Priest with Flail of Blood

By Drfredirk, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hi. I've always enjoyed this forum for all my Talisman rules questions over the years, but I've finally come up with a question no one has addressed in the past, so I went ahead and created an account in.

With Harbinger, the Priest drew the Flail of Blood. As a cursed object, he obviously has to carry it with him, but there is a dispute about what happens in battle. Which takes presedence, the Flail's "you must roll 2 dice in battle" or the Priest's "you may not use any weapon in battle"? Adding to the confusion, the Priest disription in Talisman:Prologue says "cannot use a weapon in battle", a more strongly-worded denial than "may not".

The Priest can carry any weapon as long as it is not prohibited by his alignment (Having and Using Cards - p16). Restrictions take precedence over orders (Can vs. Cannot - p15), therefore in your example the Priest may not use the Flail in battle, as it is a Weapon!

Edited by talismanamsilat

Thanks. Good to know that Must vs May Not is resloved similar to Can vs Cannot.

Do we have to use this cursed weapon in battle ?
>> As the text says : "You must roll 2 dice.. >> .. whenever you engage in battle ?

Then Flail of blood is sticked to our hands whenever we engage in battle ?

Edited by stranigie
On 30. 3. 2018 at 11:51 PM, stranigie said:

Do we have to use this cursed weapon in battle ?
>> As the text says : "You must roll 2 dice.. >> .. whenever you engage in battle ?

Then Flail of blood is sticked to our hands whenever we engage in battle ?

Yes, if you are not a Priest :)

The Priest cannot use any Weapon in battle, period.