8 round, finishing her in 5th place.

Trust me, it can only help to ask. I've found that anybody, regardless of age, gender, etc, will absolutely love the game after playing a few matches and getting the cadence of the game. A friend of mine only has an Astrid starter, as well as some cards from when he and I split the Fight Life Kit, and already he has Death Yoshi and Fire Astrid (which he sides into Mitsu lol) which are both very good.