Perfect Memory vs Committing Attacks in the cardpool.

By aslum, in UFS Rules Q & A

I block w/ The Strength Within. My opponent attacks again and enhances w/ Perfect Memory. Can he use the enhances on TSW? I assume he'd have to be playing a character w/ Fire to use the second (or have a POTM in play). But can he even commit his attack for the cost? The current AGR suggests the answer is no. Egyptian Temple and the Golden Rule suggest the answer is yes.

2.8.1 Cards can’t be in more than one position at once. Cards that are in out of play zones, the card pool, or are attached to other cards do not have a readiness state and cannot be committed or readied.

I was hesitant to rule either way yesterday, as I can see arguments for it working both ways.

Perfect_memory.jpg The_strength_within.jpg

09.jpg

Possible followup question, if you can commit an attack in this unlikely situation, and then used some Taki Support to move the attack to your staging area as a Face Down Foundation, would it retain it's committed state? Here I'd be rather inclined to say yes, even though it's kind of becoming a new card... on the other hand it is forgetting that it was an attack so it could be argued that it also forgets it's commital state.

You can't commit an attack in a card pool. Golden rule doesn't apply here.

Tagrineth said:

You can't commit an attack in a card pool. Golden rule doesn't apply here.

So if you played perfect memory and copied an ability that was enhance commit could you just not use it? and your card wasted?

It'd be nice to see something in the rules that said why this didn't work.

As it stands now I see the argument for it being:

1) PM says play it as though it was printed on the card.

2) Golden rule says cards override AGR.

3) ???

4) Profit.

I don't see "An ex-rules arbiter said the golden rule doesn't apply here" holding much weight w/ my players, unless it can be backed up w/ either some actual rules or a reasonable explanation of some kind.

Or an actual rules arbiter could step in w/ an explanation, that'd probably be good enough to. (;

Golden Rule requires more specific text. The example of Egyptian Temple works because the card specifically mentions committing cards in a card pool.

Perfect Memory, on the other hand, tells you to follow all restrictions and pay all costs. No mention of anything fancy you can do to pay said costs.

The AGR as you so kindly pointed out yourself says outright that cards in a card pool don't have a readiness state so the Golden Rule would have to apply for this to work, and it doesn't.

So... if the effect doesn't flat out say you can break a rule, Golden Rule does not apply.

So, if the card has a destroy cost, sonce destroying is defined as discarding from the staging area, you can't.

So... is this card ONLY to copy attacks in their card pool in Reversal decks, perhaps?

1. The Golden Rules
1.1 When a card’s text directly contradicts these rules, the card’s text takes precedence. (Unless
specifically discussed within these rules.)

1.2 Play all cards according to the wording of their most recent English printing, or errata as outlined in the
document found at: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ufs-support/errata.pdf
1.3 If a rule creates conflicting effects simultaneously, the player whose turn it is decides their order.
1.4 After searching any deck for any number of cards, the player owning the deck must reshuffle it.
1.5 Cards are never transferred to another player permanently as a result of card play. At the end of the
game, the cards you began the game with are returned to you.
1.6 When one effect says something can happen and another one says that it can’t, the “can’t” effect wins.
In other words, if there is an effect that says “Draw 1 card” and another effect that says “Players can’t
draw cards”, the “can’t” effect will win out and the player won’t be able to draw cards. Can’t effects will
not retroactively negate other effects.

guitalex2008 said:

So... if the effect doesn't flat out say you can break a rule, Golden Rule does not apply.

So, if the card has a destroy cost, sonce destroying is defined as discarding from the staging area, you can't.

So... is this card ONLY to copy attacks in their card pool in Reversal decks, perhaps?

It does only have 2 of the reversal themed characters in the picture and has 2 of the reversal tech symbols but i still think it could be put to other uses

As it stands now though i havent used it but as a block in my yun-seoung deck because im not sure about how all this works and i dont want headaches

Tagrineth said:

Golden Rule requires more specific text. The example of Egyptian Temple works because the card specifically mentions committing cards in a card pool.

Where does it say this please? I've read the AGR at least a half a dozen times, the Golden Rules section is quoted above. Please cite something that is actually in the AGR, or give more of an explanation then "the golden rule isn't good enough", or let someone else answer the question.

If I had an attack that had the enhance "E Commit: This attack gets +2 damage." when could I play that enhance?

Notice the wording. When a card's text DIRECTLY contradicts the rules. In other words, it has to be blunt and up front about how it wants you to break the rules (e.g. Egyptian Temple "You may commit cards in your card pool.", Finesse "You don't lose the game.", and a few others).

Nothing on Perfect Memory says anything about committing to pay costs, so it isn't directly contradicting any rules.

So what I said is right? Since the card doesn't flat out say you can commit it to pay the cost, you can't because it contradicts the rules, right?

Makes sense to me. *leaves*