First attempt at painting

By hippy777, in Star Wars: Armada Painting and Modification

My hands shake a lot so I can't do really small details very well but this is my first attempt at painting some squadrons (or miniatures at all)

They're not great, but still look better than they did out of the box so I'm OK with it.

I didn't have a place to host the pictures so I took 2 short videos of the squadrons and put them on YouTube

https://youtu.be/bBvpsUasOpw

https://youtu.be/fLgMEQHqZAI

Edited by hippy777

Watch how you brace yourself, put both elbows on the table to stop or limit the shakes.

If you brace your wrists you'll actually compound the problem as you have a pulse there that aggravates the shaking.

Thanks for the tip!

Shakes and all they are very good looking.

Thanks for sharing. :)

TY Amanal :) They're turning out better than I thought I was going to do that's for sure.

And I already prepared a story for any mistakes / ugliness....

Battle of Endor.

extra black smudge? Battle of Endor
crooked line? Battle of Endor

wrong color??? Battle of Endor

heh.

Keep in mind you tend to see the little wobbles and errors.

Most people looking at a model tend not to be 4" away from it as you may well be when painting it. As such I think people tend to be far more self critical that they should ever be.

Very true.

Shrunk down some pics so I could attach them

post-277792-0-77650800-1467008463_thumb.jpg

post-277792-0-58243600-1467008479_thumb.jpg

post-277792-0-54442400-1467008497_thumb.jpg

More to come when I get the file size small enough (tomorrow)

Give them a wash! Nuln oil works wonders in small doses

I have a bunch that are washed, I didn't want to do these ones, I wanted a squadron of "Fresh off the factory floor" look. The first batch I did have a lot of "battle damage" / flown thru explosions soot / smudges on them. Soon as I get htem under 325k size on disk, I'll post them here.

Stick them on Photobucket.

Then, view them there.

Then click the link on the side that has

and post that link here.....

Now Size is Irrelevant!

Yea I was trying to avoid a 3rd party hosting site as I don't already have an account set up or anything but every time I try to upload the dang photos the forum wants them to be smaller than the last time I did it so my new sizes are still a little too large. Grrrr...

Okay, Let me go set up a photobucket account (grumbles)

Yeah, the site is only budgeting a certain amount per account, total... So you're filling the tiny amount of space you have.

Edited by Drasnighta

They are slightly out of order and I uploaded the lower quality versions of the images but I hope it turns out well enough here: (Flood of pics incoming...)

20160608_160807_zps8xyxvimn.jpg

IMG_6728_zpsfcf35dop.jpg

IMG_6778_zpsg89eeqvv.jpg

20160608_210043_zpsgmlv1gsp.jpg

IMG_6722_zps6tt758xr.jpg

IMG_6760_zpsk9cmqbvv.jpg

IMG_6758_zpscnt1olt1.jpg

IMG_6757_zpsex2ykbzh.jpg

IMG_6754_zpsbbzasrvz.jpg

IMG_6753_zpskpboxlbp.jpg

IMG_6756_zpsezlzkxxz.jpg

IMG_6747_zpsrdjzowfx.jpg

IMG_6785_zpsfu7mqup1.jpg

IMG_6799_zpsqihu8r42.jpg

IMG_6804_zpshjfk8ro5.jpg

IMG_6794_zpsc7va6ard.jpg

IMG_6791_zpsodz3dv95.jpg

IMG_6765_zps4aoqibil.jpg

IMG_6766_zpskjlvab5t.jpg

It may have been a hassle to register, mate... But that is a much easier way of presenting the visual media for appraisal...

The stuff looks fantastic mate, no matter what order you look at it :D

Thanks Dras :)

I actually learned a lot by the end of the project (I have 3 left to do but had to head back to work so I can't get to them for a couple weeks)

But due to getting better brushes (man that made ALL the difference) and learning some stuff I plan on going back and retouching some of my first ones.

Plus I have a friend who wants me to paint his now

Edited by hippy777

Despite operating a paint-for-profit service, I am a firm believer that just about anyone can do it. :D

Very nice looking paint jobs there!

Even at those small scales, FF did a great job of detailing them, which likely makes it easier (or harder, depending on your POV) to paint them as lovingly as you did.

Well done!

Nice job on the squadrons - they're fiddly at the best of times :)

Very nice looking paint jobs there!

Even at those small scales, FF did a great job of detailing them, which likely makes it easier (or harder, depending on your POV) to paint them as lovingly as you did.

Well done!

Nice job on the squadrons - they're fiddly at the best of times :)

Thanks :) I actually plan on retouching some of my earlier work when I get back home ( I do shift work 2 weeks at a time) now that I've gotten some better brushes I think I can make better lines / details for sure

Finally got back home and got around to finishing up the last few paint jobs

IMG_6808_zps7gi6hqcy.jpg

IMG_6810_zpsdkbg58ga.jpg

IMG_6809_zpsmrke1dqa.jpg

IMG_6811_zpsrwzhmp60.jpg

IMG_6814_zpsir8jdibg.jpg

IMG_6815_zpsjzfbeize.jpg

IMG_6816_zpsucgb6rf4.jpg

IMG_6817_zpsy10kamia.jpg I

I don't mind how the Slave-1 turned out but I'm not 100% happy with the other two...